Gave my notice today.

Looking4Ward

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'll be 54 this summer. FC says I'm 100% to cover my expenses for 30 years without including SS.

So I gave two months notice today.

Still seems like I'm dreaming and haven't woken up yet. Feel much better, but also a little insecure. Okay, a lot insecure. Hoping I get over the second part and keep feeling better.

Loved my job, am/was very good at it, but it required all of my time. And I mean ALL of my time. To the point it started affecting my health.

They understood my reasons. Offered an extended leave of absence. I declined. Offered reduced full time ~30 hours a week. I declined. Offered to restructure some things. I declined. Offered something along the lines of "corporate advisor" and I said I would consider it if it was less than 25 hours a month.

These people aren't just my employer, they are my friends. I wouldn't mind being plugged in, keeping my skills sharp, continuing to contribute to their success, but from a distance. A very far, comfortable, and flexible distance.

But I gave my notice today.

Congratulations. Change is hard.

Take a break for a couple months and then decide what you want (or don't want) to do.

Congratulations! Sounds like you were a very good employee and that they definitely want to keep you. I hope that you make the best decision for you.

Congratulations. Sounds like you are going out on top, with your reputation and friendships in tact. They won't go away. I retired 8 months ago and I regularly get together with my friends/former colleagues. They tell me about the latest developments at work and, while I enjoy the conversation, I don't for a minute wish I was back in it.

Congratulations on putting your quality of life as top priority. Your transition may be tough given your job has been such a major part of your life, but look at why you made the decision. Start now with the transition so you can taper down some and not have an abrupt end, that should help you.

Have fun and enjoy your new phase of life!

Congratulations. It sounds like you worked hard so that you could have control over your life. Good for you.

Loved my job
I wouldn't mind being plugged in, keeping my skills sharp

I know exactly what you mean. I ER'd over 12 years ago, and people are still asking me to handle "just this one project" as a consultant. I obliged them for a long time, but it got to be less and less enjoyable. Eventually I had to learn to just say no. Not fun, because they kind of resent it, knowing that I would have been the perfect one for the task. This was really the hardest part of ER for me.

My advice is to keep a careful watch on yourself if you decide to stay involved. Make sure you don't get trapped.

Welcome!
Best of luck!

Thanks to everyone for the congrats, well wishes, and most of all wisdom. They are much appreciated.

I actually slept pretty good last night.

When I told my 8 year old son yesterday what I had done and that my last day of work would be his last day of school before the summer starts, he got really excited and the first thing he asked was if we could build a computer together.

I knew then that I had made the right decision.

The next couple of months will be interesting indeed; I also serve on the board of directors of a national organization with two years left on my term; that in itself will allow me to continue to be "plugged in" at a very broad level and I'll have more time to devote to volunteer efforts with a wonderful group of people.

I'm also looking forward to participating with this group and these forums, which have been my go-to source of preparedness over the last several years.

Last edited:
When I told my 8 year old son yesterday what I had done and that my last day of work would be his last day of school before the summer starts, he got really excited and the first thing he asked was if we could build a computer together.

This is very cool. Congrats to you and all the best transitioning into the next phase.

It sounds like you are leaving on good terms and they really wanted to keep you. Good on you for not burning bridges, since there *could* come a time when you decide you may want to dip a toe or two back into the waters if the terms are acceptable.

You can have a tremendous influence on your son. You may want to document this going forward, say with pictures, blog posts, etc.

When my son and friends were 10, their "computer education" was really poor, given their smarts. I bought robot programming software, we'd meet once a week, and I tried to inspire them with possibilities. It was pretty wild with three boys, and my son was the worst (lol). But they all went on to be successful, technical engineers of one kind or another. My role was very small, of course. Their parents were all completely supportive of higher education, and the results are truly astounding.

Enjoy that. It sounds like a dream summer coming up.

Back
Top Bottom