"You know ... you know"

Nothing listed above can compare to the misuse of it's (abbreviation of it is) in places where its is the right word.

Before picking on something like gift vs. give (both are listed as verbs), let's pick on something really grammatically incorrect. Just sayin'...

Hey, I did not start this thread, and am not even the first replier.

Last edited:
Nothing listed above can compare to the misuse of it's (abbreviation of it is) in places where its is the right word.

Before picking on something like gift vs. give (both are listed as verbs), let's pick on something really grammatically incorrect. Just sayin'...

Hey, I did not start this thread, and am not even the first replier.

All the other posts have to do with spoken terms--it's very hard for me to hear if there is an apostrophe in someone's spoken use of "its" or "it's" (or even the always wrong "its' ")

OK. Please excuse me then.

I am a recluse and have days when I speak with nobody. But I read all the time, hence my above pet peeve.

Last edited:
So, lemme ax like when's the Dow gonna, uh, reach 20k so me and my ROTH gots more moneys, you know!!!

In verbal communication, a lot of times it is not what is being said as much as how it is said. When you don't like a person for a certain reason, his mannerism can drive you insane.

All the previously mentioned, plus:

The moronification of America rages on.

215538_large.jpg

One of the toughest things I had to do was break the "you know" speaking habit when I started working. I took a speech class to essentially train myself to take a pause when I felt that phrase coming on. It took some effort but it worked.

Nouning of verbs doesn't sound good to my ears. "Send you an Invite" for "invite you." "Do an Install" for "install."

It doesn't Drive Me Crazy or anything, it just doesn't sound good.

Heh, heh, one of the phrases which has crept into my speech is "do lunch". I think it is long out of favor, but it appeals to me on some level. Could it be from the Fortran I learned 50 years ago? YMMV

Nouning of verbs doesn't sound good to my ears. "Send you an Invite" for "invite you." "Do an Install" for "install."

It doesn't Drive Me Crazy or anything, it just doesn't sound good.

How do you feel about verbing of nouns?

One of the toughest things I had to do was break the "you know" speaking habit when I started working. I took a speech class to essentially train myself to take a pause when I felt that phrase coming on. It took some effort but it worked.

I've done essentially the same thing over the past 6-8 months. I've used my computer to record myself having some typical conversational dialog numerous times, and I've practiced suppressing that phrase while keeping the flow of the conversation going right along. I think this has worked well, since I've noticed recent recordings of myself contain very few instances of the dreaded "you know."

That phrase used to drive my mother crazy back in the 1950's when we kids were growing up.

She'd scowl and say, "No, I *DON'T* know. Why don't you tell me about it." :ROFLMAO:

Such is life as the kid of an English teacher.

Beat me to it. Yes, I remember old people bitching about "ya know" back in the 70's. They're all dead now. Correlation....?

One of the most humbling days for a new lawyer is the day you receive the transcript from your first deposition. Someone has written down your words verbatim and every verbal transgression is laid bare to the world. I was astounded to see how many times I began questions with the entirely unnecessary word "and". It was a major effort to eliminate that habit.

I've been getting sensitive to the word "perfect". Seems that all the call center people are using it in interesting ways. I spell my name or the street address they are having trouble with and they answer "perfect" - I know how to spell my name, you making a hash of it, so you tell me perfect when I spell it? How do you know it's perfect? Or maybe there is a problem they can't address, I call and discover they can't help, and after asking if there is anything else they can help with (no, you've been no help at all) they answer"perfect!".
No, you've been singularly unhelpful and it is not perfect!

Among the younger folks I work with, "perfect" has taken the place,of "thank you."
I've been getting sensitive to the word "perfect". Seems that all the call center people are using it in interesting ways. I spell my name or the street address they are having trouble with and they answer "perfect" - I know how to spell my name, you making a hash of it, so you tell me perfect when I spell it? How do you know it's perfect? Or maybe there is a problem they can't address, I call and discover they can't help, and after asking if there is anything else they can help with (no, you've been no help at all) they answer"perfect!".
No, you've been singularly unhelpful and it is not perfect!

Too often stuff we rush to fill the space between our brains and our mouths, and end up sounding stupid. In my last few years of career BS, I really tried to train myself. No "um's" no "you know".

Instead? I learned to just speak a little more slowly, and let that millisecond pass by silently. I like to think I ended up sounding like someone who is speaking more thoughtfully.

Perfect is very overused. I also do literal eyeroll when I hear "disrupt" these days...soooo 2014.

What a bunch of cranky geezers. I can't imagine a room full of people like us.

Of the many things I find somewhat irritating, "alot" is right up there.

When it comes to our changing language, I mostly just try to keep up with the changes, and laugh at them as they go by.

Somebody typed "your" instead of "you're"? Maybe their phone did it. Maybe they don't know the difference. Maybe they know, but don't care. The sun still came up this morning.

What a bunch of cranky geezers. I can't imagine a room full of people like us.

Sometimes, it is not just poor use of language that bothers me. The mere act of listening can be irritating to the point that I don't hear the words, just the rhythm. That is when every sentence in a conversation ends with a lift of tone making it sound like a question. Does anybody remember "This one time (?) at band camp (?)......"? I never know if they are asking a question, looking for confirmation, or just trying to sound uneducated.

It grates on me, almost as much as the use of the word "insure" when you want to "make certain" instead of "ensure". And don't get me started on the common misuse of the word "literal".

We all have our axe to bear, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom