Debating between Nevada or Florida to retire

Retired2017

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hoping to hear from some folks in Nevada (thinking Vegas, Henderson, or possibly Laughlin) Florida (Orlando to Daytona). I know for tax purposes these states make the most sense including weather. Just unsure either would be a big move and would appreciate input.

Look beyond the big cities in Southern Nevada such as Fallon or Carson City (all be it you do have some winter there). Or if you are willing to live in nearly the middle of nowhere try Eureka or Ely. (or Cities east of Reno on I-80)

Look beyond the big cities in Southern Nevada such as Fallon or Carson City (all be it you do have some winter there). Or if you are willing to live in nearly the middle of nowhere try Eureka or Ely. (or Cities east of Reno on I-80)

For me, this would boil down to one question: "can you handle humidity?"

Hoping to hear from some folks in Nevada (thinking Vegas, Henderson, or possibly Laughlin) Florida (Orlando to Daytona). I know for tax purposes these states make the most sense including weather. Just unsure either would be a big move and would appreciate input.

Fort Lauderdale is my favorite. City is big enough to have everything needed, but not too big. Lots to do and beautiful scenery and warm weather. It's also a great "walk around" city - if you live close to downtown, everything is in walking distance. Although I just re-read your question and it isn't between Orlando and Daytona! Sorry [emoji52]

I live just outside Orlando, 20 minutes to WDW. My husband grew up in this area and won't relocate, but if it were just me I'd go to Destin, Fl in the panhandle. The heat and congestion is a little less intense, but of course the risk of hurricanes increases somewhat. To live in central Florida you need to learn to love hot humid weather for at least 6-7 months a year, typically.

I have considered both as well. Our problem is Southern Nevada is too hot for my better half and northern Nevada is too cold for me. Florida is too humid for both of us. Lol.

We all hate paying taxes, that's for sure!

However, when looking for a retirement location, it is probably wise to compare ALL costs, not just state taxes. If other costs are higher, then even states with no state income taxes can be relatively expensive.

So, you might want to look at overall cost-of-living comparison sites. There are many such sites, and I don't know which one is best although here's one that I sometimes use.

Also, quality of life is important to most of us, and usually means a higher cost of living.

I have never lived in either Florida or Nevada so I can't help much there.

Last edited:
Nevada might run out of water in your lifetime. Northern Florida is probably a better bet. It is NOT full there yet. Stay away from Orlando/Tampa. North of John's Pass is pretty quiet, with the action of the Pass nearby.

Last edited:
I have considered both as well. Our problem is Southern Nevada is too hot for my better half and northern Nevada is too cold for me. Florida is too humid for both of us. Lol.
Northern Nevada is misleading. The thermometer says it is cold, but to me it is so dry that it is not even slightly uncomfortable. Also, it is generally not windy, unlike some other dry cold destinations. If I had ever wanted to leave WA, Reno would have been my destination.

Ha

Nevada? I don't think so. The place is desert and really hot.

Florida humidity? Louisiana and South Texas are hotter and more humid.

Other than San Diego, Florida has the best weather in the continental US. Come.February,.you'd be glad you're.there.

Nevada might run out of water in your lifetime. Northern Florida is probably a better bet. It is NOT full there yet. Stay away from Orlando/Tampa. North of John's Pass is pretty quiet, with the action of the Pass nearby.

YES it is Keith, "Shut Up Already!!!!!!" ;)

Heat is relative. Personally, I would rather be hot than cold. And it is always cooler by the beach. BTW I do talk from experience, I lived in the Frozen North for way too long and am not going back if I can help it. Now Central Florida is a different story, it is for the Gaitors and the nearly deads as they do not care anymore. Remember Florida is full of Newlyweds and nearly deads, well the nearly deads live in central Florida.... ;)

Northern Nevada is misleading. The thermometer says it is cold, but to me it is so dry that it is not even slightly uncomfortable. Also, it is generally not windy, unlike some other dry cold destinations. If I had ever wanted to leave WA, Reno would have been my destination.

Ha

But then: why you ever want to leave WA? ;) (I'd love to go back...)

There are a lot of big differences between FL & NV besides taxes and humidity to my way of thinking.

Heck - there are big differences between Daytona & Orlando for that matter......

Thank you for the quick responses- shoot I may just do both! I love Vegas life and activities! Florida does have my ailing mom which I visit often- I really don't like the extreme humidity. But my Mom would always say you get used to it. I'm not planning the move for another year or two but gearing up!

The better-heeled nearly-deads live on the coasts, though, where there are ocean breezes. I lived in South Florida for seven years - went to college there -
and can attest to the difference between coast and central, climate-wise. Back in the day, central Florida was considered unfit for human habitation, unless you had a farm/ranch. On the coasts, especially the Atlantic coast, there are actually whole months when you can turn off the A/C and open your windows!

Anyway, bite your tongue. Forum is full of people on the outer verges of nearly-dead-hood. :LOL:

well the nearly deads live in central Florida.... ;)

Florida: Hot. Humid. Rinse and repeat and combine for 6-8 months a year. Neighborhoods are an odd mix of mcmansions, subdivisions, trailer parks, and old homes. On the outskirts of Orlando, there's some nice land and properties. Like in Oviedo or around Sanford, or Winter Park.

Orlando will always keep you busy, if you don't mind the traffic, and constant construction.

Moving east towards Daytona, you get more affordable, but a lot less in the way of things to do, and with far fewer public amenities like sidewalks and road lights. Daytona's biggest draw is the Speedway, NASCAR, Biketoberfest, and Bike Week.

A little south of Daytona begins Brevard county. It's where dreams go to die. There are a few beaches, and NASA, and some good hole in the wall places to eat, but there's nothing worth living here for. Nothing. Don't let the people in Merritt Island fool you.

Along the west coast there's Tampa, Lago, Clearwater, Bradenton, Homosassa, with plenty to do and see around the whole west coast.

There's a lot to do in a lot of areas. Orlando can be nice in the right areas, but it's hotter and more humid since it's in the middle of the state. And with electricity at $0.12/kWh if you have to keep cool a large open high house that isn't insulated very well, you'll spend a fortune doing so.

A lot of grocery categories aren't taxed, and once a year there's a tax free back to school period where a lot of things wind up being tax free. Otherwise taxes hover around 7%.

A lot of people like Florida. Something like 50,000 people move here a year. But then just about as many move away. Crime rates are among some of the highest in the country, in pick just about any random larger city.

I really don't like the extreme humidity. But my Mom would always say you get used to it.

I would have to disagree with your mom. Six years here and I haven't gotten used to it yet. I know people who've lived here their whole lives who refuse to go out in the summer unless it's to somewhere with air conditioning. :nonono:

Back
Top Bottom