Yearly Mileage on FIRE?

2 vehicles--average about 4k-5k miles each yearly. Thing with us is we just hate driving. Crummy roads, road construction delays, having to hit all the rest stops with old age bladder problems, people tailgating you from 6 feet back when you're going 65 mph. Bah---what I need is my own personal chauffeur! Hey--maybe that self-driving car has something going for it afterall!

Average miles driven annually since retiring 8 1/2 years ago is 8900 miles a year.

We drive about 6,000 miles/yr. That includes excursion with the dinghy when traveling with the RV.

The RV gets driven between 4,000 to 10,000 miles each year.

I'll only have to do an annual oil change on the truck, and that driven by calendar, not miles.

DW does a lot more driving than me, most of the additional is to babysit the grandnieces or grandnephew. She jumps at that every chance she gets. Before that it was also looking after her father, she about wore out the older car doing that.

Mine dropped significantly.

Used to drive 4-7k/yr while working (the variance being work road trips and vacation road trips or visiting family a couple hundred miles away). Work has never been more than ~4 miles away from home (living in the city FTW!!).

Now it's down to around 80-100 miles/month typically plus whatever we might drive for vacations (like 300-400 miles to Florida for a cruise!). Most weeks I'll hit up a grocery store or two in the car, maybe grab a take out meal outside the neighborhood 1x/wk. Lunch with friends a few miles away maybe 1-2x/month. Drive the 1.5 miles to grandma's house or 3-6 miles to the pool or city indoor water park. Very very short trips for the most part.

The large majority of my trips are on foot. This past week, I took 10 trips to school to drop off or pick up the kids. 1 trip to the dollar store for some toiletries and groceries. Just got back from coffee at the neighborhood Starbucks with a new 30-something early retiree acquaintance. Yesterday we walked 1 mile to the library and park. Tomorrow is a 0.6 mile walk to another park for a play date with a neighbor and her twin 3 year olds and our 3 y.o.

In contrast, I only drove 3x last week (one trip was visiting the mechanic to keep my car operating). This coming week I might only drive 1-2x (getting takeout pizza tomorrow and maybe hit up the grocery store and/or go swimming later).

Still rocking my 2000 Honda Civic with almost 99,000 miles.

I've had my car nearly 4 years and I'm averaging just 2,600 miles/year. I bought it about 6 months before I FIRE'd. My home has a "walkscore" over 90. I can do most things on foot or by bike. There's also decent public transportation that I use.

I kept my previous car 17+ years and averaged only 3,500 miles/year. There was only one 6-month period when I had to commute daily by car. I mostly biked, walked, or took public transport depending on the work location. I hate city & suburban driving. I bicycled more miles last year than I drove my car.

Mine has more than doubled to about 24,000 a year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I used to drive 15,000/yr just commuting, but that ended last November when I retired. Since then, my mothers health declined and we pretty much replaced the w*rk commute with the family commute. Now, she is dead, and we are free to travel (just bought a new car), but need to fix her old house and get it ready to sell. I have lots of cars for short distance driving, but , until now nothing to drive on trip.

Back
Top Bottom