22 Year Old Living in New York City

CoffeeMoney

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello all,

I am happy to have found this site today. It looks like there is a very nice community here and I have a lot of browsing and learning to do.

I am 22 years old college graduate now working in Finance I.T. for over 1.5 years. I want to make sound financial decisions and avoid debt at all cost. Even though I am young, I want to make sure I make proper investments towards retirement before it's too late. With compounding and interest rate returns, every penny can make a difference.

Currently I am stuck paying off my loans amounting to "only" 24k. I have tried paying off as much as possible already, getting rid of my unsubsidized loans. I am making contributions to my 401k at 6% which is the max match at my workplace. My net worth according to Mint is still negative at -4k and my goal is to be positive by end of year if everything goes well.

-C

Coffeemoney, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have your priorities straight. Good luck achieving your goal.

Currently I am stuck paying off my loans

Welcome aboard!
My first thought is that prioritizing your loan repayments should be #1 on your list. Higher interest rate loans need to get paid off first.

Welcome Coffee. You are going to be SO happy that you started thinking about this at 22 rather than the rather advanced age I did. Congratulations!

Hey CoffeeMoney, welcome to the board.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep up the good work!

Hi CoffeeMoney - welcome. I applaud your long term planning. I started planning for retirement at you age. I'm now approaching 50 and should be good to go in a year (or two or three - depending upon how brave I am !). Without that long term view I'm sure I wouldn't be where I am today. Keep up the good work !

Welcome CoffeeMoney. I wish I had been fortunate to have your wisdom at age 22! It's wonderful you are already planning for your future!

CoffeeMoney, welcome aboard. I retired last year at age 47, but if I have one regret it's that I didn't begin accumulating and investing sooner. I only got serious about it in my mid 30s. Be creative, keep focused on the goal, and you will get there in no time.

Back
Top Bottom