Your winter weather prognostications

I predict this winter we may have a couple days where frost is possible at night. I also predict there may be as many as a dozen days that it might be too cool to wear shorts on the golf course. Florida is a winter wonderland.

I predict at least 10 trips to and from camp to be in four wheel drive.

Straight from the source: It will be colder, and it will also be warmer.

From The Farmer's Almanac:
a cold winter with normal to below-normal temperatures in areas from the Great Lakes and Midwest, westward through the Northern and Central Plains, and Rockies.
https://www.farmersalmanac.com/extended-forecast

From The Old Farmer's Almanac:
recent warming trends will dominate in the eastern and northern parts of the United States
https://www.almanac.com/winter-extended-forecast-farmers-almanac

Straight from the source: It will be colder, and it will also be warmer.

From The Farmer's Almanac:

From The Old Farmer's Almanac:

What is the difference between The Old Farmer and The Farmer?:cool:

Umm, ~30 days where the high for the day is less than 70 degrees in Tampa. That's all I got.:D

Well, that doesn't portend well for a warm winter in the panhandle.
Over the years we usually have 3 or 4 frosts, but we have went without any*.
* that means I didn't need to put the plastic on the greenhouse. Yay for me!

Well, that doesn't portend well for a warm winter in the panhandle.
Over the years we usually have 3 or 4 frosts, but we have went without any*.
* that means I didn't need to put the plastic on the greenhouse. Yay for me!

Yeah rooting for no frosts and protection for our garden.

Winter weather has already started here, so there is that. Some of the mountains around Geneva are already snow-capped and more snow is in the forecast for this week. I wouldn’t mind lots of snow this year. Last year I installed snow tires on my car for nothing.

I have a gut feeling it's going to be worse than normal, at least here in Maryland. I have a bunch of Chinese Chestnut trees that border the driveway. I've noticed this time around, they're dropping a lot less, and the squirrels are really fighting over them, like I've never seen before.

I don't know if that's really a sign of anything or not, though. This summer was also a lot wetter than the year before, so for all I know that could be part of it. And, initially at least, it seemed like we cooled off a bit quicker than normal. At least, September seemed cooler. But now, here we are pushing mid-October, and part of me wants to pull back the cover on the pool and go in for a dip.

I forgot my own prediction: We are way past due for a couple of heavy snowfalls and I think it's gonna be a bummer when the law of averages catches up with us. People who have neglected snow blower maintenance are gonna be sorry! So will people who are too cheap to buy one, they're gonna wish they had before they're all sold out. And the longer we go without a heavy snowfall I think the worse it's going to be when payback finally arrives.

We're only a couple of hours west of Andre1969 and although I haven't noticed the squirrels fighting over nuts we have had a rather dry summer, which again fuels my sense that we are "due" for a reckoning when the overdue water arrives in whatever form.

I can’t believe no one has posed this yet. “ It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life”

I predict days will become shorter and cooler, with darkness every night.

The neighbor bought a new snow thrower. That’s good luck and means a mild winter.

The winter will be fine as long as I don’t fall through the ice on the lake in my backyard. And fine as long as my atv plow keeps running. And fine as long as my heated gloves work.

^ Lol! That is so true. Things aren't fun in dead winter, if things go south, in the north country either.

Last winter, we never turned on the heat. I don't expect to turn it on this winter, either.

A normal year for us is 9 month's of ice and snow and 3 month's of tough sledding.

Guess the place and this could be any year

From January 1 onward:

Cool,
Warm,
Hot, (winter ends here)
Hotter.
Very Hot,
Hot and very humid,
Back to hot,
Cooling off,
Cool by 12/31

Anytime:

Lots of rain, or maybe a drought, or both?

Sometimes quite a lot of rain, like 53" in one storm:facepalm:

Wind, more wind, crazy wind, thunder, lightening,...no power!

Running the air conditioner so we can have a nice fire in our fireplace for those family get-togethers during the holidays.

Changed the oil and repaired the transmission of the snow blower last week. Even a mild winter here requires a snowblower.
I don't mind how bad it gets usually since I can get away a few weeks to break it up, but Covid might make that too difficult this year, so im putting my head in the snowbank and saying it'll be a warm dry one.

Back
Top Bottom