Where do we all live?

Logan Martin Lake, east central Alabama --- Heaven can't be too far from here!

We live in St. Augustine,FL. I was born in a small town in Alabama. After a week in the hospital, Mom returned to Florida (with me). So, minus one week - I've lived in Florida all my life.

We live in St. Augustine,FL. I was born in a small town in Alabama. After a week in the hospital, Mom returned to Florida (with me). So, minus one week - I've lived in Florida all my life.

We are neighbors :D We are on the Island by 312.

Thanks yakers. Didn’t know subway system in LA was “that good.”

What do you find Pasadena better over LA and rest of CA? Is COL significantly lower?

COL is above many parts of LA but lower than the highest parts of LA. LA is REALLY diverse. Pasadena is not much affected by hollywood/media, it has a more academic (CALTECH) and technical JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory) feeling. There are 100 restaurants in a 6 square block area in downtown. It is a Southern California destination place like 3rd St Santa Monica and the UCLA/Westwood areas, full of life, shopping and the arts. Just definitely not LCOL compared to most of the US, maybe to the LA westside or most of SF. The subway system Pasadena to downtown LA is excellent, maybe not so good for getting to other areas (LAX?). One of the few places where a person could live without a car.

As a previous poster noted, we, too, live in southwest Riverside County, CA, just a stones throw from the avocado capital of the world. Just recently sold our home in avocado country after 30 years. Currently sharing a rental with my daughter and her family while we research where to move. Want to leave California but must be within 400 miles driving distance of north San Diego County. Considering St. George, UT and Las Vegas but concerned Phoenix may be too hot.

Springdale UT near Zion is pretty cool but it’s small town.

Champaign, Illinois - home of the University of Illinois C-U. One of the main reasons we like it here. Offers many diverse activities and great restaurants. Also DH/me alma mater. We met at Murphy's pub 37 years ago. We had a blast in the 80's. Best music, parties and sadly, preparation for the real world of work.

My youngest son graduated from the engineering school there. Great school and he has done very well after graduation. That is a nice area with great entertainment and restaurants.

My son went to graduate school there and it’s a nice town.

too funny...a thread is started because people don't complete their profile!

Hi! Have lived in both, but our current place is indeed on MI. Most people have never heard of MI, so I always use CCB. We are looking at a place on the ocean at the south end of CCB now...not too far from Taco City. Curious as to why you cut CCB, and what you ended up picking instead. For us it came down to MI/CCB, Reno NV, or Sequim WA for our second house. There were many more in the running, but those were the final three in the end.
We love about a mile south of Dragon point.

We retired in place in Austin, TX. Not a cheap place to move to, but cheap enough to stay with the over 65 property tax freeze. Kids, grandkids and good friends are here so we don't feel the need to move. Nice to see some other fellow Central Texans on here!

Vung Tau, Vietnam, about 2 hours from Saigon. We live a couple blocks from the beach. Before that I did 3 years in Northern Calif but I earned the right to FIRE by spending 17 in China, mostly Shanghai, working my butt off!

Vung Tau, Vietnam, about 2 hours from Saigon. We live a couple blocks from the beach. Before that I did 3 years in Northern Calif but I earned the right to FIRE by spending 17 in China, mostly Shanghai, working my butt off!

So, you must be fluent in Chinese. I’d expect that's necessary to feel comfortable living in Vietnam, especially in a smaller city.

Tell us more about Vung Tau. Are the beaches/water nice? Can you see the offshore rigs from the beach?

So, you must be fluent in Chinese. I’d expect that's necessary to feel comfortable living in Vietnam, especially in a smaller city.

Tell us more about Vung Tau. Are the beaches/water nice? Can you see the offshore rigs from the beach?

Yes, I did put in the effort to learn Chinese and it sure made life there more intetesting and engaging! I am trying to learn Vietnamese now too, but it seems more difficult as the ng, nh, kh and c sounds are very challenging! Plus its tonal too which adds another level of complexity. It compensates that with forgiving grammer and relatively stable verb forms and simple tense, hehe

Vung Tau has two main beaches - front and back beach. Front is sadly, quite polluted. Its more like a bay with lots of oily fishing boats and tourist garbage on the beach. Front is where you can see all the vessels in the petro industry coming and going. Rigs are farther out beyond the line of vision. Back Beach is much better, has fun little waves to body surf on and is free of the dirty fishing indusry!

Come visit anytime!

Western NY. Why: Guessing because it is thirty minutes from three different ski resorts. Need to really rethink this (stumbled into the area almost by 100% chance and never left).

Just moved to Leander, TX about four months ago. My wife and I were born, raised, educated, and worked in California our entire lives. Made the move because our only child relocated to Austin about three years ago for her job and to permanently live there (she loves Austin and Texas in general much more than she did the South Bay and California).

Currently waiting on a house build to be completed some time around May-June of this year. Spent a bit more than originally planned, but the cost of the house will be less than 25% of the price we sold our 23+ year house in California.

Just moved to Leander, TX about four months ago. My wife and I were born, raised, educated, and worked in California our entire lives. Made the move because our only child relocated to Austin about three years ago for her job and to permanently live there (she loves Austin and Texas in general much more than she did the South Bay and California).

Currently waiting on a house build to be completed some time around May-June of this year. Spent a bit more than originally planned, but the cost of the house will be less than 25% of the price we sold our 23+ year house in California.

Austin is one place we’ve considered if we ever leave So CA. How wound you compare the lifestyle?

Back
Top Bottom