Applied for my SS online, have a phone interview next month.

Where is the copy of the letter kept on SSA.GOV in the "my Social Security" login?

I cannot seem to find it even though it says approved.

Here:

Attachments

• ssJPG.JPG
    ssJPG.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 59
I applied on my own benefits in Aug. My birthday is in November. I am currently receiving spousal. There is a popup on my SS page that said I was approved. However, I cannot tell what The amount will be or when it will start. It said something to the effect of: They will send me a confirmation letter during the 2nd week of the month of my (increased) benefit. Not much of advance notice IMO in case there was a screwup that needed to be looked into. I suspect this "notice schedule" is SOP for anyone filing. This is somewhat different from your situation though, so it may be different.

FWIW, I applied on Aug 11th. The website still shows the bar graph 2/3rds complete, but says "approved" in the wording below the graph. According to the SS website, I should expect to see my benefits online around Nov 10th, a full (almost) 3 months after application. And another ~10 days before I receive a confirmation letter in the mail.

Your claim has been approved but will continue to show pending until the month you elected to start your benefits.

Example – If you chose August 2021 to start benefits, your claim status will show pending until on or about August 10, 2021. After this time, your claim status will be updated to show the application process is complete. We will mail you a notice within 10-15 days of completing the application process.

Just got approved

I filed on 1 Sep to start receiving SS starting 1 Jan 2023. Got an email today saying I was approved and would receive notification in the mail in 10-15 days explaining my benefits.

I filed on 1 Sep to start receiving SS starting 1 Jan 2023. Got an email today saying I was approved and would receive notification in the mail in 10-15 days explaining my benefits.

I'm 2-3 days behind you. If the one guy they have processing applications doesn't go on vacation or get sick I should get some kind of notice early next week, maybe.

Interview? What interview? I sent in a question about my benefit - not applying for it - & they started it, anyway! It was a couple of years before I planned to apply, but by the time I figured out what had happened, it was too much of a hassle to pay them back, so I could start over.

I applied online in June, was denied without any explanation in August, appealed that same day, and am still waiting for their review here in November. I was born overseas to U.S. Citizens while my Dad was serving in the army. I was disappointed that instead of asking for proof of my citizenship, they just denied my application. Hopefully, the appeal will be positive.

I applied online in June, was denied without any explanation in August, appealed that same day, and am still waiting for their review here in November. I was born overseas to U.S. Citizens while my Dad was serving in the army. I was disappointed that instead of asking for proof of my citizenship, they just denied my application. Hopefully, the appeal will be positive.

should be OK. My brother was born overseas to US Army couple. No issues.

should be OK. My brother was born overseas to US Army couple. No issues.

Might be just a bad day. DW is a naturalized US citizen. When she applied they asked for the same docs she needed to get her residency and then US citizenship - original birth certificate, marriage certificate, proof we were still living together, and also her passport and certificate of naturalization. I thought it excessive but they said to not to bother showing up without everything. During the interview I offered it to the agent. He looked at the manilla folder in my hand and waived it away saying “no need”. He just wanted her ID.

Bureaucracies work in mysterious ways …

Hopefully, the appeal will be positive.
Helping you deal with this issue is one of the primary functions of your congressional representative, and usually they are quite good at helping their constituents resolve bureaucratic issues, especially SS. You can call the constituency support office and easily submit your request for assistance.

UPDATE: On a lark, I logged in to my SSA account today to see if anything has been posted about my application. There were no new messages in my message box., But the main page looked a bit different. I opened up my "benefits letter". Lo and behold, the new amount was there. I will see it in my December deposit. Then get another "takehome" raise in JAnuary due to lower Medicare deductions and COLA :dance:

UPDATE: On a lark, I logged in to my SSA account today to see if anything has been posted about my application. There were no new messages in my message box., But the main page looked a bit different. I opened up my "benefits letter". Lo and behold, the new amount was there. I will see it in my December deposit. Then get another "takehome" raise in JAnuary due to lower Medicare deductions and COLA :dance:

Mine is the same as yours. The only way to find out anything is to read that benefits letter that is for proof of social security income. I suppose eventually we will get a letter in the mail. my first check will come in december with the new amount. The progression did change to say step 3 out of 3 was completed. So, I poked around and found the new amount, but it sure isn't clearly stated, and no message about it either.

Last edited:
I'd also like to have taxes withheld from my SS automatically. I didn't see an option to request that when I signed up online. Is that something I'll have to go to a SS office to set up?

You can do it online

Exact same situation for me several years ago. However I was told in the online application process that I couldn't apply online but needed an in person interview.

I read on the SS website that "most applications are approved in two to four weeks":D

I currently receive s spousal benefit and filed for my own retirement benefit on Oct 2; my application is in step two. After reading the thread I reckon processing time is probably closer to three months. Age 70 in December, payable January 2023. :dance:

Interviews, applying 4 months before benefits start…..seems like a very inefficient process, even for the government. I assumed if you had online SS account it would be a few pages to fill out on the computer…it’s 2022 but the government acts like it’s 1972.

I read on the SS website that "most applications are approved in two to four weeks":D

I currently receive s spousal benefit and filed for my own retirement benefit on Oct 2; my application is in step two. After reading the thread I reckon processing time is probably closer to three months. Age 70 in December, payable January 2023. :dance:

apparently the month you apply in is not relevant. They won't show it processed until the month you start benefits. ( that is what happened to me ). I applied 3 months early , eligible this month. Now it is showing approved with the new amount in a letter about proof of benefits.

Seems like letters or confirmation documentation on MySocialSercurity come 1 month prior to the first payment date. At least that is what I am suspecting based on comments here.

Interviews, applying 4 months before benefits start…..seems like a very inefficient process, even for the government. I assumed if you had online SS account it would be a few pages to fill out on the computer…it’s 2022 but the government acts like it’s 1972.

I think for most people it goes fairly smooth, my guess is those that need interviews or have delays have some kind of issue with their application. I didn't need an interview and it showed approved after a couple weeks.

Seems like letters or confirmation documentation on MySocialSercurity come 1 month prior to the first payment date. At least that is what I am suspecting based on comments here.

Sounds like it. Seems to me that this practice undercuts their attempt to get more people to use the online site. It would be better if they posted the results of their review and pushed a notice via email that something new was posted. It isn't like such technology is new or seldom used. Even Vanguard manages to push out notices with their Commodore 64.

Interviews are rare and the 4 months is just a guideline....most people can fill it all out on the computer...so no they aren't acting like it's 1972.

Interviews are rare and the 4 months is just a guideline....most people can fill it all out on the computer...so no they aren't acting like it's 1972.

I’ve not found a way to get notifications/letters online on my account, they all come by snail mail. Is there a way to get them online?

Back
Top Bottom