when to stop 529 contributions?

anothercog

Recycles dryer sheets
I have 3 kids ages 16, 13 and 12. I'm assuming they will all go to college (well at least the older two, the youngest is a knucklehead).

Right now I've got $360k saved in 529s for the three of them. If any of them end up going to community college I'll be overfunded. If any of them to go to an expensive private school, I'll be underfunded.

If they all go to in-state CA universities, I'll be just about right.

What's the right amount to save? Has anyone had any issues with overfunded 529s? What do you do with the leftovers?

17, 15, 11 here, and if I'm valuing my GI Bill correctly, I have about the same amount as you. Unfortunately, the 17 yr old is interested in private schools more than Virginia's state universities.

If some $ is left over from the first move it to the next younger. It may be that one will want to go to graduate school.

In the end, you can spread it among each account and if they have children use it for them.

Good problem to have! I've got $80K set aside for my 3 grandchildren ages 6, 4 and 1 so I'm not at that point yet.

Are you at a point where you can gauge the individual kids and figure out what they're likely to want/need? One friend, for example, said he had 2 daughters who wanted to be stay-at-home mothers if they could and he planned to send them to the local state university for teaching degrees. The son wanted to be an investment banker. He went to Boston College or Boston U., I forget which. Someone planning on a career requiring a good grad school might need a high-power undergrad degree from a private university with a good program in that field.

Do you have any other relatives who would qualify to use the funds if your kids don't? Would it be an opportunity to realize your lifelong dream of training to be an opera singer?:D

There is no single correct answer. For our daughters, my wife and I set the goal of fully funding four years at a University of California school. Once we reached that point, I monitored the college costs to make sure that we were on track and made some small additional contributions. The first daughter graduated and consumed about 98% of "her" 529. The second daughter is in college now, and we appear to be on track for a similar result. Our commitment to them was for four years at a UC or equivalent.

Had either daughter seriously entertained a private university, they would have been on hook for the difference unless they could adequately explain to me the benefit derived from the additional cost. Since both are in fields that will require graduate degrees, that would have been a hard case to make ;-)

There is no single correct answer. For our daughters, my wife and I set the goal of fully funding four years at a University of California school. Once we reached that point, I monitored the college costs to make sure that we were on track and made some small additional contributions. The first daughter graduated and consumed about 98% of "her" 529. The second daughter is in college now, and we appear to be on track for a similar result. Our commitment to them was for four years at a UC or equivalent.

Had either daughter seriously entertained a private university, they would have been on hook for the difference unless they could adequately explain to me the benefit derived from the additional cost. Since both are in fields that will require graduate degrees, that would have been a hard case to make ;-)

That is my mindset as well but if they have their hearts set on a private university and it is a better fit for them, I'll help make that happen (hopefully with some help from the Grandparents).

Did you receive any financial aid or scholarships for your daughters? What is your actual costs vs. estimated budget put out by the schools? I'm wondering likelihood of having to pay full freight for a UC school.

I guess the odds are fair that at least one of them will go on to grad school so it probably makes sense to keep contributing until I at least know where the first one is going. I have been contributing $1,000/month split between the 3 of them since shortly after they were born.

Well, you've asked two different questions.

I have three kids: DS25, DS20, and DD18. DS25 is finishing his BBA next week from an in-state public university. DS20 is on a COVID / maturity break from an out of state private school where he's a sophomore seeking a BSME. DD18 just finished their first semester at an in state public university seeking a BA in music education; they're approximately a sophomore.

I did much as @dak2018 did. I picked an amount as a goal (in my case 4 years of public university tuition/fees/room/board/books/necessities per kid) and saved up enough in their 529s to hit that amount after accounting for growth and using up the accounts when they were getting their degrees.

As they have gotten closer and firmed up their plans, I've gradually shifted my spreadsheet from reflecting a generic 4 year university to reflecting their specific university timing and costs. This has honestly caused some major swings, as my oldest went from a full ride scholarship to paying OOP for school 1, then stopping out for a few years and working, to going back and finishing at school 2. DS20's out of state school is expensive, but he gets a big scholarship and a lot of financial aid from the school. DD18 was free at their first school but is talking about transferring to an out of state public which could cost an extra $120K net OOP.

So my summary answer to your first question is: (1) pick a reasonable number as a target, (2) fund toward that target, (3) be ready to be flexible.

For the second question of what to do with excess, there are several answers:

The first simple defense is shifting money between accounts. My kids 529s are all from my home state, and so I can move money between them very easily. While each of them has followed very different paths with different timing and different costs, it turns out that the average of the three kids' plans approximately will end up close to my original funding target.

The second defense is leaving the leftover money in the 529 and using it for education expenses after your three kids finish their undergrad degrees. They could use it for graduate degrees. You could use it for another degree for you or your partner. It could be a head start on your grandchildren's educations. If you're generous, you could gift or sell it to your nieces and nephews for their educations (if they go to college after your kids do).

A third defense is scholarships. If your kid gets scholarships (or goes to a military academy), then you can take money out of the 529 and only pay income taxes on the gain (so it ends up acting sort of like a traditional IRA in that way).

A fourth defense is just to withdraw the excess. You'll pay income taxes plus a 10% penalty, but only on the portion of the withdrawal that is a gain. While I try to avoid penalties, if you do the math this actually isn't that bad.

A fifth defense it to wait and make sure they're not going to use it. Currently my DD18 is literally getting paid to go to school - they have 8 scholarships and they sent her two checks totaling a few thousand dollars which was the excess of the scholarships over their fall school billing statement. And that ignores any COVID payments that they got. Figuring that into my plan, I thought I had overfunded 529s. However, as noted above, DD18 wants to switch to a different (out-of-state) school, which may increase our OOP costs by $120K or so. That extra $120K will sop up any excess/overfunding I thought I had in their 529s. If that happens, I'll use up the 529s and then switch to my contingency plans for "What do I do if I don't have enough in their college funds?"

One trick we're doing with my oldest son: He has some excess 529 money and wants to put it towards a house down payment. Since he is graduating this year and has been a poor college student this year with basically zero income, we made the excess withdrawal last month. He won't owe the 10% penalty because he had enough in scholarships to use the scholarship exemption. And he basically won't owe any income taxes on the withdrawal because the amount is under his standard exemption. So effectively a tax free withdrawal. If he had made the withdrawal next year, then it would have been piled on top of his wage income from his job and he may have owed 22% income tax on the 529 withdrawal.

So the trick here is to make any excess 529 withdrawal in the fall before they graduate, when their income tax situation is likely to be better than when they start their job.

Last edited:
That is my mindset as well but if they have their hearts set on a private university and it is a better fit for them, I'll help make that happen (hopefully with some help from the Grandparents).

Did you receive any financial aid or scholarships for your daughters? What is your actual costs vs. estimated budget put out by the schools? I'm wondering likelihood of having to pay full freight for a UC school.

I guess the odds are fair that at least one of them will go on to grad school so it probably makes sense to keep contributing until I at least know where the first one is going. I have been contributing $1,000/month split between the 3 of them since shortly after they were born.

The costs were reasonably close to the University estimates - really you can take tuition + fees + housing and that covers most of the cost. Books were trivial in the scheme of things - I required the kids to pay for books + incidentals after the first year. They get creative on the books, and most of the courses did not use standard texts anyway as the professors assembled course readers that are pretty inexpensive.

Some cost reduction was achieved by moving the kids into an apartment rather than having them live in the dorms. Off campus housing saved about 15 - 20% relative to the cost of dorms + meal plan. Extravagant eating habits can quickly close that gap!

There was no real financial aid offered. Basically if you are in a income position to save that much for the kids education, the only thing that will be offered is loans. Big help there ;-) There is limited merit aid for National Merit Finalists, and there are a few merit based scholarships, but the majority of the aid at UC schools is reserved for people that really need the help. I understood that early on, and like you simply decided to save the amount required for their undergraduate degrees and be done with it. If you have the resources, it is simply easier to allocate the dollars and move along with life. This did make for interesting conversations with people in similar financial positions that did not set aside the dollars and were now faced with attempting to cash flow the whole bill. They really faced sticker shock.

I have two kids (10 & 12) and in basically the same boat (~120k for each kid). I have stopped contributing to 529 this year and hope it will be enough. If not, we'll just pay for the difference at that time.

The second defense is leaving the leftover money in the 529 and using it for education expenses after your three kids finish their undergrad degrees. They could use it for graduate degrees. You could use it for another degree for you or your partner. It could be a head start on your grandchildren's educations. If you're generous, you could gift or sell it to your nieces and nephews for their educations (if they go to college after your kids do).

I am thinking of spending any excess on some sort of education for myself and DW

We have three grandkids, a grandson age 3 and grand twins (one each) age 2. We have a total of ~$134k put away so far. We’re targeting paying for the Penn State main campus for four years. Any more needed than that they can work for or get mom and dad to pay for it. Any unused funds can either be moved to one that has used up their share or there are plenty of grand nieces and nephews around that could use it.
A calculator on one of 529 plan sites shows we are actually behind on our savings based on their projections. So we need to bump up our contributions.

17, 15, 11 here, and if I'm valuing my GI Bill correctly, I have about the same amount as you. Unfortunately, the 17 yr old is interested in private schools more than Virginia's state universities.

Ask the 17 yo how he/she is going to pay for that private school.

On a serious note, are the private schools your 17 yo interested in "yellow ribbon" schools?

I went ahead and stopped future contribution to my kids' 529 plans today. I suspected that when the day came, my mom and stepdad would help pay for school. We are still a few years away but they called me today to explain they have more money than they know what to do with thanks to my step-father's generous pension + social security +RMDs. They asked me if they should set up 529s for the kids and I said no because 1) they are already well funded and 2) my oldest is only 2 years away from college and the investment horizon is too short for the benefits of a 529 to outweigh the cons.

So it looks like they are just going to give me a chunk of change to earmark for each kid. They can use it for school or down payment on a house or whatever but I don't want them to have it to blow on something stupid (I won't even tell them about it until the time comes). Should I hold it in an account in my name or put in the a custodian account? I think the latter account would not be good for financial aid but I doubt we will qualify for aid anyway. If I hold in my name, I'll have to pay taxes on any gains.

Any suggestions?

I don't see why additional 529 contributions would not be a good idea even with a relatively short time horizon. You don't know how expensive their college educations will be, they may go on to graduate school. If it is not exhausted you could change the beneficiary to a grandchild making it an inter-generational fund.

The state schools in Virginia are, as you probably know, both very competitive and very good values. I would personally not have sprung for private school living in Virginia.

Back to the topic: I funded the 529 conservatively as I did not want to strand money in there. I ran a bit short but just added funds late to get the state tax deduction. All the allowable expenses went through 529.

Should I hold it in an account in my name or put in the a custodian account? I think the latter account would not be good for financial aid but I doubt we will qualify for aid anyway. If I hold in my name, I'll have to pay taxes on any gains.
If you use a custodian account, then your kids might find out about it at tax time. That presumes the sum of income from your investment and what they make adds to enough to require filing. Of course you could just "do the kid a favor" and file their taxes electronically so they wouldn't see the gains on the investment (and ask you about it). But that's probably not legal, and I wouldn't advise going in that direction. If you're getting need-based financial aid at all, this income directed to the child will hit hard...much harder than your marginal tax rate. If it were me, I'd just keep it in an account titled to myself and not worry about the taxes. But if you want to put a fine point on it, you could do your taxes with and without the gains, and keep a tabulation of the taxes you paid, then subtract that when you distribute the funds.

So it looks like they are just going to give me a chunk of change to earmark for each kid.

Should I hold it in an account in my name or put in the a custodian account? I think the latter account would not be good for financial aid but I doubt we will qualify for aid anyway. If I hold in my name, I'll have to pay taxes on any gains.

Any suggestions?
If you think the money might impact financial aid eligibility, tell them to keep it for now. Rather than transferring it to you or the kids, let them set it aside but have it stay in their name so that it doesn't show up on your FAFSA. If it's needed for college expenses, they can use it to pay bills directly. Maybe they pay for that new laptop or books or plane tickets for the kid to fly home on break or spending money for their study abroad semester. And if it's not needed for college, it can become their graduation gift.

If you think the money might impact financial aid eligibility, tell them to keep it for now. Rather than transferring it to you or the kids, let them set it aside but have it stay in their name so that it doesn't show up on your FAFSA. If it's needed for college expenses, they can use it to pay bills directly. Maybe they pay for that new laptop or books or plane tickets for the kid to fly home on break or spending money for their study abroad semester. And if it's not needed for college, it can become their graduation gift.

Honestly I think having so much money is kind of stressing them out and they just want it out of their "estate." They don't likely have enough to worry about estate taxes but I think they just want to do something with it. I did however recommend that they just make payments directly to the schools for their 2 grandkids (my nieces) that are currently in college.

It probably won't make any difference if they give it to us to hold for the kids from a financial aid perspective. We are not likely to qualify for need based aid based on our assets unless they get into Harvard where we may be poor by comparison to the Kushner's of the world.

So it looks like they are just going to give me a chunk of change to earmark for each kid. They can use it for school or down payment on a house or whatever but I don't want them to have it to blow on something stupid (I won't even tell them about it until the time comes). Should I hold it in an account in my name or put in the a custodian account? I think the latter account would not be good for financial aid but I doubt we will qualify for aid anyway. If I hold in my name, I'll have to pay taxes on any gains.

Any suggestions?

If the gift means they don't qualify for financial aid, then they probably don't need financial aid.
What message do you wan the kids to take away from this experience?

The state schools in Virginia are, as you probably know, both very competitive and very good values. I would personally not have sprung for private school living in Virginia.

Back to the topic: I funded the 529 conservatively as I did not want to strand money in there. I ran a bit short but just added funds late to get the state tax deduction. All the allowable expenses went through 529.
BigDawg and Montecfo, she got in to an excellent state school in VA, and a small private school also in VA. Private school offered a minimum of $116k over 4 years, which drops the cost to less than the state school. Waiting to hear back from another college in NY. I'm much more supportive now of the small private school than I was back in December!

Back on topic, at this point I'm funding the 529 for the state tax deduction. Given the scholarship mentioned above, it feels like the 529 might be getting overfunded a bit at this point. But with retirement accounts in a good spot already, I think that's better than underfunding things.

Last edited:
BigDawg and Montecfo, she got in to an excellent state school in VA, and a small private school also in VA. Private school offered a minimum of $116k over 4 years, which drops the cost to less than the state school. Waiting to hear back from another college in NY. I'm much more supportive now of the small private school than I was back in December!

Back on topic, at this point I'm funding the 529 for the state tax deduction. Given the scholarship mentioned above, it feels like the 529 might be getting overfunded a bit at this point. But with retirement accounts in a good spot already, I think that's better than underfunding things.

Yeah, you shouldn’t write off private schools until you see what kind of aid/scholarships they offer. Few will pay list price at private schools as many have huge endowments.

There is no state tax deduction here in CA so no incentive to keep funding. Even without my parents gift, I’m pretty close to fully funding a UC school. My oldest is hoping to attend a middle college program next year which will give him 1-2 years of college credit by the time he finishes high school. If he goes to a UC, he should graduate in 3 years or less.

Yeah, you shouldn’t write off private schools until you see what kind of aid/scholarships they offer. Few will pay list price at private schools as many have huge endowments.
Very true. Our daughter went to private school. List price was around 50K. Our daughter got $19,500/year as an academic scholarship. Then while there she was awarded a $3,000/yr departmental scholarship for years 2-4.

I only put about 60K in the 529 and cash flowed the rest, but we also get no state tax deduction for contributions.

+1

DD2 is in the final stages of receiving her offer letter and merit scholarships. We don't qualify for any need based aid.

She's gotten really nice offers from both private schools and out-of-state universities. The best so far is worth $130k over four years to study at a private, high tech university. (She's going into biomedical engineering.) She also has received scholarships of $60-72k over four years from out of state public schools.

I would suggest anyone saving for college investigate SAGE scholarships. They are essentially coupons to lots of private schools.

I forget the exact formula, but when you put money into a 529 you get SAGE points. Points become coupons that guarantee you a minimum amount of aid at various private schools. If your need based/merit aid would otherwise exceed the amount of the coupon, there's no benefit but it sets a floor at the schools.

Remember that if the 529 ends up being overfunded and the kid got scholarships, there is an exception to the 10% penalty on the earnings portion of 529 withdrawals. They'll still owe ordinary income taxes on the earnings portion though. See Exception 3a in IRS Pub 970, page 62, column 2. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

Another trick I did was have the excess withdrawn in the fall of my DS25's senior year. As a "poor college student" with low income, he won't pay much if any ordinary income taxes on that nonqualified withdrawal since his income from all sources probably falls within the standard deduction. If we had done the withdrawal this year, it'd be added on top of his nice full time job salary and be taxed at 22%.

Back
Top Bottom