Wine Question

When I find a close out sale at Binny's, I'll buy boxes once I know it's good.
I keep it in the basement in the boxes on their sides.

I've had friends totally amazed at the quality and taste of the wine when I bring it to a party, they remark how great it is. These friends drink a lot, so they have lots of experience for comparison.
They are shocked when I tell them I bought it for $3 :dance:

Thats a great price for good wine. I pay $10.99 for a 1.5 liter of my favorite wine when its on sale. Ruffino Chianti. I spring for the Chianti gold and reserve for holidays.

I find Riesling (german) often to be sweet.

One way to tell for nearly any wine is look for alcohol content no higher than 11% , as the yeast turns sugar into alcohol, so a lower alcohol content means the yeast were stopped before finishing the job, leaving sweetness in the wine.

Myself I like dry wine, so I rarely buy wine with less than 12% alcohol content.

Rieslings, like all white wines, can be made in 4 styles; dry, off-dry, semi-sweet, or sweet, and can be made everywhere including Germany. Most dry Rieslings from Germany don't make it out of the country, as a majority of Americans prefer sweeter wines.

Most whites made under 12% alcohol, their delicate flavors cannot hold up to the flavor of alcohol, although it can contribute some fruity/sweetness.

I suggest Riesling, too, as well as Gewurztraminer, Pinot Grigio, Muscat Canelli, to name a few. Some sweet wines made in the East are Niagara, Catawba, and Delaware.

The key is to read the label; and avoid wines that say dry or off-dry. Some even have a scale on the reverse label showing the sweetness.

If you want to try something special, and perhaps pay a special price, try a Semillion that has been botrytized. Semillion (say-me-on) is a very thin skinned grape that may get infected with botrytis mold "noble rot". The mold robs the grapes of moisture and concentrates the sugars, making a very pleasant wine.
If you live near California, Navarro Vineyards makes a great white blend called Edelzwicker.

Enjoy!

Our house red is Finca Malbec in Mexico and Frontera Cab in BC. Like Meadbh says, the good local wines never make it to stores.

Our house red is Finca Malbec in Mexico and Frontera Cab in BC. Like Meadbh says, the good local wines never make it to stores.

Which reminds me that today I can pick up my Fall selection from Quail's Gate! The Old Vines Foch Reserve is my favourite, with Chenin Blanc a close second.

QG Chenin Blanc '16
Stewart Family Reserve Pinot Noir '15
AS Pinot Gris The Bench '16
QG Viognier Shannon Pacific '16
QG Merlot '15
Old Vines Foch Reserve '15

Last edited:
Well, the Reislings worked very well for my non wine drinking friends who don't want to look to out of place at the local wine events. They go for the social aspect (food, music, hunky guys and hot gals) and just want a glass they can sip on all evening.

Speaking of wine, can anybody recommend a white whine that is somewhat sweeter than normal? Not a dessert wine that is very sweet.

I've recently become a big fan of Albariño wines from the Rias Baixas region of Spain. They're slightly sweeter than your typical pinot grigio, with really nice, subtle flavors of stone fruits and citrus and a lively floral scent. Highly recommended if you're looking for an interesting, different, mouthwatering white.

Which reminds me that today I can pick up my Fall selection from Quail's Gate! The Old Vines Foch Reserve is my favourite, with Chenin Blanc a close second.

QG Chenin Blanc '16
Stewart Family Reserve Pinot Noir '15
AS Pinot Gris The Bench '16
QG Viognier Shannon Pacific '16
QG Merlot '15
Old Vines Foch Reserve '15

I have to admit that you have some nice favorites there, but the wine snob in me has me spoiled. Chenin Blanc is the only French hybrid grape I can enjoy at great length, but the Marechal Foch grape is one I cannot. It is a red wine grape that is usually grown in areas where there is a short growing season, and ripens earlier than most reds. But my experience, is that it is still picked too soon before it is fully ripened and tends to be acidic/tart for this old man's taste buds. Out of curiosity, Meadbh, if you would please, ask what Brix the grapes were picked ? And pH? They should be available in the tasting notes at the winery. You may have found the pearl of Marechal Foch! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have to admit that you have some nice favorites there, but the wine snob in me has me spoiled. Chenin Blanc is the only French hybrid grape I can enjoy at great length, but the Marechal Foch grape is one I cannot. It is a red wine grape that is usually grown in areas where there is a short growing season, and ripens earlier than most reds. But my experience, is that it is still picked too soon before it is fully ripened and tends to be acidic/tart for this old man's taste buds. Out of curiosity, Meadbh, if you would please, ask what Brix the grapes were picked ? And pH? They should be available in the tasting notes at the winery. You may have found the pearl of Marechal Foch! Enjoy!

This is the first time I have heard of Brix (I'm not a wine snob). Does this page help you at all? Note that the Foch I will be picking up is a Reserve, which is not mentioned here. I will ask.

https://www.quailsgate.com/wp-conte...Winery_Product-Pages_QG_Old-Vines-Foch_v1.pdf

Brix is a measure of sugar content of the grapes/juice before being made into wine.

Winemaker, wouldn't the alc % give you a good indication of the starting Brix for a dry wine? I see those on the list that was linked go from ~ 13.6 to 15, and all appear to be from the same vines. So I'd assume the difference in alc % was due to varying Brix from the growing season and harvest time?

-ERD50

I live in Phoenix and do some traveling in the summer months. I recently came upon a very good wine sale and bought quite a few bottles. When we leave in June, I turn the house A/C up to 86 degrees. We don't have a wine fridge. Can I put all of the wine in the regular fridge until we return and then take it back out and allow it to come up to regular room temperature? Will doing that hurt the taste of either the whites or the reds? Last year we were gone about 3 weeks and some of our wine got a little yucky - I assume from the temps in the house.

86 might be OK for wines. I don't think I'd put mine in the fridge. Just store them in the coolest part of the house.

I have a wine cellar and store my wines around 57 degrees which is good for long term storage of reds.

I have some wines not in the cellar. I don't let my house get above 80 when gone.

Costco has been carrying a lot of great wines lately. I occasionally see posts from the Costco Wine Blog.

Last edited:
Speaking of wine, can anybody recommend a white whine that is somewhat sweeter than normal? Not a dessert wine that is very sweet.

You could try a Gruner Veltliner from the Wachau region of Austria, especially with "Smaragd" on the label. A good one will have a somewhat fruity/floral nose, with just a hint of sweetness, but nothing like a dessert wine. A homegrown choice could be a Traminette from the Missouri Rhineland area.

Out of curiosity, Meadbh, if you would please, ask what Brix the grapes were picked ? And pH? They should be available in the tasting notes at the winery. You may have found the pearl of Marechal Foch! Enjoy!

Brix 26 when picked
Acidity 7.6 g/L
pH not available

What does that mean to you?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your homework ! You get an A+!

The brix number gives the sugar content of the grapes, a higher brix number will generally indicate a more ripe fruit. Also, a lower acidity level 0.7 g/l or less will indicate ripeness. A 26 brix indicates a ripe fruit, giving more flavor of the varietal. An acidity over 8 g/l will require a winemaker to make some adjustments.

Think of homeade lemonade. Acidic lemon juice and water are mixed together to provide a flavorful chilled beverage. One has to add sugar to the blend to adjust it to ones own palate. Some like it tart, some like it sweet. Sugar and acid levels are adjusted to "balance" the beverage, be it lemonade, coffee, Coke or wine. All beverages tend to be acidic, it gives the sensation of quenching thirst.

If you notice in your published tasting notes, which I commend Quail Acres for doing a excellent job, the sugar content ranges from 0.6 to 4.0 g/l in order to "balance" the wine. The acid levels are somewhat in the same range, but indicate a very ripeness.

I asked for pH, assuming the vineyard did not have such exacting notes, but gladfully proving me wrong.

You may have found the pearl of Marechal Foch. On the east coast, Brix numbers for Marechal Foch rarely make 22 Brix, leaving a yearning for the actual flavor of the varietal, and a big fat pucker for the acidity!

ERD50, you are right about seasons and times of harvest. The brix number at harvest, represents the amount of sugar in the grape at the time it is measured. I was in the Napa area last week, and the heat wave the week before Labor Day significantly ripened the grapes ahead of schedule. I saw brix levels of 32 to 24 which are going to cause a lot of wine makers to pull out their hair. Most winemakers don't want to see levels above 24.5, because they don't want to water their wines back. Most wine yeasts die above those levels due to alcohol poisoning, leaving a sweet wine. That is exactly how White Zinfandel was created. Zinfandel is notoriously a fickle grape, the same cluster will have green, ripe, overripe and raisins together. In order to create a more robust wine, Sutter Vineyards removed some juice to leave the remainder soak on the skins longer. The "removed juice" ended up getting stuck, and couldn't ferment to complete dryness, resulting in a sweet, high alcohol wine that beginning wine drinkers loved. It made million$.

Since the grapes were picked at 26, I would figure that the fermentation ran its course to 24.5-25, leaving the residual sugar at 0.6-4.0g/l. Even though it may be a "dry" wine, residual sugar may be present. Apothic Red, a best selling "dry" wine, has almost 13.5 g/l of residual sugar.

Commercial winemakers cannot add sugar to a wine to sweeten, they either have to stop fermentation early or add unfermented juice back into the blend to get the right sweetness/acid balance. Also, a high alcohol wine, will also add some sweetness to the wine in most cases.

I hope I have explained clearly enough. As I said earlier, enjoy it if you like it! It would be a dull world if everyone liked the same things.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed explanation, Winemaker. As I said, I don't know much about the technical aspects of winemaking. I have been to a couple of seminars but I find it a confusing subject. I can attest to the fact that 2015 was a long and very hot summer when fruits of all types ripened early. I have not yet sampled the 2015 Reserve Foch but I usually enjoy it each year. Of course your taste may vary. Quail's Gate has won many awards for its wines and this year was named one of Canada's best managed companies. Attention to detail is a given. A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of hosting Alan and his DW for a wine tasting and dinner there. If you ever plan to visit the Okanagan Valley, let me know and I can do something similar.

Meadbh, thanks for your invitation.

I call myself (and so might others) a wine snob but actually I am just wine educated. Wine, like any other food, beverage, clothing, fashion, art, lifestyle, and SWR are entirely personal. A little bit of a quality product and a lot of hype/marketing goes a long way, as well as perception and expectations.

As an aside, if you didn't know Alan and his DW, would you buy a wine from "Alan and DW's" winery? Would your perception change if it wasn't a "Reserve"?

Again, enjoy life's simple pleasures in wine.

Came very close to buying a winery in Oregon. Realized I had the sales piece but not the knowledge I needed in winemaking and growing. Took courses in both winemaking and viticulture. Came to my senses that I would have to work at my job until 65 plus run a winery in my spare time. So now I specialize in just drinking and retired at 60. Still have the bug but it allows me to both understand the process and speak intelligently to winemakers about processes.

Pinot Noir is at the top of the list being in Oregon but have grown to appreciate Italian wines especially in the Piedmont region. Nebbiolo grape is just outstanding to me and have visited both Barbaresco and Barolo regions.

However in appreciate Malbecs from Argentina, Cabs from Chile, Tempranillo from Spain, etc. I have a lack of knowledge of France and some day would like to imbed in their wine regions to learn more.

I love the Argentinian Malbecs, they are just so rich, because of their warm growing climate. They are actually the original or grafts of the original Malbecs (known as Cot) from Europe. The originals in Europe and the US were decimated by the phylloxera louse in the 17th, 18th, 19th centuries.
I can only buy Chilean grapes in April/May and they have spent a month on a boat. Put that with their cold growing climate, and I cannot make a great product. The Chileans can, and are trying to get a piece of Argentina's pie.
I can obtain quality California grapes 48 hours after they have been picked here in Grapetown, and can make a product that will rival some of the finest. I also have access to Italian grapes and juice, as well as South African in the spring. I just bottled an Italian Valipolicella, and have a Italian Montepulciano that I will age for about 3 years.
The winery where I help out, the owner has a full time job. His wife quit her job to work the tasting room full time, and her daughter works there full time also. I love the idea of owning a winery, but I don't want to buy a job. It is work, but the most important fact about being a professional winemaker at a operating winery, is you have to make wine that OTHER PEOPLE like and want to buy, and not wine that you like to drink. You were wise to pass on the opportunity but that does not stop you from making wine at home for yourself.

FYI:
https://www.facebook.com/quailsgate/posts/10155675124225871

Thanks for info; I always like reading up on different wines, their makers and their trials and errors. I found the following article.

John Schreiner on wine: Quails' Gate 2015 reds do justice to the vintage

From what I can surmise, Quailsgate has remarkable success with vinifera grapes in their location. Vitis vinifera grapes are the traditional, for the lack of a better word, grapes used in winemaking. They require a longer growing season to fully ripen to peak flavor. Quailsgate, also planted Marechal Foch, a French Hybrid, that has a much shorter growing season to ripen. Seeing that they have great success with the vinifera grapes, they are able to pick their Marechal Foch later than most, creating a richer wine. I am happy that someone has some great success with that grape, and that you have found a great friend in a glass.

Back in the eastern US, Marechal is still grown, picked way too early, and makes one of the tartest red wines I have ever tasted. I will have to track your Quails gate down.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom