Who would want to visit Texas

That's actually an understatement.

I was the manager of a printing plant at the time and the employee turnover was insane - frequently 20%+ per month. I had a number of employees who never returned from lunch - headhunters would approach them in the parking lot of a fast food joint with a job offer.

The most miserable 18 months of my life...
Wow - what a story!

I remember there seemed to be so much tension - like everyone was on an adrenaline rush. I saw lots of senseless things people did just for the hell of it. After laid back Austin, it was pretty freaky. Only spent a total of a year in Houston in the late 70s and never wanted to go back. So when I finally really visited again in the 2000s, it was quite a revelation.

Houston has changed a lot since I moved here over 20 years ago. Where we live in The Woodlands is becoming the energy center of the town with XOM building the $4 Billion complex on almost 400 acres. Along with that, several large oil/petrochemical companies are rooting their corporate office's here.

Besides, oil/gas/chemicals, we have one of the best medical services complexes in the U.S.

There is also a very busy international shipping port and lots of manufacturing.

Plus, we have some darn good Mexican restaurants that are not TexMex style.

Speaking of Houston, I was born and raised there and I can say without a doubt (IMO) the best thing about the city is highway I45 northbound. These days, you really can't tell you are out of the city (and surrounding communities) until you get to mile marker 100, which is about 50 miles from downtown Houston. After that, God's county begins for the next ~100 miles no matter if you continue directly north, or head northeast or northwest.

Last edited:
Houston has changed a lot since I moved here over 20 years ago.

Talk about change, 20 years before you moved to the Woodlands, I hunted dove and deer on a 20,000+ acre track of dry and open land just a little north of where you are. (No fences, no houses, and just a few dirt roads about as far as you could see) That land is now underwater and is called Lake Conroe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom