XFL: 2020 Season

Birdie Num Nums

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The new XFL Football season starts tomorrow, Saturday, Feb. 8.

Isn't the XFL connected somewhat with the NFL? Didn't they have some XFL games broadcast on the NFL Network last year? How many XFL teams were there last year, and how many this year. (Guess I could google that, but that's no fun as I write this post.)

I remember the former XFL from ... when? The late 1990s/early 2000? It folded soon afterward. But the NFL adopted from the XFL the super-imposed yellow 1st down line and the overhead flying camera, and the 2-point conversion.

I haven't seen the Seattle Dragons play yet, but since they are my local team and Seahawks great QB Jim Zorn is their coach, I guess I should became a Dragons fan. Go Dragons! or Go Drags! Or ....

Sorry, these off season attempts at continuation of major league sports just never seem to work. Not sure why they keep trying it. I like the transition to the next. According to my Facebook feed, that’s NASCAR, but I like to think it’s time to watch basketball and hockey until the boys of summer make their way into the ballpark.

The new XFL Football season starts tomorrow, Saturday, Feb. 8.

Isn't the XFL connected somewhat with the NFL? Didn't they have some XFL games broadcast on the NFL Network last year? How many XFL teams were there last year, and how many this year. (Guess I could google that, but that's no fun as I write this post.)

I remember the former XFL from ... when? The late 1990s/early 2000? It folded soon afterward. But the NFL adopted from the XFL the super-imposed yellow 1st down line and the overhead flying camera, and the 2-point conversion.

I haven't seen the Seattle Dragons play yet, but since they are my local team and Seahawks great QB Jim Zorn is their coach, I guess I should became a Dragons fan. Go Dragons! or Go Drags! Or ....

The XFL is not connected at all with the NFL. This is its first season since 2001. Is is connected with the WWE, as Vince McMahon is restarting it (he was also behind its initial attempt in 2001, its only season). He must have money to burn. :)

I was half thinking of going to the DC Defenders game Saturday, a month ago tickets could be had for around $25. But the interest seems to have surged, at least for its first week, and the cheapest tickets are now going for $100.

It will be interesting to see how much this lasts. Last year the AAF tried to start, also right after the Super Bowl, and they folded before their own season completed.

I read that a big reason for the XLF is sports betting.

If the play is competitive, then there may be possibility.

As for me, at most I'll just give a token glance. But I'm gearing for baseball.

I noted that there was an XFL game on when I flipped past it while browsing on the TV. I ended up watching NASCAR cup practice at Daytona, and am looking forward to the twin 125 races on Thursday, and the 500 on Sunday.

No real interest in watching unknown teams/players trying to be relevant. I watch NFL every chance I get, and follow the Browns....so NOT a band wagon fan.

I watched about 20-30 minutes each of the two games on Saturday afternoon. Considering it was the first game it was entertaining enough for me, more interesting than the Lakers vs Warriors NBA game in the evening. Looks like they are trying to shake up the rules, which was nice to see.
Jim Zorn was focused on the sidelines. It was good to see him coaching.

I am following basketball and looking forward to March Madness. But I find spring football interesting, especially seeing college guys I remember getting back on the field.

Might have to go to a Defenders game, maybe when they play Dallas.

Come on, next sport season is Golf. Phil is only 2 stokes out going into today’s final round.
:)

Sorry, these off season attempts at continuation of major league sports just never seem to work. Not sure why they keep trying it. I like the transition to the next. According to my Facebook feed, that’s NASCAR, but I like to think it’s time to watch basketball and hockey until the boys of summer make their way into the ballpark.

Ditto! I live for college & NFL football season, and I probably enjoy it so much because I relish every game, knowing it will be over all too soon. College basketball gets me through until MLB kicks in and then in July/August I'm giddy for training camp and pre-season games and training camp. :dance:

I watched the first two games yesterday. Both were pretty good. I liked "some" (but not all) of the new rules and the refs didn't seem to be such asshats. PI, roughing the passers and kickers was called "when" it was blatant and not just incidental.

Hey, the Houston team even won....

After the games I realized that one of the best things was that Joe Buck wasn't announcing.:dance:

Last edited:
I watched both games and thought they were pretty good. I will watch the two today as well. Only thing I didn't care for was the attempted interviews in the endzone immediately following a TD. Leave the interviews for the sidelines. This is the deadzone of sports for me so the XFL is very welcome. I don't watch hockey and mid-season NBA or NCAA basketball doesn't interest me much. I just wish there was a local team for me to route for.

