Wow, it’s getting really scary in Texas - and everywhere else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally at least 10 degrees, with commensurate increase in humidity.

Well - https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/t...uston-leaders-call-for-city-lockdown/2405236/

Also Johns Hopkins site which gives a graph of the 7 day moving average for positivity. (Blue line)
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/texas

Yeah it was Harris county or Houston that had the 25% positivity rate. I assume that is falling now but did not see an updated figure. Looks like cases and hospitalizations showing signs of levelling out but that may be premature to say.

10 degrees, that's a biggie!

Yeah it was Harris county or Houston that had the 25% positivity rate. I assume that is falling now but did not see an updated figure. Looks like cases and hospitalizations showing signs of levelling out but that may be premature to say.

10 degrees, that's a biggie!

I updated - today it was 18 degree difference in the high temp.

It takes low humidity to let temps rise really high, and that’s what happens 80 miles inland where we live. On SPI you have the coastal humidity plus the moderating effects of the ocean and lagoon.

I updated - today it was 18 degree difference in the high temp.

It takes low humidity to let temps rise really high, and that’s what happens 80 miles inland where we live. On SPI you have the coastal humidity plus the moderating effects of the ocean and lagoon.

Even bigger!

Hey the data I was looking at was TMC data. It seems that is "greater Houston".

I’m not going to have to worry about my DF’s elder care home in GA experiencing a covid-19 outbreak anymore. I got word that DF passed away this evening. He’d been gradually declining for a long time. We’d stayed near him for almost 4 months during the various shutdowns, but ironically the day we make it home to South TX for a brief stay before returning, he passes.

I am sorry for your loss. You did so much to care for and spend time with him. May your memories provide comfort.

MODERATOR NOTE: The "it's just the flu" argument has resulted in the closure of several threads so far. Don't let it derail this one as well.

Mod Note:

(several recent posts were deleted - you will not receive individual notices if yours was one of them)

Unsubstantiated info on Covid is not acceptable. Before posting new data/info, make sure it is valid, and from a reasonable source. Sharing unverifiable facebook/blog/twitter theories is a good way to get this thread closed and posting privileges removed. If you see questionable content here, please report, it rather than engaging in counter-arguments.

We realize that a great many community members want to keep this discussion active, however, attempts to take things sideways are creating substantial work for your (all-volunteer) mod team. This is not sustainable.

Please stick to the principles for this covid-sub, as found here:
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f55/new-area-for-covid-19-topics-readme-102567.html

- Is it true?
- Is it helpful?
- Is it kind?

Last edited:
Lets see if we can get back on track. New numbers from Florida show the number of fatalities has increased from (rolling 7 day average) 30 per day a month ago, to 60 a day a week ago, and today hit 81. Hospitalizations have doubled over the same period. New cases appear to be slowing, but the positive rate on tests is still above 11%.

The good news in South Florida is there has not been a major outbreak in any senior facility since strict measures were announced a couple of months ago. They are under strict lockdown, with no visitors and all employees being tested every 2 weeks, but it is working.

I wondered where this thread had disappeared to this morning!

So my state, California, made the news once again yesterday because of our taking a big step backward. However, in that all of the items on the governor's list pertain to indoor activities, other than bars which are now closed regardless, DH and I won't feel an impact in that we've avoided being indoors like the plague, other than speedy shopping trips. Losing haircuts, actually, is the one we may feel, but not until September. We both got speed* cuts last month, and had our stylist go 'good and short' just in case. (*speed cuts in that we washed our hair at home first, no highlights (me), just 15 minutes in the chair each, CDC safety provisions followed by all involved).

The bigger question for me is what is the long game here? Recent studies done in Spain and the UK seem to be pointing to post-COVID antibodies as fading out over subsequent months, meaning re-infection would be a distinct possibility. Time, of course will tell whether or not this is the case or not.

But if this is the case, what then? How do we restructure our world to accommodate living with COVID 19 as a permanent state of being?

So, yep, that is what is running through my mind this morning over here in coastal S. California (we're in the high 70's currently, and oh my are DH and I appreciative. :) )

Last edited:
New cases appear to be slowing, but the positive rate on tests is still above 11%.

At the risk of sounding like one of the Four Yorkshiremen, I'd classify that 11% positive rate as "sheer luxury". The positivity rate in San Antonio topped 20% three weeks ago and has continued to climb to the current level of 24%.

It really has gotten scary in TX.

I wondered where this thread had disappeared to this morning!

So my state, California, made the news once again yesterday because of our taking a big step backward. However, in that all of the items on the governor's list pertain to indoor activities, other than bars which are now closed regardless, DH and I won't feel an impact in that we've avoided being indoors like the plague, other than speedy shopping trips. Losing haircuts, actually, is the one we may feel, but not until September. We both got speed* cuts last month, and had our stylist go 'good and short' just in case. (*speed cuts in that we washed our hair at home first, no highlights (me), just 15 minutes in the chair each, CDC safety provisions followed by all involved).

The bigger question for me is what is the long game here? Recent studies done in Spain and the UK seem to be pointing to post-COVID antibodies as fading out over subsequent months, meaning re-infection would be a distinct possibility. Time, of course will tell whether or not this is the case or not.

But if this is the case, what then? How do we restructure our world to accommodate living with COVID 19 as a permanent state of being?

So, yep, that is what is running through my mind this morning over here in coastal S. California (we're in the high 70's currently, and oh my are DH and I appreciative. :) )

I sincerely believe that the end game will be that our wonderful scientists will figure out an effective vaccine or at least effective antivirals similar to those for AIDS so that we as a population can learn to survive with Covid19. It may take a year or two but I believe it will be done. That is why I am doing everything reasonably possible to make sure that me and my loved ones do not get this virus now. It may be that everyone will catch the virus eventually but for me and mine I want that time to be later rather than sooner.

Lets see if we can get back on track. New numbers from Florida show the number of fatalities has increased from (rolling 7 day average) 30 per day a month ago, to 60 a day a week ago, and today hit 81. Hospitalizations have doubled over the same period. New cases appear to be slowing, but the positive rate on tests is still above 11%.

The good news in South Florida is there has not been a major outbreak in any senior facility since strict measures were announced a couple of months ago. They are under strict lockdown, with no visitors and all employees being tested every 2 weeks, but it is working.

All time high in # of deaths today in FLA.

Here in AZ, another national COVID hotspot, it's also a mess. Key measures of hospital stress rose again today as Arizona reported 4,273 new COVID-19 cases and 92 additional known deaths.

During the past three weeks, cases increased by 120% and tests increased by 64%. Of known test results from last week, 18% have come back positive, meaning there is not enough broad testing and the virus is widespread. Cases are growing far more than what would just be accounted for by increased testing.

Inpatient hospitalizations, ICU beds in use and ventilators in use by suspected and confirmed COVID-19 patients each hit new records, according to Monday's hospital data reported to the state.

Another concern going forward is how this trend of high inpatient census will affect hospital staff who are already stressed. It is likely that quality of care is already being impacted.

I sincerely believe that the end game will be that our wonderful scientists will figure out an effective vaccine or at least effective antivirals similar to those for AIDS so that we as a population can learn to survive with Covid19. It may take a year or two but I believe it will be done. That is why I am doing everything reasonably possible to make sure that me and my loved ones do not get this virus now. It may be that everyone will catch the virus eventually but for me and mine I want that time to be later rather than sooner.

That is my take. I am not particularly hopeful about the vaccine angle. The FDA has massively lowered the bar for approval and I think it is unlikely we have an effective one in the next year. Therapeutics appear to be on the horizon, though.

We don't have a positivity rate like Florida, Texas or AZ, but my county has been holding at over 6%... which is higher than it was a month ago.

I've been acting like we're in it for the long haul - Some minor face covering additions to the beach walk outfit... and some physical distance between myself and my sister... This is the new normal.

Attachments

• maskedbeach.jpg
    maskedbeach.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 63
NC governor today extended phase 2 ("Safer at Home") for 3 more weeks. So, no bars or gyms. He didn't rollback anything, although the bowling alleys have been going through the courts and are now closed again after apparently briefly opening.

He also announced plans for school which the districts can choose. A) All remote learning. B) A hybrid of remote some weeks, in-person other weeks with heavily reduced attendance.

Texas just reported a new record of over 10,000 new cases. A doc being interviewed on cable news just now stated that his hospital(sorry didn't catch the name)went from 96 hospitalized patients in June to over 1200 today.

At the risk of sounding like one of the Four Yorkshiremen, I'd classify that 11% positive rate as "sheer luxury". The positivity rate in San Antonio topped 20% three weeks ago and has continued to climb to the current level of 24%.

It really has gotten scary in TX.

Overall Texas state positivity rate is averaging around 17%. But, yeah - a lot of areas have much higher rates. Wasn’t Houston like at 25%!?

This site has some good customizable graphs that let you visualize any of the data from JHU or The Covid Tracking Project. An interactive visualization of the exponential spread of COVID-19 | 91-DIVOC

Here's the 7-day rolling average of positive test rates by state over the past 4 weeks.

Arizona has been high throughout, and as of Monday is at 26.45%. Florida: 18.73%. South Carolina: 17.53%. Texas: 17.04%.

Attachments

• 91-DIVOC-states-(None) (1).png
    91-DIVOC-states-(None) (1).png
    316.4 KB · Views: 78
There may a problem with some of these positivity numbers, at least FL:
https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/f...s-have-not-reported-negative-covid-19-results

One snippet:
How could that be? FOX 35 News investigated these astronomical numbers, contacting every local location mentioned in the report.

The report showed that Orlando Health had a 98 percent positivity rate. However, when FOX 35 News contacted the hospital, they confirmed errors in the report. Orlando Health's positivity rate is only 9.4 percent, not 98 percent as in the report.

Numbers is hard.

I don’t know if rumors are off limits but heard a friend of a friend said Houston ‘is going to announce shut down again here in a day or so’

Friends whole family just got back positive tests.

I don’t know if rumors are off limits but heard a friend of a friend said Houston ‘is going to announce shut down again here in a day or so’

Friends whole family just got back positive tests.

Guessing we will see a bunch of shutdowns in coming months.

I would be surprised if entire families didn't routinely get it. AFter all, this stuff is very contagious and you are all living in close association.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom