When Interest Rates turn the corner

Luvtoride

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Interesting article in the WSJ. I’m sure many of us remember this time in our younger days. I was buying my house and wondering how I was ever going to afford a 17% mortgage. Luckily, the seller who was moving to Florida took back the mortgage at a bargain 13% rate for this “nice young couple”.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-i...t=yvg1uc34gqzbu55&reflink=article_email_share

It’s true, the past is very clear but the future is very shrouded in fog.

We bought our first house in 1984 when 30 years rates were 16-3/4% we opted for a 13-3/4% three year balloon mortgage.

Bought my first house in 1978 at 6% interest. It seemed like a lot at the time, but proved to be a bargain over the next 10 years.

Bought a Co-Op in 1983 with a 12.25% mortgage. No decision making with extra monies whether to pay down the mortgage or invest in the market.

I'll laugh since I have a 30 year mortgage at 2.25% and no other debt.

That's a great rate!

Some of us back in that time of high interest rates also bought 10 year T-Bills at rates in the low to mid teens. (IIRC, 12-16% in the early 80's)

I cried when my last one matured.

Last edited:
I’m guessing those high rates in those days kept downward pressure on demand and prices? Or not? (The article is behind a paywall. What are the main points?)

Early 80s I got my first house at around 13.5%, IIRC.

I remember reading an article in either a print magazine like Newsweek/Time or the WSJ... gist of it was we would NEVER see rates below 10% again! :facepalm:

Last edited:
We bought our first house in 1984 when 30 years rates were 16-3/4% we opted for a 13-3/4% three year balloon mortgage.

Ah, balloon mortgages. When I bought my first (and only) crappy little starter home I opted for a "30 due in 5" balloon note. In 5 years I refi'd into a 30 due in 7 and then 6 years later finally refi'd into a 30 year fixed (which I ended up paying off in about 13 years).

This choice of balloon notes was a mistake born of my financial conservatism (even starting at age 30). Friends and colleagues of mine were going for adjustable mortgages, but I didn't want to take the risk of rates bouncing back up. Instead, as we all now know, rates steadily marched downward for 20+ years and adjustable mortgages ended up being the smarter call.

This wasn't the first or last time I lost money by worrying about the future rather than betting on it.

Bought our first house in 1980 with a 12% interest rate.

I’m not sure what our first mortgage was, but it must have been 12% or more. I remember that our first refinance was down to 10%. Not sure if it was that refinance or the next one, but we also went from 30 years to 15 years and kept the payment pretty close.

When I saw the title of this thread, I was hoping for some insight or strategies for when the interest rates turn the corner and starts going up. Not looking forward to all that goes along with it, but I wouldn’t mind having some safe money that pays a good interest rate again.

Last edited:
We got to assume a 10% VA loan in 1983. We felt like we'd hit the jackpot!

Back
Top Bottom