When Pigs Fly!

athena53

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I got a great laugh today.

I retired a year ago at age 61 rather than the planned-for age 65 because my BS bucket was full and because I could. Passive-aggressive boss (I pretty much fired myself) added the zinger to the agreement I signed that I was not eligible for re-employment (typically done only for total f-ups) and when I asked about keeping the company iPhone, said I could for $500 (I bought my own). The person behind the toxic politics that led to my resignation lasted less than a year herself.

I am, however, on very good terms with the immediate team members I worked with and one mentioned in an e-mail today that they were discussing the local corporate athletic competition- a series of events that goes on between May-June every year. When I participated for them I racked up mucho points in the endurance events (sprint triathlon, 3-mile bike race, mile and half-mile runs, 500-meter swim) , not because I'm fast but because there's very little competition in the female 60-65 age range so it's darn easy to place in the top 3. (Sometimes there are only 3.)

Anyway, she said the other person pointed out that as a retiree I could participate on the company team in future contests. Ummm, yeah. If you give me a free company T-shirt I might wipe my nose on it. Or worse. DH said maybe I could compete in a clown suit but that would be bad for my swim times. :D

My former coworker is a nice person and I think very highly of her. No need to spread venom. No, I won't be signing up!

Might mention that it is a charming thought, unfortunately the time conflicts with manicure/pedicure appointment.

I like it! I suspect the parties behind the "not eligible for rehire" stigma would find it most awkward if I tried to sign onto the company team. My contact knows enough of the details that she'll find it amusing if I ask her to tell them I've already booked manicures and pedicures into 2016 that conflict with the events.

I got a great laugh today.

I retired a year ago at age 61 rather than the planned-for age 65 because my BS bucket was full and because I could. Passive-aggressive boss (I pretty much fired myself) added the zinger to the agreement I signed that I was not eligible for re-employment (typically done only for total f-ups) and when I asked about keeping the company iPhone, said I could for $500 (I bought my own). The person behind the toxic politics that led to my resignation lasted less than a year herself.

I am, however, on very good terms with the immediate team members I worked with and one mentioned in an e-mail today that they were discussing the local corporate athletic competition- a series of events that goes on between May-June every year. When I participated for them I racked up mucho points in the endurance events (sprint triathlon, 3-mile bike race, mile and half-mile runs, 500-meter swim) , not because I'm fast but because there's very little competition in the female 60-65 age range so it's darn easy to place in the top 3. (Sometimes there are only 3.)

Anyway, she said the other person pointed out that as a retiree I could participate on the company team in future contests. Ummm, yeah. If you give me a free company T-shirt I might wipe my nose on it. Or worse. DH said maybe I could compete in a clown suit but that would be bad for my swim times. :D

My former coworker is a nice person and I think very highly of her. No need to spread venom. No, I won't be signing up!

You inspire me (with your endurance!! Wow!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

What would be even better is if you could somehow qualify to participate on a different team. Score all those points *against* your old company!

Pigs do fly...

Pink-Floyd-Battersea-Power-Station-pig-Animals.jpg

Great album, too, btw.

How flattering that your old company considers you a ringer!

Maybe see what their budget for ringers is.

How flattering that your old company considers you a ringer!

Maybe see what their budget for ringers is.

Sadly, paying for ringers would be a blatant violation of the rules. I did work for many years for another company that's a huge participant in the event; in fact, they got me into it and kept encouraging me to take on the more rigorous events. My first attempt at the triathlon (1/3 mile lake swim, 9 mile bike ride, 3K walk/run) was at age 55 and I was hooked! I owe a lot to that event and the people who encouraged me; I tested my limits and found them much wider than I thought. Now I do 35-mile charity bike rides.

You've given me an idea, though- I could check the rules and see if my original employer in this area could use me. I definitely didn't retire from there but if it's open to anyone who worked there, I'd be eligible.

Yeah, I left because my BS bucket was full as well and then the horrible boss retired after one year. I asked my "friends" back at my old job if I could come back as an on-call person and instead of them being nice and lying, they told me what they thought of me! I worked there for 28 years and had good relationships (or so I thought!) with most of the folks. I was their manager for three years and I guess I ruffled some feathers because I didn't just let them do what the hell they wanted. I go back there several times a week (It's a library and I am a voracious reader) but I no longer go upstairs to see my "friends" or chat at the desk. I'm done with them and chalk it up to another f*cking learning experience! I now look on my job as a 28 year fun librarian job and that is it. All my real friends from there also retired when they couldn't take it anymore!

I recently put a stop in for my old companies newsletter. It's been 11 years and I can live without any new, work more, for less money initiatives. Or more phony company awards, the company gives itself. I've seen plenty already.....thanks, but no thanks. I'm ussually too busy to think (or care) about it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom