Look What I Found!

LIPhotoMan said:
Two weeks before I was retired, I sold my home & moved to a rental only a few minutes from my office. SOld the home due to a divorce. All 3 in same month. Quite a month!
Now trying to determine what to do with my life now that I am finally grown up. Living in a NYC suburb doesn't make sense anymore except for my "crowd" and a special friendship. But where to go? Don't ski - don't like snow. And NO GOLF, PLEASE! (I was almost disbarred for being a lawyer who did not play golf)
Hope to get some good ideas here.

Congrats on your ER! I'm also recently retired and having the time of my life. Been on the road running from the snow, just crossed an ancient sea bed up in the mountains between Taos and Sante Fe, NM following the setting sun to further points west for the winter.

FIRE'd up and a PT wannabe, I can now come and go as I please...decided to stay a while in Albequerque (nice place) staying at an extended stay Studio 6 (they allow the dog!)...going up on a return trip up the Sandia Peak tram tonite (world's longest) up to the "High Finance" restaurant (with great views and food).

Heading out to AZ to visit family and check out the resort living lifestyle for a while (No Golf here either...sold the clubs and everything else...tired of chasing the little ball around and getting it in the hole :D!) or NOT!

Check out the Paradise in Panama thread for some further inspiration. Planning an exploratory visit to check it out probably in Jan/Feb. Also, enjoyed the culture and people in Thailand with the "Mai Pen Rai" lifestyle in the "Land of Smiles" (friend of mine lived there for about 8 years). Also...The (PT'rs) Terhorst's and Alkerdi's have been an inspiration to me. (Cashing in on the American Dream: How to Retire at 35).

"If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would perhaps have more actual troubles, but I'd have fewer imaginary ones. You see, I'm one of those people who lived sensibly and sanely, hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I've had my moments, and if I could do it over again, I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else...just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead of each day. If I had my life to live over, I would go to more dances, I would ride more merry-go-rounds. I would pick more daisies."                                        -Nadine Stair (age 85 at the time she wrote it)

Some thoughts along the way...

"Life is a risky business...there's too much at stake to play it safe!"

acg said:
Congrats on your ER! I'm also recently retired and having the time of my life. Been on the road running from the snow, just crossed an ancient sea bed up in the mountains between Taos and Sante Fe, NM following the setting sun to further points west for the winter.

FIRE'd up and a PT wannabe, I can now come and go as I please...decided to stay a while in Albequerque (nice place) staying at an extended stay Studio 6 (they allow the dog!)...going up on a return trip up the Sandia Peak tram tonite (world's longest) up to the "High Finance" restaurant (with great views and food).

Heading out to AZ to visit family and check out the resort living lifestyle for a while (No Golf here either...sold the clubs and everything else...tired of chasing the little ball around and getting it in the hole :D!) or NOT!

ACG, how are you liking NM? A place you could stay for a while? What's the weather like this time of year?

Welcome a-board LIPhotoMan. Your thread has gone from "what to do" to "what to drink"! Par for the course. Oh well one might solve the problem of the other.

Hey C-T ever tried Barefoot wines? Availabe in many varieties. We like the cab. Best price I found in the south was $9.99 for 1.5L bottle and in a small shoppe in NY 3 bottles for $25 :eek:

SteveR said:
White Zin. is what my DIL calls KoolAid and it her favorite too.  Unlike water, it does contain alcohol and that is an important component when one wishes to adjust ones attitude after a long day at the salt mine.  If it happen to be in a grape juice mixture then so be it.

Exactly how I see it. What is vodka for anyway, other than rapid attitude adjustment? And with vodka, if you aren't into shooters, you have to buy the juice separately. These wines are kind of like pre-mixed cocktails.

Only God knows what I wouldn't give to be a teenager again!  :)

Ha

BUM said:
Welcome a-board LIPhotoMan. Your thread has gone from "what to do" to "what to drink"!  Par for the course. Oh well one might solve the problem of the other. 

Hey C-T ever tried Barefoot wines? Availabe in many varieties. We like the cab. Best price I found in the south was  $9.99 for 1.5L bottle and in a small shoppe in NY 3 bottles for $25  :eek:

WHAT TO DRINK works fine for me!
When I lived in a house I used to make my own wine. Down to my last 6 bottles of Pinot Noir - been aging for about 5 years, but has moved a few times. Last time I opened a bottle was about a year ago - it was really good. Hopefully, not vinegar now.

White Zin? Is that really wine?

GImme my vodka any day (An excuse to eat olives).

Cut-Throat said:
Bum,

Never heard of barefoot wines!

As far as White Zin - I heard it is the perfect wine to go with Hostess Twinkees! :D

I don't much care for Twinkees either. But Dark Chocolate goes great with a Big Bold Cabernet!

Its a real deal. If you like Yellowtail (as we do), you'll enjoy Barefoot. Its distributed nationwide and also available at barefootwine.com

Its around your town...somewhere.

brewer12345 said:
ACG, how are you liking NM?  A place you could stay for a while?  What's the weather like this time of year?

NM is great...ALBQ is excellent climate (35 low/65 high avg for last week) Sunny, clear skies, gorgeous mountains...home prices more reasonable than AZ or CA. Like the pueblo style homes, too...a change from the cold Midwestern style of home I am use to. Planning on coming back here! (currently at an extended stay Studio 6 which is decent @ $200/wk).

Was checking out a resort community in Tucson area last year, 1500 sq ft new construction started at $215k...same house this year climbed to $350k in one year! (going on the preferred guest program $99 for 4 day/3 nt stay in furnished house (next week) with golf and clubhouse amenities including hosted dinner). Not a bad deal.

Good NM wines, too! Checking out a local vineyard this afternoon...

acg said:
Was checking out a resort community in Tucson area last year, 1500 sq ft new construction started at $215k...same house this year climbed to $350k in one year! (going on the preferred guest program $99 for 4 day/3 nt stay in furnished house (next week) with golf and clubhouse amenities including hosted dinner). Not a bad deal.

Good NM wines, too! Checking out a local vineyard this afternoon...

Can you give me a bit more info about that resort?
Thanks.

Murphy-Goode Cabernet is excellent, but usually north of $20
We've been hitting the Smoking Loon pretty hard at ~$6 a bottle. Recently my wife came home with a case of "Menage A Trois" California Red table wine. It's a blend of Cab, Zin and Merlot grapes. I, of course, immediately exclaimed, "ZutAlors! A blend??". She insisted it was great, had it at a work party, and by golly, soon I was proclaiming, "Sacre Bleu! My ideas of wine have been turned upside down!"

http://www.wine-club-central.com/detail.aspx?ID=6106

Back
Top Bottom