As for being connected to other organizations, XFL is in no way connected to the NFL and the only way it's connected to the WWE is that Vince McMahon is the majority share holder and CEO of WWE and is also the owner of Alpha Entertainment which owns the XFL. XFL is a seperate entity.

I wonder how much the sideline interview yesterday where the player threw out a giant F bomb on ABC cost them? They will have to work on placing fines on the players for vulgarity.

I really liked the kickoff rules, and I bet the NFL tries to steal it. I'm not too sure about the extra point rules, but at first glance I at least like the 1 or 2 point option. 3 points seems a bit ridiculous as it's too advantageous for just one play in the game, and way too much of a game changer in my opinion.

I wonder how much the sideline interview yesterday where the player threw out a giant F bomb on ABC cost them? They will have to work on placing fines on the players for vulgarity.

I really liked the kickoff rules, and I bet the NFL tries to steal it. I'm not too sure about the extra point rules, but at first glance I at least like the 1 or 2 point option. 3 points seems a bit ridiculous as it's too advantageous for just one play in the game, and way too much of a game changer in my opinion.

That's a good point about the language. I heard the "F bomb" twice with one being very obvious and loud. XFL players don't make a lot of money so you fine them $10K they will notice unlike NFL players.

That's a good point about the language. I heard the "F bomb" twice with one being very obvious and loud. XFL players don't make a lot of money so you fine them $10K they will notice unlike NFL players.
With the open mic practice being used in the XFL, it's going to happen. It's just the way many groups of men talk. (Of course it's not just men that talk that way) :cool: Personalty, I don't mind hearing a good H*** or D*** when appropriate... F bombs don't really bother me either but I'm not sure the general audience is ready for too much of that just yet.

Last edited:
I watched the first two games yesterday. Both were pretty good. I liked "some" (but not all) of the new rules and the refs didn't seem to be such asshats.....

After the games I realized that one of the best things was that Joe Buck wasn't announcing.:dance:

WELL, that's enough to make me reconsider watching XFL games. :LOL: I really don't know how that man keeps his job. I don't know anyone who enjoys listening to him.

I'm not interested in college or XFL football. It's only NFL for me. That takes too much of my time as it is, and I'm actually relieved to see the season come to and end after seeing my Chiefs take home the prize after decades of watching. I won't be watching anymore sports until next season with the NFL.

Now if only Tony Romo would go away. Oh well, the bad with the good.

I watched a bit. I liked the in the face interviews. I liked the cameraman going right up to the pile on the fumble recovery (and getting an elbow in his camera).

These are sort of gimmicks, but nothing like the gimmicks of the original XFL.

I was confused at times hearing the coaches talk and the refs talk. I wasn't sure if it was the announcers or the coaches/refs. But my confusion doesn't make it bad, I liked hearing the inside talk.

My main sport is NHL (hockey). I'd love to hear some of the coach and ref speak.

I'm not a fan of gambling. Don't care that other people do it. But yeah, the XFL is a lot about gambling. I'd rather see it in this format than jai alai, which I believe to just be a scam of a game.

Looks like this game will make it 0-3 for games being done in the planned 3 hours or less. The first game will not be done before the second starts just like yesterday. They should do something about that.

They've sold over 25,000 tickets for today's home opener (Seattle). I was tempted to go too, as tickets are relatively cheap, but with those viruses goin' round, I declined. I wonder how many other folks are avoiding crowds for this reason, and whether this will be a significant factor for ticket sales generally.

They've sold over 25,000 tickets for today's home opener (Seattle). I was tempted to go too, as tickets are relatively cheap, but with those viruses goin' round, I declined. I wonder how many other folks are avoiding crowds for this reason, and whether this will be a significant factor for ticket sales generally.

There is zero reason to avoid crowds anymore than any other time.

'XFL suspends operations, lays off employees and has no plans for 2021 season' ....

The XFL suspended operations Friday morning and laid off nearly all of its staff, multiple sources told ESPN. While a handful of executives remain employed, the league currently has no plans to return in 2021.

The league canceled its season last month after five games as part of a nationwide shutdown due to the coronavirus pandemic, pledging to return next year....

Back
Top Bottom