Would you go to Hawaii right now?

anothercog

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm supposed to go to Ohau with my son later this week. We had planned to just stay in Waikiki and hike Diamond Head. I know it's a whole other island, but given they are still finding bodies and will likely continue to do so in the coming weeks on Maui, it seems disrespectful to vacation there right now.

I'm feeling conflicted. Should I cancel?

I have read that they are discouraging vacationers on Maui, but other Islands in Hawaii should be OK.
I understand the conflict. You want to be respectful of resources, but they also depend on tourism for economy.
We were planning a trip to Maui next August, and are unsure. now, even though it is a year away.
Such a tragedy. But I am reading of some wonderful resilience amongst the news stories.

Perhaps some of our forum members who've on the Islands will chime in their thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm supposed to go to Ohau with my son later this week. We had planned to just stay in Waikiki and hike Diamond Head. I know it's a whole other island, but given they are still finding bodies and will likely continue to do so in the coming weeks on Maui, it seems disrespectful to vacation there right now.

I'm feeling conflicted. Should I cancel?

If you can, I would. Even on a different island, I would imagine the tone and feel of the whole area is rather somber, of course.

We were originally scheduled to go to Japan in the weeks following the 2011 Tsunami, and while our area was safe, it didn't seem right to show up and be all "hey we're here to have a great time!" in light of things.

I wouldn't go to Maui right now because you would be in the way, but I would think the other islands would be okay. As has been mentioned, they really rely on tourist money.

IIRC I heard on last night's news that they were asking tourists to stay away from Maui, however, were encouraging tourism on the other islands. So yes, I would go to any of the other islands.

I don't see why you wouldn't go. They need your tourist dollars to help rebuild. If they REALLY don't want you there they'll offer you a full refund.

IIRC I heard on last night's news that they were asking tourists to stay away from Maui, however, were encouraging tourism on the other islands. So yes, I would go to any of the other islands.

That's what I've heard too. Unless something new happens, I'd say go since the economy depends so much on tourism. Plus while you are there you may talk to people and hear about a small local charity doing some important work, and you could make a donation to them as part of your travel budget if you are able and want to support their work.

That's what I've heard too. Unless something new happens, I'd say go since the economy depends so much on tourism. Plus while you are there you may talk to people and hear about a small local charity doing some important work, and you could make a donation to them as part of your travel budget if you are able and want to support their work.

If you look on the State of Hawaii website, they have some information regarding charities.

https://dod.hawaii.gov/hiema/august-2023-wildfires/

I don't see why you wouldn't go. They need your tourist dollars to help rebuild. If they REALLY don't want you there they'll offer you a full refund.

I don't really have anything non-refundable. I just need to cancel the hotel by Wed to avoid a one-night charge. I'll just have Southwest credits I can use another time.

We actually just came back from Maui a little over a week ago. We fortunately missed the fires by two days. I can't believe Lahaina is gone. The death toll is incredible. Such a horrible tragedy.

The upcoming trip was just a father-son bonus trip with a SW companion pass since my son has several more weeks before he starts college and his job just ended so he has nothing to do.

I don't see any reason to cancel. Except for Maui, nobody is recommending that. Why would a whole state shut its doors in mourning? That isn't done.

I would go. Not really sure why you would consider not going.

I would look at it this way. Connecticut is smaller than Hawaii. Suppose Hartford burned down. We would be sad and stunned, but I would still like you to come and spend money in my town, which is 50 miles away.

The father son trip is not easily replaced. The other islands could use the money and the state can use any tax dollars you leave behind. In your shoes, I would go.

A personal decision. But I would cancel. Just wouldn't feel right for me knowing there is total devastation at another island as I sit back an take in the beautiful view at my vacation spot.

A personal decision. But I would cancel. Just wouldn't feel right for me knowing there is total devastation at another island as I sit back an take in the beautiful view at my vacation spot.

I agree except there are plenty of people depending on those tourist dollars in areas that would not be in the way of recovery operations.

I know if I had a business that was highly dependent on tourism I would appreciate the uninterrupted income, especially so I could continue to pay my employees.

I agree except there are plenty of people depending on those tourist dollars in areas that would not be in the way of recovery operations.

I know if I had a business that was highly dependent on tourism I would appreciate the uninterrupted income, especially so I could continue to pay my employees.

As I mentioned. A personal decision.

For me, I don't think I'd enjoy the vacation at this time.

Yes go and enjoy your Oahu vacation. Make some donations while your there.

I've heard that sentiment, and I get it.

First and foremost, I wouldn't go to a disaster area and just get in the way. I also don't think I could go to the next town over and just relax without trying to help somehow. But we're not talking about doing those things.

I see no value in sitting home moping about the plight of the affected residents. They're in our thoughts and prayers, and maybe we donate something. But otherwise we go on about our lives. Why wouldn't we?

To me, if you were to cancel the trip and send the money to a victim's relief fund instead, that would justify cancellation.

Oahu is the Island least influenced by Hawaiian culture - likely because it is so committed to tourism and military. With that in mind, I would have no hesitation to visit Oahu as a tourist. Even Maui has become a major tourist destination, but I think it wise to avoid for a while longer. Hopefully, they will quickly conclude recovery operations. I think that will be the most important step in restoring tourism on Maui.

Thanks for all the responses. We decided we are going.

I rationalized that it would be like avoiding Manhattan because downtown Albany burned down. Doesn't make much sense and as many have said, Hawaii's economy depends on tourism so staying away from non-impacted areas would hurt more than help.

I understand the sentiments about not wanting to go. We had a trip planned to Puerto Vallarta in 1995 when the earthquake struck that morning. We called and our travel agent insisted it would be OK.
That was a surreal trip. The hotel next to us was severely damaged and we could see holes through the stucco into the rooms, but our hotel was unscathed.
One hotel in the marina district was torn down while we were there. We heard stories of heroism, staff members helping the guests across a widening gap between the building and the failing staircase.
After we got there it felt like it was the right thing to do. We contributed above our regular tourist dollars to the community at large.

I think they're encouraging people to come, at least to the Wailea and Kihei area but not Kaanapali area.

I've only been to Hawaii once, a long time ago. Forget how much the hotels and cars were but the rates are just crazy now.

Well since at least the pandemic.

I just quickly searched hotels in October. Even the most basic place was going to be over $300 a night after taxes and fees. These look like condos or converted hotel rooms which are several decades old, probably not renovated this century.

Would going there help people who've lost their homes? Maybe some if they work in hotels and restaurants outside of the affected areas.

But it seems like all the money would go mostly to hotel or vacation apartment owners or restaurant owners, a small percentage may trickle down to the workers.

That's from spending over $2000 for maybe 3-4 nights, cars and hotels?

There are photos of all these rental cars parked out on the fields by the Maui airport, so they've suffered a large number of cancellations.

But I just haven't been able to to justify visiting in recent years because of the high prices.

Supposedly the hotels decided that they'd raise the prices higher and have lower occupancy but still expect to make more money because of the higher rates.

Then that cascades as vacation apartments can raise their prices as well, since they're still cheaper than 4 and 5-star hotels and resorts.

Better way to help the people who lost their homes is to look for charities providing relief efforts, like the Red Cross.

I would go since it’s a special trip and a different island. If people stop going to the other islands locally people will suffer without tourism.

Thanks for all the responses. We decided we are going.

I rationalized that it would be like avoiding Manhattan because downtown Albany burned down. Doesn't make much sense and as many have said, Hawaii's economy depends on tourism so staying away from non-impacted areas would hurt more than help.

FWIW - I agree with your decision. I'll add a datapoint from personal experience.

Hurricane Irma hit the lower Florida Keys in early September, 2017, IIRC, as a Cat 3. As you can imagine, widespread damage. For some period of time, only residents were allowed in.

We had a condo booked on Stock Island (last island before Key West) for a month starting in mid October, I forget exactly when. Booked it directly with the owner through VRBO. There was no significant damage to their complex, occupancy was no problem, but the owner was willing to refund the cost if I chose not to go. We debated, but in the end decided to go.

Turns out our start date was about 1-2 weeks after they started letting non residents in, so we were among the first tourists to return. Drove through some heavily damaged areas, and there were debris collection sites along the side of the highway. Constant stream of semis being filled up with a large loader, probably took a few minutes each, as soon as one was done they'd go to the next. It was tough to see the destruction. As a teenager I also volunteered for a few days with the Red Cross following a significant tornado outbreak in my region, which required accessing restricted areas, so it was not the first time I witnessed the aftermath of powerful storms.

Plenty of restaurants were not open yet, or opened during our stay. We ate in the condo a fair amount, but when we did venture out things weren't very busy. Every single person we came into contact with at stores and restaurants was glad we were there. We told them we had debated making the trip, and they would discuss what they went through, there was a wide range from minimal issues to homelessness. One waitress said her rental house was OK, but many friends were displaced, they had something like 12-15 people sharing one bathroom and the kitchen, some camping in the back yard and others crashing on the living room floor. Just helping each other out. I would typically tip around 50% and up, considering it my contribution to their recovery, and got more than one hug from a grateful server.

As has been pointed out, these were tough times for the residents/workers, but they needed the income more than ever.

As for our vacation, it turned out to be great. The complex we stayed in had two other guests while we were there, one was a couple for a week and the other a nonresident owner who came south for a weekend to check on his place. Had the pool to ourselves most of the time. The main disappointment was that I had planned to do some snorkeling, but the water visibility was very low from things getting churned up by the storm.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Back
Top Bottom