Where do we all live?

Scottsdale, Arizona. Came here 23 years ago and have yet to feel the itch to leave.

I see a few people who are living in areas where I spent some time. Working backwards I have lived in Houston, PA; Baden, Switzerland; Cincinnati, OH; Harrisburg, NC; Boca Raton, FL; East Lansing, MI; Rialto, CA; and Cleveland, OH. My family left Cleveland when I was young so my memories of the area are limited. Growing up in southern California was a lot of fun.

Want to house swap for a year and try out Fargo, ND? :confused:

It is a warm 0F right now. Actually quite hot out compared to last week.

6-8 inches of snow tomorrow through Thursday.

I'm sure the heat gets a bit old after 4-5 months there, but nothing gets old like 5-6 months of hard winter.:(

Don't just do something. Stay there. :popcorn:

Same here in the SW metro. I love the summers here and the winter when we get lots of snow that sticks around. That hasn't happened much in the last 4 years since I have been back in the country. That makes me think about moving somewhere warmer but I really hate hot/muggy and hothot/dry isn't so appealing either. I was just in Puerto Vallarta for 85F and a touch muggy but I got used to it. Then I came home to -30F without the windchill :(

I think about moving up closer to the city as I always drive up there for good music and festivals. Plus it would be great to be closer to the airport for all those sub $100 flights to do for fun. Then again -30F makes me think about moving south. The problem is I don't know of an ideal place. Lot's of outdoor active sports and culture here. It is on the expensive side but it's not CA or NYC.

What's great about where you live?

We acclimated to the sub-zero temps during the first winter in MN by getting the right gear. Never got use to the 5-6 month long winters and commuting in the dark both ways for 3 months each year. Wonderful summers except for the state bird (mosquitoes).

We split our time between Cocoa Beach Fl, and Crescent City CA. Crescent City is where the Redwood National Park is - which is an incredible place. If anybody wants to stay at a nice vacation rental on the ocean and visit the Redwoods, feel free to send a PM. Happy to give a deal to people on the forum.

Semi retired for 6 months. ( 3 days/week very flexible). Lived in Pittsburgh most of my life and had a vacation condo in New Orleans for 12 years (thanks to advice from this website I just upgraded to a slightly larger condo). Plan to fully retire at 62 if the job holds out and spend part of the year in both cities.

I live in Beach Park (Lake County), Illinois...the far northeast corner of Illinois that sits on Lake Michigan and on the Wisconsin border. We have the highest property taxes as a percentage of home value in the country, and the highest percentage of property taxes as a percentage of household income in the country. 13% of the homes in Lake County, IL that have a mortgage pay more in monthly property taxes than they do on principal and interest on their mortgage. I purchased my home in April 2007, right before the mortgage and housing crisis and I am $50K underwater. I can't sell my home and don't have enough money to bring to the table to get out. I may have to give it back to the bank. And, I ended up putting down $38K as a down payment. I'm screwed. Illinois is screwed with property taxes and corruption.

Far west edge of Reno (about 7 miles from the Cali border), a 1/4 mile from the Truckee River.

Previously lived 25 years in Kingwood, TX (about 15 miles directly East of the Woodlands poster). Before that, grad school in Riverside, CA near the avocado forest of another poster.

North Shore Kauai since 2017, moved 2 years after retiring at 55. DH still doing some w**k with clients in the midwest, but winding down. We've owned our condo here for 5 years, testing the waters and renting on VRBO when we weren't visiting before our final move. We've been very happy here, and have found ways to live "simply" to manage the high COL. Hope to be here for many more years.
That sounds like quite an adventure and culture change from the midwest.

I live in Beach Park (Lake County), Illinois...the far northeast corner of Illinois that sits on Lake Michigan and on the Wisconsin border. We have the highest property taxes as a percentage of home value in the country, and the highest percentage of property taxes as a percentage of household income in the country. 13% of the homes in Lake County, IL that have a mortgage pay more in monthly property taxes than they do on principal and interest on their mortgage. I purchased my home in April 2007, right before the mortgage and housing crisis and I am $50K underwater. I can't sell my home and don't have enough money to bring to the table to get out. I may have to give it back to the bank. And, I ended up putting down $38K as a down payment. I'm screwed. Illinois is screwed with property taxes and corruption.

Feel bad for you. Illinois was one of eight states I have lived in, and the only one I would never consider returning to. Was there in 1982-1985, and it was a joke then. It may be worth, if possible, selling the house and rolling the debt into a new purchase outside of IL.

We split our time between Cocoa Beach Fl, and Crescent City CA. Crescent City is where the Redwood National Park is - which is an incredible place. If anybody wants to stay at a nice vacation rental on the ocean and visit the Redwoods, feel free to send a PM. Happy to give a deal to people on the forum.

Cocoa Beach or Merritt Island?

Lived in Cocoa Beach for a couple years & loved it. It was near the top of our FIRE places list but, got bumped when it came decision time. Still, it’s a great place in my book.

Cocoa Beach or Merritt Island?

Lived in Cocoa Beach for a couple years & loved it. It was near the top of our FIRE places list but, got bumped when it came decision time. Still, it’s a great place in my book.

Hi! Have lived in both, but our current place is indeed on MI. Most people have never heard of MI, so I always use CCB. We are looking at a place on the ocean at the south end of CCB now...not too far from Taco City. Curious as to why you cut CCB, and what you ended up picking instead. For us it came down to MI/CCB, Reno NV, or Sequim WA for our second house. There were many more in the running, but those were the final three in the end.

Dayton, Ohio area. Small 32 acre farm. Been here over 30 years and raised 4 kids. Plan to stick around here, but at some point we may do the snow bird thing and go South in the winter time.

North Central Iowa for 19 yrs

East suburb of Cleveland 35 yrs

Sun City Center, Florida 3 yrs. Finally where it is warm! Love it!

Have not been there but it looks amazing. Is that where you live? Where is nearest town or city?

Seems ideal for wildlife and visuals.

Nearest shopping is an hour away on the Mexican border Douglas. I live on the east slope of the Chiricahua Mountains, in a different canyon 6 miles south. From Eagle Ridge.jpg

Michigan, central lower penninsula. Been in this area all our lives. Michigan is a beautiful state, with the great lakes never more than 1-2 hours away in several directions from us. Don't partake in snow activities as much as when we were younger, but don't mind winter either. Summers are beautiful. Sometimes go south for a couple weeks in the winter, but no intentions of moving there - got those grandkid anchors here!

Anywhere I want :dance:

Attachments

• F98B228F-51F6-40D5-A207-882A11C34EE8.jpg
    F98B228F-51F6-40D5-A207-882A11C34EE8.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
We moved to the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees (Cary, NC) in 2000. Not planning on moving anytime soon.

As a previous poster noted, we, too, live in southwest Riverside County, CA, just a stones throw from the avocado capital of the world. Just recently sold our home in avocado country after 30 years. Currently sharing a rental with my daughter and her family while we research where to move. Want to leave California but must be within 400 miles driving distance of north San Diego County. Considering St. George, UT and Las Vegas but concerned Phoenix may be too hot.

As a previous poster noted, we, too, live in southwest Riverside County, CA, just a stones throw from the avocado capital of the world. Just recently sold our home in avocado country after 30 years. Currently sharing a rental with my daughter and her family while we research where to move. Want to leave California but must be within 400 miles driving distance of north San Diego County. Considering St. George, UT and Las Vegas but concerned Phoenix may be too hot.

Have been to St George on a vacation/golf trip. It’s a nice place for outdoors activities & golf, and I’ve found the people there to be very friendly. Also, LCOL compared to Riverside County.

Last edited:
Come up to Ventura County. I think the COL is less than Riverside.

Back
Top Bottom