Why do some folks have so much trouble wearing masks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It seems like common sense to our family and friends. It is not an inconvenience, in fact it makes us feel a lot more secure when grocery shopping. I do not know why folks have such an aversion in doing what is best for themselves and others.

We did a little un-scientific survey in our location, and here is what we found. This is in Northeast Florida at some local stores we go to. This was done between 8:30am and 11am yesterday, Wednesday 5-20-2020.

Aldi - About 95% of folks were wearing masks, I only spotted 1 youngish woman and her 2 children and one other woman who seemed to be about 90-12 :) years old without. The store was about half full.

Publix - About 90% of folks were wearing Masks
Winn Dixie - About 50:50
Save a Lot Foods (Discount Food Chain) I was the only one masked.
Home Depot - VERY Few Folks were wearing masks.
Lowes - About 75% had Masks on.
Dollar General - I was the only one with a mask
Dollar Tree - About 3 people had mask on.
Target - About 40% wore masks

Again, not really a scientific survey but interesting never the less.

What do others think or have noticed in their areas.

Last edited:
I don't go to stores much, but about 20% of the pedestrians in my neighborhood are unmasked (not carrying a mask), mostly age 20s thru early 30s. A number of homeless folks have been wearing masks.

Last edited:
I don't go to stores much, but most of the unmasked (not carrying a mask) walkers in my neighborhood have been 20s through early 30s.

I think walkers are a little different, we can easily keep 6 ft and more between us and do, we walk regularly and do not wear masks while doing so.

It seems like common sense to our family and friends. It is not an inconvenience, in fact it makes us feel a lot more secure when grocery shopping. I do not know why folks have such an aversion in doing what is best for themselves and others.
What seems like common sense to your family and friends does not seem like common sense to me and my family and friends. I don't think I need to tell you that there is a division of opinions on this subject. If you feel more secure wearing a mask, that's great, you should wear a mask, but there is little evidence to support your feelings. And your conclusion that wearing a mask is "what is best for themselves and others" is a matter of opinion, not scientific fact, although I will concede that wearing a mask may reduce the transmission of a virus to others if the wearer has the virus.

I would note that the CDC has flip flopped recently on wearing masks, and the WHO does not recommend that healthy people wear masks.

Last edited:
The last time I was actually in a store, a good 80% had on masks.
I see about 40% wearing masks while out walking.
I figure I can move more than 6 feet away when out on my walk, so I do not wear one while walking, but do wear one any where else.

Some people just resent being told what to do, there's a lot of that with the mask question - but the mask doubters won't say that directly. Nowadays especially with the internet, you can find a reasonably convincing source to agree with either side of any discussion. It really doesn't have anything to do with facts. All you have to do it choose your "facts" carefully and ignore those that don't support your already held views.

It seems counter intuitive to say that masks don't help (so DW and I always wear them indoors in public, and some situations outdoors), but some people won't give any benefit of any doubt, so they won't be swayed until there's proof - if then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom