From the City of Angels, [MOD EDIT](can't retire)

4x_gold

Confused about dryer sheets
If only this, if only that; I'd be retired by now (68), -NO, long ago at 55 years of age!

It's incredible how ONE (or a couple three four) little incident(s)/mistake(s) of past can (and does) keep an individual(s) from early retirement....

Water under the bridge.....

Obviously financials is the main culprit. -But NOT for a 17 year-old 'kid.'

This 17 year-old founded a company 20 years ago and is now worth over 'a billion dollars!'

I think one of the biggest 'mistakes' is for going after 'hole-in-the-wall/mediocre' careers.

Anyway, IF a 'green behind the ears' 17 year-old accomplished such, I still have a couple three four days/weeks/years to go for a billion dollar entity.

Forex, fiberglass design & manufacturing will be my salvation, -Hey the colonel became a millionaire at 70!

Gotta get back to the drawing board....

I think one of the biggest 'mistakes' is for going after 'hole-in-the-wall/mediocre' careers.
LOTS more people reach a comfortable retirement, even a decade early, by hitting singles and taking that humdrum job than by swinging for the fences (either in their choice of career or their choice of investments).

The important part is to spend less than you earn, and to invest what you save in a way that is most likely to provide satisfactory returns.

Some of my biggest heroes are people who slog it out every day in a job that provides for their families in a responsible way, working their way up the ladder by taking more responsibility, getting more education/experience, looking for opportunities, and just being reliable and conscientious employees/businesspersons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome.

If you're looking for fans of forex or gold arbitraging, you're probably in the wrong place. Most folks here got to retirement, or are getting to retirement by way of saving as much as they can, and spending as little as they can. We've all made financial mistakes in the past... but there are no shortcuts.

LOTS more people reach a comfortable retirement, even a decade early, by hitting singles and taking that humdrum job than by swinging for the fences (either in their choice of career or their choice of investments).

Bingo! My career is about as mediocre as they come, but I see myself easily wrapping it up by the age of 50. Heck, Firecalc says I can do it now, at 44, but I'm starting to suffer from OMY syndrome, as opposed to a bit of hedonistic creep!

Forex, fiberglass design & manufacturing will be my salvation,

If you are looking for some kind of quick score, then forex will certainly NOT be it. It is possible to make a lot of money there, but the odds are most decidedly against that. You are most likely to lose a fair amount of what you put in, and if you leverage you are most likely to lose most of what you put in. Not a viable get FI quick plan.

Don't know much about fiberglass design and mfg, except that many people do seem to be in that field. You could be competitive and make a decent business there, but unless you have some unique and defensible advantage there's no reasonable possibility to become a billionaire in that field in only a few years. If you do have such an idea, then you might strongly consider licensing it for less than billions, but the payout would be immediate and you could get on with your FIRE.

The important part is to spend less than you earn, and to invest what you save in a way that is most likely to provide satisfactory returns.

Some of my biggest heroes are people who slog it out every day in a job that provides for their families in a responsible way, working their way up the ladder by taking more responsibility, getting more education/experience, looking for opportunities, and just being reliable and conscientious employees/businesspersons.

I find it hard to argue with SamClem, though if one's desire is to swing for the fences, I won't criticize it.

I think the best advice I got was from my dad who told me that while I may be employed by somebody else, I should always be working for myself. This belief always pointed me towards doing things like keeping my skills up and not getting sucked into energy draining, dead end until you're fired jobs. It also kept me aware that doing my best at work was also doing my best for my own self interest.

8145381fbeae37b607cb94935da128d5e4b57092f3d4c05f6cae8159562f7483.jpg

Oh wow.... I was wondering where the other 3 posts were besides his goodbye...

And I cannot even understand what he was trying to say... oh well, I guess he is gone to invest in a leveraged gold fund....

Hey, they banned the guy, can the thread end?

Just fyi, if you want this thread or any other thread to end, just go to the top of the thread and click on the Thread Tools dropdown, and then click on Ignore Thread. *poof*, Thread Be Gone.

I personally found this thread a hoot. Pass the popcorn. :D

Back
Top Bottom