Win 7 support ending Upgrades to Win 10

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
With tne impending end to 7 support, any chance Microsoft will offer low cost upgrade ? Cost I am seeing for win 10 is about $100.

One of my desktops is on 7 , duel core 3 mhz , 8 gigs of ram., hate to trash it just for an op. system upgrade.

I have an old never used laptop that received the win 8 to win 10 free upgrade. It is my understanding I cannot transfer that licence to another machine, because it was a free upgrade. Is this correct ?

With the impending end to 7 support, any chance Microsoft will offer low cost upgrade ? Cost I am seeing for win 10 is about $100.

One of my desktops is on 7 , duel core 3 mhz , 8 gigs of ram., hate to trash it just for an op. system upgrade.

I have an old never used laptop that received the win 8 to win 10 free upgrade. It is my understanding I cannot transfer that licence to another machine, because it was a free upgrade. Is this correct ?

Windows 10 was free for a long while. You may be able to transfer the license, but the computer is obsolete. Get a new desktop for $300 and it will be WAY better than the old one.

Whether you can transfer the license I believe depends on how you obtained Windows 8 on your old laptop. If you purchased the Windows 8 software retail then you should be able to transfer the Windows 10 upgrade, if it's OEM software (came preinstalled from manufacturer on the laptop) then probably not, the license is tied to that computer.

I had a similar situation with an old HP desktop PC (With an even older Pentium D processor) which I was going to get rid of but found that installing Linux Mint Xfce basically rejuvenated the PC to where it is totally usable since Linux is much more efficient that windows. Linux mint has similar menus to windows and is free ( as are most other Linux versions). Browsers such as Google or Firefox work just fine and it includes a suite of programs called LibreOffice which functions just like Microsoft Office among many other programs offerings ( all free)

I prefer Win 7 to Win 10 and I'm just going to blithely keep my old Windows system running after MS ends support. MS Security upgrades don't matter to me all that much anyway as I do all the important stuff on the Linux box.

OP - download and burn to a CD/DVD Ubuntu for the desktop, then you can try it out without actually installing it until you are happy.

It's free, a mature linux https://ubuntu.com/

I recommend the version:Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (LTS stands for Long Term Support 5 yrs).

I just went through this. As I was finishing up my 2018 business taxes, Turbotax displayed a message that as a result of Windows 7 end of support they would no longer support the OS beginning with the 2020 tax year (meaning Turbotax 2019 would be ok, but not Turbotax 2020). I wasn't sure if that meant Turbotax would not run on it, or they simply would not take any responsibility if it didn't. I have one machine dedicated for my business accounting stuff and it is Win 7.

In any case, I decided to make a move now rather than waiting until later. I was able to find many offers for Win 10 on Ebay for $20-$25. In the end, not wanting to have it on my mind that they were likely illegal versions, that upgrading the existing machine could fail or may not support it for some reason and decided to just buy a refurb (as I've done plenty of times in the past).

I received the replacement machine last week from a reputable seller on Ebay - $84 total (included $9 shipping + $5 sales tax) - included clean/fresh Win 10 Pro install:

Lenovo ThinkCentre M91p (I have 3 other similar M-series machines for the business)
i5-2400 3.10GHz
4GB Ram
320GB HD
Win 10 Pro

When I have some free time, I'll pull one of the memory chips out of the old machine and put in the new one to bring it to 8GB, and I have a SSD laying around that I'll replace the HD with.

Search through the refurb listings on Ebay and at newegg.com - plenty very good machines available right around/under $100. My old machine was i3 and even though this i5-2400 is older generation, it's significantly faster, and would similarly be for yours.

Last edited:
I prefer Win 7 to Win 10 and I'm just going to blithely keep my old Windows system running after MS ends support. MS Security upgrades don't matter to me all that much anyway as I do all the important stuff on the Linux box.

Try classic shell on Windows 10. It makes it look just like Windows 7 (which I agree, has a better interface).

Keep an eye on ReactOS. It is an effort to create a Windows clone from scratch. It is in alpha, but looks promising, and may (I have not tried it yet) be good enough to use already.

Try classic shell on Windows 10. It makes it look just like Windows 7 (which I agree, has a better interface).

When moving to Win 10, I used classic shell in the past which worked very well. However, I don't think classic shell is still actively supported.

So, I ended up forking over about $5 (actually was a bit less as there was a discount :)) to purchase a program called Start10 from a company called Stardock which has the option to give start button navigation a Win7 style. The best $5 I ever spent.

Last edited:
I use Win10 like the classic version 100% of the time. All by itself. On all my computers. On the latest version, since Win10 came out.

I did the W10 when it was a free update a few years back. I did have some issues and was a change but now I'm comfortable with it and all is good till the next obsolete system occurs.

I have a few windows 7 machines that I updated for free to windows 10.

They had a win7 pro license on the box.
I downloaded the window 10 ISO maker from microsoft.
Installed win10 pro on the box, used the win 7 key to activate the machine.

If you're old machine is slower than an i5... I wouldn't bother though!

Some forums say a Win 7 or 8 key will work on Win 10 to activate it.

Even if you never activate it still works, but with a non genuine sign on your Desktop.

Got to love this forum. As usual, the OP asked a specific question--"can I upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10 at low cost?" The group answers with wildly different answers. Install Linux! No, install Ubuntu! Use classic shell! Wait for ReactOS! Typical.

Yes, you can still get a free copy of Windows 10 by using your Windows 7 license key.

https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/yo...ws-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key/

The link that wmc1000 posted is a good one and was one that I used.

I just went through this process at the end of August on a Win 7 machine of mine.

As others have said, you might be better off getting a new Win10 machine. If you could post more information about your Win 7 machine I could give you my opinion. To do this:

Click
Start, then Control Panel, then System and Security, then System.

Post the details of your system in this thread. Of particular interest would be the make and model number of your motherboard, if you can find it.

Last edited:
One of my desktops is on 7 , duel core 3 mhz , 8 gigs of ram., hate to trash it just for an op. system upgrade
If I were you, I'd try the free WIN10 upgrade described by others and see how that functions in your desktop. Presumably you've already installed an SSD for for your OS and programs. 8 GB with the albeit meager CPU will probably suffice for doing most things with WIN10. I have an ancient laptop with only 2 GB of RAM and it can do basics OK under WIN10. Note that you probably can only upgrade the CPU by also upgrading the motherboard and unfortunately probably the RAM as well. But see how the old system works on WIN10 for your needs and then decide on whether or not you need a hardware upgrade. BTW, too much of a hardware upgrade could trigger a failure in getting the existing WIN10 authorized by MS. Good luck!

I made the decision years ago when WIN10 first came out to forgo the free 7 to 10 upgrade and instead make my desktop dual boot by buying a copy of WIN10. As a result, I have been gradually migrating programs to WIN10 but still using 7 most of the time. That will change in January when I migrate to 10 for everyday work but retain the 7 OS for a few programs I either can't or don't wish to migrate. At that point, I will just make sure that when booted in WIN7, I have internet access disabled for protection.

Got to love this forum. As usual, the OP asked a specific question--"can I upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10 at low cost?" The group answers with wildly different answers. Install Linux! No, install Ubuntu! Use classic shell! Wait for ReactOS! Typical.

Yes, you can still get a free copy of Windows 10 by using your Windows 7 license key.

https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/yo...ws-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key/

The link that wmc1000 posted is a good one and was one that I used.

I just went through this process at the end of August on a Win 7 machine of mine.

As others have said, you might be better off getting a new Win10 machine. If you could post more information about your Win 7 machine I could give you my opinion. To do this:

Click
Start, then Control Panel, then System and Security, then System.

Post the details of your system in this thread. Of particular interest would be the make and model number of your motherboard, if you can find it.
Noted - you are absolutely and totally correct in pointing out the error of our ways in suggesting any alternatives for consideration.

But as the old saying goes, "you don't know what you don't know" Maybe the OP installs Win 10 and finds his old PC doesn't quite work right so he throws it away not being aware that other operating systems may work very well indeed on his old computer at zero cost :D

Noted - you are absolutely and totally correct in pointing out [-]the error of [/-]our Thinking Outside The Box ways in suggesting [-]any[/-] alternatives for consideration.

But as the old saying goes, "you don't know what you don't know" Maybe the OP installs Win 10 and finds his old PC doesn't quite work right so he throws it away not being aware that other operating systems may work very well indeed on his old computer at zero cost :D

Fixed... :flowers:

I just went through this. As I was finishing up my 2018 business taxes, Turbotax displayed a message that as a result of Windows 7 end of support they would no longer support the OS beginning with the 2020 tax year (meaning Turbotax 2019 would be ok, but not Turbotax 2020). I wasn't sure if that meant Turbotax would not run on it, or they simply would not take any responsibility if it didn't. I have one machine dedicated for my business accounting stuff and it is Win 7.
I have some reservations about Win 10, some of them probably unwarranted. Personal information protection. Microsoft bricking Win 10 machines during the upgrade process. Whatever the case, your comments about TurboTax hit home. I've used the PC version of TurboTax (CDROM or download) since 2000, and I plan to use it in 2020.

My PC probably could take the upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7, but I think I probably will upgrade the hardware. I can keep my Win 7 PCs offline to use the existing software, including an older Office 2010 suite, until I test the software out on Win 10 (or find replacements). Since we no longer work, there is less need to keep upgrading home software to align with work software.

Last edited:
I picked up a $30 PC similar to the OPs, duo core 8400, 4GB RAM, 160 GB HD. It runs Win 10 fine, but a bit slow. I put a $20 SSD in and Manjaro Linux, and it runs great, not slow at all. Throw a cheap SSD in and Win 10 should run very well.

I have some reservations about Win 10, some of them probably unwarranted. Personal information protection. Microsoft bricking Win 10 machines during the upgrade process. Whatever the case, your comments about TurboTax hit home. I've used the PC version of TurboTax (CDROM or download) since 2000, and I plan to use it in 2020.

I have been using a free downloaded version of TurboTax through Fidelity Investments. They have been offering an online and a downloaded version for a while but I just found out from them that they plan to phase out the downloaded one and only offer an online version going forward. So I have been debating what to do with my windows 7 laptop. The only thing I have been using it for the last couple of years is to compute my annual taxes. Everything else I use a Chromebook. Of course I could buy TT and continue to use Windows, but I really have no desire to convert to Windows 10 so I think I'm going to give the online version a shot and see how it goes.

I have a sister desktop machine on the boat, running on 10 with the same 3 meg dual core
cpu and its very fast. The old laptop with 10 will be a standby, or for travel

Looks like I will bite the bullet and by the 10 software for the win 7 desktop, and keep 7 on dual boot for the older programs.

The last time I actually bought windows not pre installed was win 95 .

Last edited:
12 days and counting til the end of Win 7 support:popcorn:.

Back
Top Bottom