When to Give Notice

In my case, I gave 2 months notice in June 2015. I was about to be assigned a new 3-4 year project and decided it was time to let someone else take it from the start. I was asked if I could work part time to the end of the year, to close loose ends. I passed off all my long term projects, closed out a few short term ones, and then worked the others until someone could take over.

It was a very pleasant end to a 27 year career there. Left on good terms. Still communicate with a few former co-workers.

There is a certain personal satisfaction knowing you left on your time line with no hard feelings

I would think that, if you want to benefit from the possible bonus, profit sharing etc, And you don't want to leave your boss hanging, wait till those bonuses are a done deal before giving notice. Give notice of 2-4 weeks. And offer to stay up to another month if they want you to stay. Best of both worlds IMO.

I read through the links that Aerides posted and thought this response by CRLLS back in Jan. 2016 was really good (apologies to anyone else who might have suggested this).

I think it is the best of both worlds. You wait to give your notice until you've banked any bonus, options, etc. you've got coming, and then give two weeks notice (or the minimum required). This covers you.

You also say you'd be willing to extend your end date for some reasonable (but limited) period of time if it will help them transition your responsibilities. This covers them.

Last edited:
Considering the OP was leaving July 31, 2021, it is highly unlikely that bonuses will be on or near that date. Usually they are awarded some time after the 1st of the year. I doubt that there is a best of both worlds in her case.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is that some companies' health insurance ends on the day you quit, others ends on the last day of the month you quit. Meaning that if you are an "employee" on the first day of the month, you may be covered for the whole month. It may be something that RobotMom might check before stating July 31st. For instance declaring the Aug 2nd, 3rd or 4th (early the next week) may get her the full month of Aug's health insurance.

Back
Top Bottom