Yes Virginia There is a Santa Claus

moguls

Recycles dryer sheets
Who said miracles never happen?

I have been marching towards a planned early retirement in May 2004. Just before Thanksgiving I was offered the opportunity to leave now. Offer would be to cover my salary for the next 6 months.

I'm gone.

Who would have predicted it? Still hasn't sunk in. I've been planning ER for 20 years, then all of a sudden I'm there. Wow, I think I've died and gone to heaven. :D :D :D

Moguls
(170 days and counting) - Whoa that's ZERO days and no longer counting.

Love those FMP options! Congrats and enjoy

wayne

The biggest adjustment that I had to make when I first retired was looking forward to Mondays. Traffic is light (excluding rush hour), stores are open and there are no crowds. It's great.

Welcome aboard and have fun.

John R.

I guess I was in acronym land too long - AT&T/Lucent/Avaya.... where everything was an acronym. Anyway, they had a number of "FMP's" at all 3 places - it stands for "Force Management Plan" and can cover layoffs and incentive based downsizing such as you mentioned.

Wayne

Moguls,

Congratulations !!! - I guess the company did not want you around any more with that **** eating Grin on your Face! :D

Hi Moguls! My wish for you is that you enjoy being retired as much I I do.

John Galt

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Well my first Monday was interesting. Slept a little late (6:00 am) - normally got up at 5:00. Went to the gym, had a nice workout, then spent the day doing a little rearranging of my study, since I'll be making more use of it in retirement.

Didn't miss work a bit. They did email me several times asking miscellaneous questions. I'll help them as long as it doesn't become an inconvenience or go on for too long.

Then around 3:00 I was contacted by an acquaintance at another company asking if I want to do a little consulting for them! Told him politely "No". Holy #$%#, I've only been retired for 7 working hours.

Moguls
(Still getting used to this ER thing)

Hey Moguls! I went from complete workaholism
to a lazy slug almost overnight with no angst
whatsoever. I may be unusual in that respect
as I required no period of adjustment.

I was coaxed out of my semiretirement about
four (4) months into it. It helped me a lot financially.
I had another very nice job offer pending when I hung
it up for good in 1998. Turned it down flat. No regrets!

John Galt

Back
Top Bottom