Wimpy Shower Heads/PSA

Just fill the bathroom sink first. Feel if the water is warm.

If water warm, turn on shower and give it time to warm up too. The floor, not the water which is already warm.

I know, it's not about the nail.

We have a long run from our water heater to our shower. I’m thinking about getting a circulator pump. But, as Robbie says, if I want to jump in sooner, I turn on both the shower and the sink. Outside of that, I’ll sometimes turn on the shower and do something else like get my after shower clothes picked out or brush my teeth. No one said you had to stand in the shower until it gets warm.

Yeah Baby!

Not to mention, you let the cold water go down the sink before you turn on the shower. No need to chill the shower before the water gets warm eh?

Certainly a first-world problem but this is one of my top 10 life-aggravations. I take 2, sometimes 3 showers a day.

We loved our 20 year old high-flow showerhead so much that we took it with us when we moved! (we even take it with us on vacation, that's how goofy we are)

I did come across a pretty good one on Amazon that came from China and it works really well but they no longer offer it. It had hundreds of laser cut holes and is great.

...Outside of desert climates (dry climates in the link below), water is the ultimate renewable resource and "saving water" is a totally meaningless concept. Including the Northwest, about 80% of US population lives in "moist" climates that have no reason to "save" water...

Funny story. I was pulling into a dock on the Erie Canal (along the Mohawk River) in NY State. The boater in front of me came over with a story he just had to tell someone.

He'd just received a visit from a guy in another docked boat (A sailboat. You power boaters will understand.) This guy had lambasted my new-found friend because he'd taken a shower! For shame! Wasting all that precious water!

Understand that we were all floating in fresh water, and we could hear the sound of millions of gallons of it pouring over a waterfall just a few hundred yards away.

Years ago, in some of my trade journals I read that certain sanitary sewer systems have had operational problems because there is no longer enough flow to move things along! Yuk!

Yes, it does happen. On place I frequent has had a problem with this ever since they installed new, low-volume toilets. Apparently because of the layout of this facility, the slope on the drain pipes is less than ideal. The staff make it a point to flush multiple times, on the "#2" setting, whenever they're in the bathroom. They want to avoid having to clean out the drains again. Yuk indeed.

Water scarcity is not limited to the desert southwest. High growth areas in the east have been subject to near failures of water supplies. Raleigh, Durham, Atlanta, and others. There are no more acceptable sites for reservoir construction. I won't go on and on but the standard assumption for reservoir safety is 50 years; as in streamflow records (which generally only go back about 100 years) would determine there is a chance of a water supply failing in any given year with a 2% chance. How many engineering disciplines (building bridges, buildings, airplanes) assume it's OK for the project to fail in any given year at 2%? The usual political response to this is "Oh, if it gets bad we can enact restrictions." Bull. As rates have risen and more already conserve water, the demands have become far less elastic. There's not much demand reduction when the big drought hits. Besides..."Ma Grass!!" One other little recognized issue is that as reservoirs draw down, water quality goes south fast, decreasing net production yields. That makes the 50 year yield dubious.

In my experience the best way to choke demand is pricing. Last place I worked enacted four tiers of pricing. First units, sufficient for health, cooking, etc are priced below cost. When you get to last tier, undoubtedly used for irrigation, the price reflects the high cost of having a supply sufficient to meet irregular high demand during periods of water scarcity (drought). Some utilities even can raise rates temporarily to choke demand when it gets scarce.

Water is precious and demands respect. Yes, if you live on the Mississippi it's abundant. As climate changes the areas that are affected will increase. I left the business 10 years ago but it was generally assumed that droughts and floods would increase in severity. Seems so.

Don't forget most water out West is given away to agricultural users for essentially bupkis.

Yet residential rates are through the roof.

I'd collect water off my roof did I live out there, regardless of state law or local ordinance.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...rage-as-california-drought-deepens/ar-AAVLesI

New readings showed the water in California’s mountain snowpack sat at 38% of average. That’s the lowest mark since the end of the last drought in 2015 and only the third time since 1988 that it’s been that low.

So send those flow restrictors you all have removed to California as soon as possible. What next? The schools teaching 5-minute military type shower skills starting in the 3rd grade? Who knows?

Water scarcity is not limited to the desert southwest. High growth areas in the east have been subject to near failures of water supplies. Raleigh, Durham, Atlanta, and others. There are no more acceptable sites for reservoir construction. I won't go on and on but the standard assumption for reservoir safety is 50 years; as in streamflow records (which generally only go back about 100 years) would determine there is a chance of a water supply failing in any given year with a 2% chance. How many engineering disciplines (building bridges, buildings, airplanes) assume it's OK for the project to fail in any given year at 2%?

Comparing running low on water to a bridge collapsing is completely ridiculous.

Comparing running low on water to a bridge collapsing is completely ridiculous.

Low on water? Yeah. Out of water for a city of 300,000 or over a million? No flushing toilets, fire protection, bathing, and only bottled water for drinking. Complete halt to commerce. Spent months contemplating the impacts and dealing with possible emergency solutions. There aren't any in most cases. Believe Capetown SA and Barcelona got real close. It will happen.

Guys...this is a shower head thread...

... if you live on the Mississippi it's abundant. ...
Made me smile. OP here. Our back yard is the Mississippi. :LOL:

I agree with the general points though. Since the first time I visited Phoenix the place has amazed me. All these people relying on water from far away. And Intel building integrated circuit fabs, which are huge users of water. And farming cotton ?!!?!

Huge future political battles when cities that shouldn't even exist try to steal water from the midwest and Great Lakes.

+100 Exactly! Our annual rainfall averages around 63 inches. If I dig a one foot deep hole in my backyard, it will fill with water right away. And yet, I have to shower in cold water because of the flow restrictor that makes it take forever for the hot water to arrive when I'm taking a shower. You GET it! :flowers:

How about a water recirculating pump? Our house was supposed to have two water heaters but the original owner (who built the house) elected to only have one (larger) that is clear on the other side of the house from the main bath. Well, the pump works great and the hot water is nearly instantaneous. Yes, it costs more to "keep heating" the water, but hooking up a electric use meter showed it wasn't nearly as much as I thought it would be. Oh, and our shower can put out A LOT of water. There are 3 valves...one for the rain head, one for the wand, and one for the 3 in wall sprayers...and yes, you can use all of them at once if we like. :D

I'm going to have to go and measure ours at our 'new' place. It provides a good enough flow for me. The pressure here was pretty high the last time I checked ~ 70 PSI. ...

Checked yesterday - 1 gallon in 36 seconds, so ~ 1.67 GPM, and it looks like it says in fine print 1.8 GPM max.

As I said, that seems just fine, I don't feel like I need more. It appears to be a typical big-box shower-head on a hose, nothing fancy. If I didn't like it, I'd change it out.

-ERD50

For me the problem isn't the shower HEAD. I did a gut-and-refurb of my master bath about 5 years ago, with nice new Delta hardware. I could ream out a shower head easily enough, but the Delta VALVES are flow-restricted. I had a plumber in for something else and had him pull the Deltas and see if he could drill 'em out or something. Nope, he couldn't figure out a way to increase the flow.

And my water heater is a looong way away. :facepalm: Shoulda put in an on-demand instant heater, but those weren't very common 30+ yrs ago.

Look this up on Amazon: (Speakman, Polished Brass S-2005-HB-PB Hotel Anystream High Pressure 2.5 GPM Adjustable Shower Head).

The shower head is designed for low water pressure. Still got to know out the flow limiter, but once you do you will have plenty of pressure.

Orifice

I just drilled the Orifice to a larger size and have a max flow shower head. I dislike that I'm restricted to standards (Calif) that I don't need in my world.

For me the problem isn't the shower HEAD. I did a gut-and-refurb of my master bath about 5 years ago, with nice new Delta hardware. I could ream out a shower head easily enough, but the Delta VALVES are flow-restricted. I had a plumber in for something else and had him pull the Deltas and see if he could drill 'em out or something. Nope, he couldn't figure out a way to increase the flow.

And my water heater is a looong way away. :facepalm: Shoulda put in an on-demand instant heater, but those weren't very common 30+ yrs ago.

I used a long flexible drill bit and drilled out the the restrictor. (inserted drill in the end where the shower head attaches.
I warned my wife not to look at the shower head when she turned it on the first time. (its one of the its one of the either on or off deltas where all you can adjust is temperature. ). Your delta shower valve set may be different but its worth a try.

Last edited:
Water scarcity is not limited to the desert southwest. High growth areas in the east have been subject to near failures of water supplies. Raleigh, Durham, Atlanta, and others. There are no more acceptable sites for reservoir construction. I won't go on and on but the standard assumption for reservoir safety is 50 years; as in streamflow records (which generally only go back about 100 years) would determine there is a chance of a water supply failing in any given year with a 2% chance. How many engineering disciplines (building bridges, buildings, airplanes) assume it's OK for the project to fail in any given year at 2%? The usual political response to this is "Oh, if it gets bad we can enact restrictions." Bull. As rates have risen and more already conserve water, the demands have become far less elastic. There's not much demand reduction when the big drought hits. Besides..."Ma Grass!!" One other little recognized issue is that as reservoirs draw down, water quality goes south fast, decreasing net production yields. That makes the 50 year yield dubious.

In my experience the best way to choke demand is pricing. Last place I worked enacted four tiers of pricing. First units, sufficient for health, cooking, etc are priced below cost. When you get to last tier, undoubtedly used for irrigation, the price reflects the high cost of having a supply sufficient to meet irregular high demand during periods of water scarcity (drought). Some utilities even can raise rates temporarily to choke demand when it gets scarce.

Water is precious and demands respect. Yes, if you live on the Mississippi it's abundant. As climate changes the areas that are affected will increase. I left the business 10 years ago but it was generally assumed that droughts and floods would increase in severity. Seems so.

Thanks for your post. Many of the responses troubled me. I think your analysis is correct. And having lived in an African village .where water was scarce on a regular basis, it was frightening. ‘wealthy’ people had the ability to purchase water and the poor collected polluted water. While this was mostly an infrastructure problem where I was living, it could be a picture of our future.

While I do not start my shower in cold water, I try to find ways to respect it’s use as I think we should with all our resources. Anyway, thanks again.

We have been very happy with the Raindance line of shower heads from Hansgrohe. They save water but actually feel like the old heads. No issues getting enough water or pressure to rinse off. We won't buy any other brand at this point.

Last edited:
For many years the restrictors were loose and could just be removed. Later models need drilled out.

I have become accepting of low flush toilets, as I am now a 4 flusher. One to explore if the toilet even works, once to clean up after, once for paper, and once for main event. I never flush less than twice.

It's just a classic elite overreach. Blenders that don't blend, washers that don't wash.... One size does not fit all.

The same "optimization" that gave us daylight savings time. Command control narrowly makes things "better" and we are all left to navigate the obstruction at higher social cost.

We have been very happy with the Raindance line of shower heads from Hansgrohe. They save water but actually feel like the old heads. No issues getting enough water or pressure to rinse off. We won't buy any other brand at this point.

I have the same shower head and like it a lot. In fact, I took out the restrictor and didn’t think it made any difference so I put it back in. Not all infrastructure is the same. We don’t have great water pressure, acceptable, but not great. If I had great water pressure, I’d probably do something different. Thankfully my situation is good enough for a satisfying shower.

Turns out low flow shower heads work OK for us, and I found out why. Our shower valve is 42 years old. It doesn't have a thermal regulator in it either which all post 1990 valves have. It is a Delta, with wide open orifices in the little ball inside. This provides plenty of pressure to the head, so although the flow is reduced, it feels good due to pressure.

So my one valve started leaking and I almost bought a complete rebuild kit from Delta. This provides a new ball. Reading reviews, it turns out the "new and improved conversion ball" also reduces flow. Many reviewers were drilling theirs out.

Instead of buying that $73 item, I just bought the washer and cam kit from Delta ($10) and rebuilt it, keeping the same plastic ball of old. Nice fix! No more leaks, and same pressure through my low flow shower head.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom