$15 to drive into new york city

DW and I used to frequent Broadway plays, almost always for the Sunday matinee performances. Traffic was lighter, and it was usually easy to get nearby legal on-street parking. Then the pandemic came, and since then we've seen 2 plays. The street parking was not to be had, so we parked in a garage.
This congestion pricing is not just for "downtown," but up to 60th Street, so all of the theater district is affected.
We won't use mass transit - coming from New Jersey, on off peak Sunday, the available trains and buses are less frequent, and where they drop you off means a decent walk at best, or having to take a taxi or NYC public transit. No thanks. Not being political, we do not feel safe with those options. We'll suck it up and pay that congestion fee, but frankly we will be a LOT more choosy in deciding to see a play, in the first place.

I wish those who make knee-jerk anti-NY comments would reconsider. (I count at least 4 so far.)

I strongly doubt I'd ever want to live where you folks do but don't feel the need to jump in & say so whenever the location is mentioned.

I moved to NYC after college & have never wanted to live anywhere else.

Some people aren't happy with what they have unless they can feel like it's better than what someone else has, or that someone else is miserable with what they have.

OK, OK, OK!! Sooorry. I was only going by what I see on the David Muir news. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Sheesh.

Regardless, the $15 a day hit is going to matter to some people and inconvenience them to be forced to move to public transportation while the fat cats won't be inconvenienced at all. Same as it ever was. That was my point.

Personally, it would have to be more like $200 a day for me to BTD and not take my own car.

Last edited:
LOL. We haven’t stayed over for a few years. Looks like $500 is more like it.

Hokey smokes. Of course then your $15 is a drop in the bucket. Now lets talk the valet parking at the hotel. Or do you want to diy park and hoof it? Um, no. Been over 10 years ago I was shocked to hear $50 in downtown Chicago. It was raining, I paid. Don't want to know what it costs now.

Hokey smokes. Of course then your $15 is a drop in the bucket. Now lets talk the valet parking at the hotel. Or do you want to diy park and hoof it? Um, no. Been over 10 years ago I was shocked to hear $50 in downtown Chicago. It was raining, I paid. Don't want to know what it costs now.
We live in NJ. There is a lot to be said for driving up to Hamilton Station, taking the train to Penn Station, and then subway or Uber from there. We've done that for day trips, though never with luggage. When we're staying over we've always driven.

Sounds great to me. Reducing cars also reduces the ramps, lots and spaces required to park them, pollution and noise.

It’s probably a step toward rechargeable autonomous robo taxis, after the tech is worked out and scaled through market forces.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2024/01/23/1086936/whats-next-for-robotaxis-2024/

I wonder if it really will reduce congestion. Anecdotal, but when I was in London for a few days, last year, we learned quickly not to take the buses because the downtown traffic was horrible. Manhattan has always had bad traffic, and I suspect that will continue even after the congestion pricing is implemented.

I find this thread very interesting when considering what the natural progression of things might be.

I was thinking first of the state internet tax collection thing. Some states started getting a lot of sales and it was cutting the revenue of the states where the seller was not domiciled legally. Sort of like how California taxes revenue on any income made there. I notice turbo tax now tries to collect for every state you may have made money in. Bigger more financially able places might take advantage of other area even if the reasons appear good as they are usually first to institute these fees as the problem is more acute there.

States came out with their own way to assess and collect taxes just to equalize things.

I have read that a lot of museum funding comes from government. Amount I read said about 27%. I also read a number saying 20%. Probably performing arts and art schools benefit from federal funding too.

I imagine there is some compromise to let school busses into the city to get to these places or an application for waver of certain fees. Or possibly school buses pay a reduced rate. I'd be curious if anyone knows if there are fee adjustments?

$300 cheap! Is that Motel 6 or something? :LOL:
I can usually get a room at one of the Times Square area Pod hotels or one of my preferred nicer hotels in Flushing for around $200/night. The Pod hotels are perfect for when I'm spending more time in Manhattan than the outer boroughs. For a family trip with 3-5 people, yes, I'd expect to pay at least $400/night without any discounts in Manhattan.

In what way? I still go back 1-3 times a year, and I still take the subway all the time (when I don't take the bus or the LIRR), and have never had any issues.

Last time I was there we saw four turn style jumper in 3 stops. The platforms were brutally hot and unventilated. Trains were dirty. The whole thing felt unsafe and seedy.

And I am a fan of subways. We ride them in every city we visit. I abhor taking taxis in NYC and most places. Trains are cheap and effective.

In the past you would always get the odd balls and the guys who would set up a small band and play between stops while asking for cash. That ranged from humorous to obnoxious, but never once did I feel threatened. Last time I felt like I needed my head on a swivel.

BTW, I will not currently ride the Philly subway either.

The central part of London has had a £15 congestion charge since 2003, and Singapore has had one since 1975.
So yes, this will probably spread to other big cities.

Bring it on. Just one more reason for us to not venture into the hot mess that is Chicago.

Last time I was there we saw four turn style jumper in 3 stops. The platforms were brutally hot and unventilated. Trains were dirty. The whole thing felt unsafe and seedy.

And I am a fan of subways. We ride them in every city we visit. I abhor taking taxis in NYC and most places. Trains are cheap and effective.

In the past you would always get the odd balls and the guys who would set up a small band and play between stops while asking for cash. That ranged from humorous to obnoxious, but never once did I feel threatened. Last time I felt like I needed my head on a swivel.

BTW, I will not currently ride the Philly subway either.

You kidding - I live in NYC part-time and only take Uber or Towncar Service. I'm well past the days of the subway being entertaining.

WRT to congestion pricing in Manhattan, what-evah. Just one more added "tax". It's nothing. I won't even tell you how much it costs to have a monthly 24-hour attended garage space in NYC. A car is a huge luxury in the city, most people don't have. $15 bucks is nothing compared to cost of owning a car in the city. Now let's talk about the speed cameras all over NYC - impossible to consistently stay below 25-30mph or stay out of intersections during rush hour traffic.

I believe Marie Antoinette said, "Let them take the helicopter."

WRT to congestion pricing in Manhattan, what-evah. Just one more added "tax". It's nothing. I won't even tell you how much it costs to have a monthly 24-hour attended garage space in NYC. A car is a huge luxury in the city, most people don't have. $15 bucks is nothing compared to cost of owning a car in the city. Now let's talk about the speed cameras all over NYC - impossible to consistently stay below 25-30mph or stay out of intersections during rush hour traffic.

I'd imagine the garage might run into 6 figures a year. I hope it includes valet. Who of course needs a tip. :LOL:

OK, OK, OK!! Sooorry. I was only going by what I see on the David Muir news. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Sheesh.

Regardless, the $15 a day hit is going to matter to some people and inconvenience them to be forced to move to public transportation while the fat cats won't be inconvenienced at all. Same as it ever was. That was my point.

Personally, it would have to be more like $200 a day for me to BTD and not take my own car.

Well, the $200 per day is for PARKING once you get there.!:LOL:

When I have traveled to NYC, I parked at Newark NJ airport long term parking and took the shuttle to downtown Manhattan.

What's the point of having money if you can't pay to skip the lines and avoid the crowds?

What's the point of having money if you can't pay to skip the lines and avoid the crowds?

+1

Nobody on this forum should be throwing stones at the "rich" with popular topics such as "First Million is the Hardest.." :2funny:

Just a little info...

Back when I was living in Manhattan (2000) I saw where they were selling a parking space in the building for $120,000... I am sure it is much more expensive now...

Back
Top Bottom