where to store will

A copy with the attorney, and another in our fireproof safe. Our executor has the combination.
We're not talking about copies, but rather duplicate originals. Executing duplicate originals can create a variety of legal problems. Most state laws provide that a will is revoked by destroying it. What is the result when this is done but there is a duplicate original? Just an example of the problems this creates. Also, there is the issue of whether the execution of a duplicate original revokes the earlier one just executed. Good lawyers have only one will executed.
Bruce

Our estate documents (wills, powers of attorney, titles, insurance info, blah, blah, are in document holders in a set of notebooks, with instructions, all in a "fireproof" box. The box isn't locked.

The original of my will usually lives in my safe deposit box, and my older brother, who is also my executor and holds my health care POA (he is a doctor) is also a signatory on the box. I keep the keys to the box in my house but my brother also has a door key, so he would have no problem getting in if he needs to. I needed to make a copy of my health care POA earlier this year, took the will out at the same time by mistake, and haven't gotten around to putting them back yet.

When we had our wills drawn up the lawyer kept a copy in the office and our copy is in a fireproof safe. When my dad moved across the country, he had is will and power of attorney redone, as the laws had changed substantially since the first will 15 years before. The same procedure was done by a different attorney, so I am quite sure that is probably the best procedure. I wouldn't keep anything with ink on it in a freezer, as ice and condensation could ruin the document. Besides, a freezer is an electrical appliance and is NOT fire safe!

Back
Top Bottom