Wife off to Normandy on a bike ride

Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
She has been wanting to take a bicycle tour for years so she and a friend are flying into Paris and then to Normandy for an 8 day bicycle tour of the countryside. I'm so glad she finally has the opportunity and a friend to go with. I would love to have gone but have to limit my riding to a recumbent trike due to balance concerns. Unfortunately there are not too many places that rent them.

I'm so excited for her and looking forward to seeing pictures each day. Maybe one day I can find a place that has recumbent trikes to rent and then we can ride together.

Cheers!

In 2011 approx 500 land mines were cleared near Pointe due Hoc. Area of big battle in WW2. Might be good to check with locals where it's safe to ride. Have a great time.

Maybe one day I can find a place that has recumbent trikes to rent and then we can ride together.

Cheers!

Your wife's trip sounds lovely.

Any chance you could "slightly disassemble" your recumbent for shipping or is that not do-able? (I have friends who take bicycling vacations with standard bikes. They remove the pedals, stick the bike in a [free] cardboard box that they got from a bike store, and check it as oversize luggage.)

omni

Your wife's trip sounds lovely.

Any chance you could "slightly disassemble" your recumbent for shipping or is that not do-able? (I have friends who take bicycling vacations with standard bikes. They remove the pedals, stick the bike in a [free] cardboard box that they got from a bike store, and check it as oversize luggage.)

omni
All my bikes have s&s couplers so the pack in a normal suitcase, here is a recumbent trike. http://www.sandsmachine.com/a_gre_t1.htm

In 2011 approx 500 land mines were cleared near Pointe due Hoc. Area of big battle in WW2. Might be good to check with locals where it's safe to ride. Have a great time.

There is nowhere that a bike tour will be going that isn't safe to ride. The unexploded ordnance from WW1 and WW2 is mostly waiting in fields to be harvested along with potatoes. I don't think anyone's been accidentally injured by old bombs and shells for at least ten years, even in the Belgian border region where they still extract something like 50 tons per year. (That figure of ten years excludes this Darwin Award winner, who tried to defuse three WW2 shells in his own house and only got the first two right.)

Was in Normandy this week. Such a beautiful area. I can see why she wants to ride there. I’d like to go back & stay long. I was there for the day and saw Mont St Michel, an amazing place.

Just have her beware of the 1.5 lane roads with many blind turns. Beautiful country with lots to see. Bayeux was not bombed in the wars.

I've biked in Normandy a couple of times, including 5 years ago, just before the heads of state arrived for the 70th anniversary of D-Day. There is no danger from mines to bike, walk, or drive on the roads there. And yes, I even biked to Pointe du Hoc. Traffic was not a big issue, though we attempted to take small roads whenever possible.

It was striking how during the days near the D-Day anniversary, how many towns, businesses, and homes were displaying allied flags. This was only true near the landing beaches and in towns liberated soon thereafter. Elsewhere in Normandy, we saw nothing commemorating D-Day.

On roads big and small, we came upon many monuments commemorating a particular battle or an individual hero. Near Utah Beach, there was a monument honoring the Danish soldiers who had participated in the liberation. Similarly, we saw a monument honoring the Belgian soldiers who helped liberate Normandy. I had no idea about either country's soldiers. In one area near Utah Beach, there are special kilometer markers, each one honoring an individual American soldier who died.

Many shops had window displays featuring items from the 1940s. At the tourist office in Sainte Mere Eglise, the women working there were all dressed in 1940s-style clothing, had 1940s hairstyles, and big band music from that era was being played on the speakers. We saw several WWII reenactment camps (some even had the old Canadian flag of that era), and dozens of old American jeeps being driven around. We saw small parades and heard free concerts with music from that period.

We visited numerous cemeteries, including a German one. Each country's cemeteries were different. Whereas the U.S. buried their dead in 2 large cemeteries, the British generally buried their dead close to where they were killed. The result is that there are many British war cemeteries, some of them very small. There is one Canadian war cemetery that I saw on the map, but we didn't go past it. We did go past the 2 British and 1 Canadian landing beaches, and unlike Omaha and Utah Beaches, they are now fairly crowded seaside holiday beach towns.

The restored church in the 1st photo is in Colleville-sur-Mer, the closest village to Omaha Beach. The photo shows what the church looked like after the fighting. The 2nd photo is in Beuvron-en-Auge, the prettiest village we visited in Normandy. The 3rd photo is a bakery displaying the Allied flags, a very common sight.

Attachments

• IMG_20140602_061430.jpg
    IMG_20140602_061430.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20140531_063658.jpg
    IMG_20140531_063658.jpg
    803 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20140603_045439.jpg
    IMG_20140603_045439.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 24
All my bikes have s&s couplers so the pack in a normal suitcase, here is a recumbent trike. GREENSPEED GTS 20/20 sports touring tricycle
Thank you for the link. I thought about buying a folding recumbent trike but wondered how it could be packed. However,disassembly and reassembly might be a problem for my compromised wrists and shoulders.

I even thought of buying one in the country where I would be riding and then have the store box it up for shipping when I was returning home. However, the cost might be too high to justify.

It would be great if I could find a bicycle tour company that had access to recumbent trikes (tadpole design only) to rent.

Cheers!

We (DW) are on our bikes right now from Venice to Paris. Right now in Marseille. We are looking forward to Normandy and appreciate the comments. We did come across an Eisenhower park where there was a landing during the war around ST Rafael. And today during our walking tour, learned a bit about the impact on Marseille.

Back
Top Bottom