Windows 10 Lost and doesn't see my Printers

Time2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I had some update and since then both my printers are not listed and searching doesn't find them. I don't have a restore point far enough back to remove the update. I have removed the USB and reconnected, I have shut of and repowered, no hint that I have printers.

I'm lost as to what to do.
Any Ideas?
Thanks

Usually, if you download the driver from the manufacturer website, it will find and install the printer (so if it's a canon goto canon's website and download and install the latest driver for the printer on your pc)

+ 1 to find and download the printer driver from the manufacturers website.

It seems that the Windows database of printers has been reduced.

I'm sure it is a herculean effort to keep up with the various printers and models for drivers.

The HP site no longer has my drivers, I tried downloads from three other sites, They were all BS, saying they had my driver, but had nothing to help.
My antivirus screamed on one.
I think it has just aged out. Why a Windows update would remove working printer drivers I don't know. Both of my HP printers.

Attachments

• HP not.jpg
    HP not.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 18
Have you tried the HP universal print driver?

Our computers lost our printer as well. The first thing we did was to go into our router, actually, and change the wireless protocol - Xfinity had updated it and we needed to "downgrade" it so the printer could talk to the router.

Second, we went through the printer setup process on our computers and chose the "my printer isn't listed" option and entered the printer's IP address manually.

Third, and this is the really annoying part, we seem to lose sight of the printer when it goes to sleep, so we shut it down and restart it before each print job.

Are we working on getting a new printer? You bet your sweet bippy. We have a multi-function color laser printer in its own cabinet under our desk, and while there used to be numerous machines that could fit there, I think things have changed in the market and we'll need to move anything new outside the cabinet or get a smaller inkjet.

One of our professional IT friends said, "Once Win10 has lost your printer, good luck getting it back." It's apparently notorious for being nigh-impossible to fix permanently. Awkward bandaids are about all you've got unless you buy a new printer.

My printer is wired.
I have tried the universal printer drivers 3 times, in the end nothing is found.
I tried freeprintersupport, it's the same file as above and also didn't work.
Very frustrating.

You may need to try a Windows 7 driver and hope it works, even if the printer isn't exact.

I still have a copy of Windows 7 on my hard drive. I booted up on the Window 7 and it has my drivers and it does print.

Is there a way to get the drivers from 7 to 10?

Last edited:
This talks about the driver I used for years after the 1012 drivers were no longer supported.

Starting several paragraphs down with.

"Fortunately, the LaserJet 3055 printer driver for Windows 7 appears to be able to allow the LaserJet 1012 printer to run under Windows 7."
Searching for that get the link below.

https://www.helpjet.net/getfile/HP-LaserJet-3055/93842347.html

This looked good, but the link said 404, Not found.
It would just seem so easy.

So, back to I have working drivers in my Windows 7, can I access that through Windows 10 or only when I boot up in Windows 7?

I also recall needing to remove both the printer and the printer software (2 separate steps) before trying to reinstall

Are you sure it was only you printer that got wiped off? A recent Windows 10 update has been wiping out user profile (application settings, email account profiles, and other data) on many PCs. Microsoft has advised users in such cases to uninstall those updates. If this is not the case for you, you can install Windows 7 drivers on Windows 10. You will have to override the driver signature requirement using the advanced boot option.

https://www.howtogeek.com/167723/ho...8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

If you're looking for that driver (64-bit), try the Zip file that has both the 32-bit and 64-bit drivers. This link appears to work:

https://www.helpjet.net/getfile/HP-LaserJet-3055/23400738.html

Thanks, but it didn't work, after installing it told me, it won't work.

I give up. Now I just need to figure out what printer I want to buy.
I don't need color, but I would like a scanner/printer. I don't know if they build a laserjet/scanner printer, but that's what I want.

Probably no help to you but I don't trust Windows system backup and restore. Much prefer to do my system back up and restoring with 3rd party software like Macrium Reflect.

Time 2. Hold on. Don't give up yet. Had exact same problem last week. With H/P
laser printer. And windows 10.

Could not find printer. Even had error messages. Adm locked, etc.....

1. My newer, color, copier, etc, h/p laser printer, hooked up wirelessly, no problem.
2. My older, h/p P1102w, would not connect. (worked fine, prior to my "reset" of laptop).

3. Tried, everything you did. h/p site, download. CD that came with unit. etc

4. Here is what worked, for me.

You have to do the "HP smart install" first. Before downloading latest driver.

Kind of of confusing. This threw me. Looking at "original" printer directions.

The HP smart install, is "separate" process.

Downloading the printer driver from the h/p site, is a 2nd process.

I logged on as "Administrator", but I don't think this is necessary.

I hooked up my h/p printer, black and white, p1102w, using usb cable.
Simpler than trying to use the wireless feature.

Anyways, don't give up. Took me a few hours, playing around, before I hooked up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom