Debating between Nevada or Florida to retire

Florida:And with electricity at $0.12/kWh if you have to keep cool a large open high house that isn't insulated very well, you'll spend a fortune doing so.

Not so, we have 3200sqft and our "average" monthly electricity bill is ~$120pm. This is an extract from my actual YTD spreadsheet.

Attachments

• 2017-08-23_16-06-12.jpg
    2017-08-23_16-06-12.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Ever been to Mesquite NV...check it out....

It's also buggy in Florida. FL is the only place in the U.S. that I've lived where I have to wear ear muffs while outside because otherwise the flies crawl into my ears - not a pleasant sensation. This happens even if I'm out for a brisk walk. This may start becoming a problem even in winter (last winter here barely qualified as a 'winter').

I haven't lived in NV so I can't comment on the bug situation there.

Good luck! :greetings10:

It's also buggy in Florida. FL is the only place in the U.S. that I've lived where I have to wear ear muffs while outside because otherwise the flies crawl into my ears -

Up in the bush in OZ the fly was, (and maybe still is), known as the 'National Bird'.

It's also buggy in Florida. FL is the only place in the U.S. that I've lived where I have to wear ear muffs while outside because otherwise the flies crawl into my ears - not a pleasant sensation. This happens even if I'm out for a brisk walk. This may start becoming a problem even in winter (last winter here barely qualified as a 'winter').

Not so much by the beach, we do have NoSee'ums though, typically at dusk. Most FLA homes have a "Birdcage" over the Pool Areas, this keeps them out and provides a little UV protection, as well as keeping the crap out of the Pool.

Attachments

• IMG_3221 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3221 (Medium).JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 74
Given the choice, I would choose western Nevada (around Reno/Carson City).

We have lived in Vegas, Destin area, and Cape Canaveral area. Of the three the Destin area hands down. No Contest!

Florida still uses Nuclear power, which is said to help keep electricity costs down. That is just hearsay; I have no facts to back it up.

Not so, we have 3200sqft and our "average" monthly electricity bill is ~$120pm. This is an extract from my actual YTD spreadsheet.

Wow, that never happened to me, and I'm a total bug magnet. Mosquitoes could be vicious at twilight, though, if the town hadn't sprayed.

I haven't lived in NV so I can't comment on the bug situation there.

Good luck! :greetings10:

Florida still uses Nuclear power, which is said to help keep electricity costs down. That is just hearsay; I have no facts to back it up.

Two nuke plants operating in FL - One in south Dade and one in St. Lucie County. As a former customer of FPL, wasn't obvious it helped with my electric bill.

Florida has all the pests of NV, plus a few extras ;). It is the most biologically active place I've lived. Iguanas, snakes, raccoons, possums all in my back yard in SoFla. Gators are about everywhere.

Everything unpainted will rust quickly, aluminum will corrode especially near the coast.

As to the climate, I lived in Phoenix for many years, and I prefer Florida's except around Orlando-it's far enough south to be warm-to-hot much of the year, but too far inland to get any ocean cooling. I"ll take 90-95 and high humidity over 115+.

Sequim, Washington has to be hands down the winner for best climate year around. In the summer it is 70 degrees (while it is 95 degrees here in eastern Washington) and in the winter it is 55 degrees (while it is -10 here in eastern Washington). Rainfall is like 17 inches a year but if you want to feel more rain you can drive up the coast to Forks where it is around 100 inches a year.

I've lived in Nevada several times. (Elko, Fallon, Henderson). I like the dry, but LV area is too crowded for me. Elko and Fallon are very small. Reno gets cold. I always enjoyed the atmosphere in Laughlin, especially that it not in Arizona but has Arizona like weather. Nevada generally has little in the way of cultural amenities.

I can't speak to living in Florida, But every visit there has been miserably hot, humid, crowded, and traffic was insane. My sister lives north of Tampa, and has big sinkhole problems.

Like other posters have said, quality of life is more than a lack of State income tax.

We have lived in Vegas, Destin area, and Cape Canaveral area. Of the three the Destin area hands down. No Contest!

I'd be curious why. I have never been to Destin. What are the reasons it beats out the others? I am always scouting and keeping track of the good spots.

True if you are an FPL customer. :D

On the west side of FL, or if in a municipal franchise territory you are hosed.

But as previously mentioned, Florida is full up - the no vacancy sign is out. :angel:

Florida is probably the only place where you will see women in their 90's shopping in their tennis outfit and they look pretty good.

Florida is the only place I have seen 40+ golf carts in one place and the closest golf course was 10 miles away.

Florida is probably the only place where you will see women in their 90's shopping in their tennis outfit and they look pretty good.

True. Lot of pleasant looking company when I hit the grocery store in the morning. DGF (solidly in her 60's) hit Lowe's last week in her bikini and a pullover/cover up. Said she'd never done that before. Impressed with her self-confidence :)

Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post

I'd be curious why. I have never been to Destin. What are the reasons it beats out the others? I am always scouting and keeping track of the good spots.

Not speaking for Rustic. Guessing that could have been Nellis, Patrick and Eglin.

Lived in Phoenix, made a few trips to LV and spent a lot of time in central FL, but not much on the Space Coast. Living near Destin now.

Of the 3, I'll take the FL Panhandle. Beautiful beaches with sand that squeaks when you walk on it (and can safely walk barefoot), a lot of good dining, adequate services/retail, but not what I'm used to. Summers a bit milder than further south in Florida. Laid back lifestyle, "beach time" is the standard explanation for why things don't happen promptly. Frustrating at first after moving from SoFla, but have adapted. A lot of AL, GA, LA and TX refugees. Surprised that a few people from CO have found their way here. Close enough to New Orleans and Atlanta for a long weekend trip.

Two downsides for me - not as warm in the winter as I would like (can't do sandals year-round) and the summers are busy with tourists. Schedule your shopping for the mornings and you'll be fine, though.

While I have not lived there I did drive thru the Lake City Fl area last winter. and noticed that there are hills there. It is about as far from a coast as you can get in Fl (thus hurricane winds are less than on the coast). I drove on US 90 which went thru the towns. Lake 60 is about 6 mi west of Jacksonville, at the junction of i 10 and i 75.

We bought a home in Sparks NV where we will eventually move and sell the current Cali home. You do have cold winters in northern NV. Las Vegas is warmer, and very hot in the summer...dry heat. We were looking in Laughlin/Henderson area, but the heat was a no-go. I'm not convinced I'll love living there yet, but so far the neighborhood is prettty good. I don't think I'd want to live in FL...too humid. We lived in Asia for a long time where it is very humid in the summer. DW says never again, so FL is out for us.

Yes, it's common to see women of all ages wearing not very much. I mean, it's hot. Also, today's 60-ish women have been wearing sunscreen since our teens or 20's, and aren't as likely to have the leather skin and gully-washed cleavage of older women back in the 70's (when I lived in FL).

Too bad the same can't be said of the men :nonono: I don't honestly know why, but they look exactly like their grandpas did, back when I was a teenager trying to avoid their attentions!

True. Lot of pleasant looking company when I hit the grocery store in the morning. DGF (solidly in her 60's) hit Lowe's last week in her bikini and a pullover/cover up. Said she'd never done that before. Impressed with her self-confidence :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom