Wow, it’s getting really scary in Texas - and everywhere else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S0 0ar in GA, the percent of COVID deaths that have occured in nursing homes hs been held to below 50%. Unlike states in the NE where it has been 70% and higher, IIRC Rhode Island had the highest at over 80%, and in CT where my Aunt died it was over 70%. I know GA followed federal guidelines and then some, with our Governor sending the national guard in hazmat suits into nursing homes to clean, sometimes several times.

https://apnews.com/12d83565f65f998c5bfdb32daed08ba2

"Homes that followed federal infection control guidelines were largely able to contain the virus, asserts Seema Verma........."

Not sure what FL and TX have done vis a vis nursing homes

I feel nursing homes are very susceptible to becoming hot spots, as it just takes one carrier (worker, nurse, administrator, new resident, visitor, etc) to come visit and unknowingly spread the virus.

We currently have a very old family member I'd put in a nursing home tomorrow, except that covid-19 makes that a death sentence (IMHO).

I’m not going to have to worry about my DF’s elder care home in GA experiencing a covid-19 outbreak anymore. I got word that DF passed away this evening. He’d been gradually declining for a long time. We’d stayed near him for almost 4 months during the various shutdowns, but ironically the day we make it home to South TX for a brief stay before returning, he passes.

The care home may still experience the trauma of an arrival of Covid-19, and I wouldn’t wish such a thing on anybody, but at least I’ll not be in the middle of it trying to figure out how to protect my dad and his sitters and myself. I guess you can tell this has been a concern of mine.

Last edited:
I’m not going to have to worry about my DF’s elder care home in GA experiencing a covid-19 outbreak anymore. I got word that DF passed away this evening. He’d been gradually declining for a long time. We’d stayed near him for almost 4 months during the various shutdowns, but ironically the day we make it home to South TX for a brief stay before returning, he passes.

The care home may still experience the trauma of an arrival of Covid-19, and I wouldn’t wish such a thing on anybody, but at least I’ll not be in the middle of it trying to figure out how to protect my dad and his sitters and myself. I guess you can tell this has been a concern of mine.

Sorry to hear that, Audrey. Please accept my condolences.

Glad you were able to be with him.

So very sorry to hear about your dad. I am glad that you could be with him a bit in the last few months although I know it wasn't easy due to the pandemic. My mom who lives in Japan doesn't have much time left, but I'm resigned to the possibility that I may not see her before she goes. I'm glad I went to visit her in late January.

Audrey, I am so sorry to read this! Take care.

We’d stayed near him for almost 4 months during the various shutdowns

I know that was very rough for you, in several ways. And losing a parent is always hard, no matter what the circumstances, but you clearly did everything possible. Very sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Audrey. My sympathies.

Audrey, deepest condolences for your loss.

My deepest condolences for your loss. Take care

My sincere condolences go out to you, as one of my favorite posters.

Audrey, so sorry about your Father. It is such a hard time to have an elderly parent. I am very concerned about my mom too.

Sorry for your loss Audrey. Good that you could stay near him for 4 months through all of this.

You took such excellent care of your dad over these last few months. I'm sure he felt loved and cared for by you throughout. It's so hard to lose your parent, but it helps to know you did every thing you could to make him comfortable and happy to the end.

Oh Audrey; I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been aware of your journey these last few months. I remember your mentioning that he was on hospice last summer, when my now deceased mother started hospice. I think you have done an incredible job, given your home is in TX and he was in Georgia.

It's difficult enough under normal circumstances dealing with the declining health of a parent, but to add Covid-19 and the distance issue must have sorely exacerbated the dying process you were shepherding your father through. My DM passed away on 2/8, so we missed the lockdown phase that subsequently overtook the Memory Care facility she lived in just a month later. I've been thankful for that small benefit from her passing when she did and have jokingly told others that Mom had a plan. I wish you much peace and healing.

Last edited:
Audrey I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss Audrey and even sorrier it happened on the one day you were not there in TX. You'll need some time to process the events of the last few months. The regular trials of life continue even in COVID times...and COVID just makes everything harder.

Many families are struggling with how to honor the recently departed in COVID times. We can't even say goodbye and honor them in the "normal" way.

Last edited:
Audrey, very sorry for your loss. You are one of my favorite posters and I have been following your efforts to be as supportive to your dad as possible during these difficult times. May he rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom