I am curious

Gone traveling so soon? Should have stuck around a bit longer. I still have 2 cents I wanted to spend

Even if the OP is 'gone travelling", I'd say I spend some time here because I can continue to learn some useful things from other people, especially people who have already faced some of the challenges I'll encounter when I retire. Plus I'm sometimes able to help other people with questions. Learning things and helping others seems like a good way to spend a little time each day.

Hi I am a pentamillionaire and I am quite sure I can retire if I wish to.

What I would like to know is what motivates some people to sit behind computer and chat about FIRE 24/7 instead of going for a bike ride, or hike in the mountains, or spending time with their grand kids, or sharing glass of wine with friends.

Each time I check forum I see identical 100 plus people around.
a. I went for a long bike ride today already, took a shower, and I am now relaxing.

b. I don't have grandkids.

c. My relatives are alcoholics, so I don't drink wine so often.

d. This is social media. It's the way it works.

I spend all my time here so that it keeps me from spending all my time on Twitter and Facebook!

Last edited:
"...I visit this site quite a bit and the same people are always here..."

Sort of like "If this place keeps being so crowded, they'll go out of business"

I'm multitasking at this very moment. Watching golf on tv, viewing this forum and rubbing my dog's belly with my feet. I need a nap.

Maybe they were banned temporarily.
I do know someone that was banned and he's still traveling. I guess he said something someone didn't like.

Last edited:
................Even when a Troll crawls out from under his/her bridge, I learn something on this forum!
My grandpa used to say, "he is not worthless, he serves as a bad example".

Ok the guy is certainly a troll but he does raise a point. These type of forums can become pretty addictive. I wonder for those with 10-20,000 posts if they ever think it would be wise to try and cut back a bit? Agree it's easy to really get hooked and sometimes I feel a little guilty about it.

I try not to post unless I can offer a different point of view or feel strongly about something. Just wondering?

Fair question. And I'm up to ~ 17K posts, which I actually find hard to believe, that sounds crazy, even to me!

But that's 4.06 posts/day according to my stats. And Danmar is at a lower number, ~ 0.97 posts per day, so a 4x or 5x difference is significant, but it's not a staggering difference.

But offhand, 4 posts/day doesn't seem obsessive.

As others have pointed out, keeping a window open probably shows you as "on-line", but I have literally ~ 100 open tabs right now. I just keep stuff open as I research it, and come back later to follow up.

I learn a lot, I spend a lot of time on the computer doing other things, so it's easy to flip back/forth to er-org or other things.

That's about it. No real drama. If I stop learning, I'll move on, simple as that. Reminds me of the saying "If you are the smartest person in the room, you aren't learning anything". So I like hanging out where I can learn. And also have the opportunity to offer some life experience to the newcomers.

-ERD50

I'm multitasking at this very moment. Watching golf on tv, viewing this forum and rubbing my dog's belly with my feet. I need a nap.

Please don't over do it. Someone might mistake that for working.

How do you know this guy is troll with just one post, asking a question? Granted that it was condescending If he is really a multimillion and knows it all, I'd be interested in his responses to others.

The number of viewers seems to be pretty meaningless for a number of reasons and there are many reasons individuals participate in the forum.

--At times I spend a lot of time (perhaps too much) going through posts but I also sometimes leave RE tab open when I go do something else, which will show I'm still logged in.

--I don't know how many members belong to the site or how many that lurk before joining, so the actual people may vary or be a small percentage of the total posters

--I'm no where near being a decamillionairre (unless I change to certain currencies--other than the dollar). So I find it interesting to read other people's experiences in managing in similar and different financial situations.

--I enjoy offering information that may be helpful or encouraging others to retire sooner where possible as I have no regrets and always planned to retire early, it was just sooner than expected which I'm grateful for the opportunity.

--I retired 4-5 years earlier than planned so I'm still trying to figure some things out specific to my situation. There are many things I never really thought and it is interesting to get different perspectives from those who have been retired for longer periods. There is always things to learn.

I for one make no excuses for whatever time I spend reading posts on this Site. I don't post often, but I log quite a lot of time reading posts and learning from others. I find it interesting and educational, sometimes inspirational. A wealth of experience and knowledge on this Site.

Trolling_drawing.jpg

As others have pointed out, keeping a window open probably shows you as "on-line", but I have literally ~ 100 open tabs right now. I just keep stuff open as I research it, and come back later to follow up.

-ERD50

100 open tabs!!! :eek:

100 open tabs!!! :eek:

Sure. I guess it's like my comment in one of those de-cluttering/stuff threads. I really like moving from one hobby/activity to another, so I have a fair amount of 'stuff' out and about at any one time. And out-of-sight is out-of-mind, so a lot of it stays out where I see it, and remember to do something with it when I want.

Same with my browsing - I jump from interest to interest over the course of hours/days/weeks, and leave the tabs open so everything is there when I get back to it. I go weeks w/o shutting down the computer, though I occasionally need to close my browser (it is set to restore all the open tabs) to free up memory. 12 GB sometimes gets strained with that many tabs opening and closing over time.

So maybe a half dozen threads from this forum, and maybe that many articles linked to those threads. Same with a music forum, a science forum, maybe a beer brewing forum. I found a patent from a relative of DW, I want to show her that, so I just leave it open. We are meeting with friends for dinner this w/e, so a bunch open on different restaurants. Maybe a few tabs for each home project that I have WIP, or am planning, A few financial tabs, news tabs - and the news means I'm clicking links to look up sources. A few youtube videos that I plan to watch sometime.

Plus, I'm programming some little computer modules (ESP8266's)in MicroPython. That project involves file writes, network connections and sockets, and updating time through the NTP pool servers. There are a lot of subjects that I am not very familiar with, so a few tabs open for each of those, plus general programming references, as I'm not fluent in Python-ese. If I close as I go, I'll never remember how I got there.

It adds up fast.

I guess my response to anyone shocked at 100 tabs open, is "What? You don't have 100 tabs open?!". :cool:

Does that make ERD50 a centatabularian?

:LOL: Everybody's gotta have a goal! :) Maybe I should get a plaque made?

PS - and now I've some tabs open trying to find out what "Geld ist Freiheit" means :)

My German is very limited, this was of no help - but another tab with Google Translate got it for me. And I agree (or at least it helps!).

"

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom