Look What I Found!

LIPhotoMan

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello all!
I was browsing around & found this site - it looks like it will be both fun & informative. And I happen to like the Bulletin Board setup itself. I help with an art Board, and this software seems much better.

Anyway - about me:
Involuntarily retired at 58 - Led the Law Dept of a mid-sized corporation.
Two weeks before I was retired, I sold my home & moved to a rental only a few minutes from my office. SOld the home due to a divorce. All 3 in same month. Quite a month!
Now trying to determine what to do with my life now that I am finally grown up. Living in a NYC suburb doesn't make sense anymore except for my "crowd" and a special friendship. But where to go? Don't ski - don't like snow. And NO GOLF, PLEASE! (I was almost disbarred for being a lawyer who did not play golf)
Hope to get some good ideas here.

Have a Co pension that will be enough to live most places outside of NYC, or other ridiculously expensive places - but I have to hope that the fund stays solvent. Otherwise, UH OH. So need to be sure my investments will be enough, making the pension "gravy."

That's it for now - looking forward to participating here.

Welcome. I am loaded with stuff to do, every day. A lot of it is just screwing around, but still. BTW, re. "Quite a month!".........I feel your
pain man. A lot of people worry about what they will do, but the old
question "How did I ever find time to work?" is really true in my
case.

JG

What do I like?
Well, as the name implies, photography. Have recently taken a photoshop course, and looking to take more.
Also a travel fan, and a cruise addict.
And walking, walking & walking.
And I must not forget my 2 favorites: Baseball & Wine.

you want a life time hobby, I got just the thing. Its a little spendy to get started, but its a great hobby you'll never bore from. Make friends, have fun, and learn. check it out
www.rcgroups.com
recommended that you learn from experienced hobbiests

No snow, baseball, photography, wine, hiking and cruising. Not a bad combination at all

I have a business partner who recently went through his 3rd divorce and within a month had/has another serious girlfriend. For whatever its worth I say enjoy being truly single for a while and enjoy-pursue your hobbies. And if LI stands for Long Island, escape immediately (just kidding,....mostly)::)

aimhigh said:
you want a life time hobby, I got just the thing. Its a little spendy to get started, but its a great hobby you'll never bore from. Make friends, have fun, and learn. check it out
www.rcgroups.com
recommended that you learn from experienced hobbiests

We have friends that are really into the RC planes, boats, etc. who are trying to get Greg to by a RC boat of some type. At least you are less likely to crash the boat, than a plane or heliocopter.

Martha said:
We have friends that are really into the RC planes, boats, etc. who are trying to get Greg to by a RC boat of some type. At least you are less likely to crash the boat, than a plane or heliocopter.
But they can sink :D
Especially when other boats are shooting at yours: http://www.mwci.org/

sailor,
who is building a third R/C warship in his spare time

sailor said:
But they can sink :D
Especially when other boats are shooting at yours: http://www.mwci.org/

sailor,
who is building a third R/C warship in his spare time

Now that has possibilities. Our friends have a rescue/firefighting boat. We could blast it out of the water. What fun! :)

TargaDave said:
No snow, baseball, photography, wine, hiking and cruising. Not a bad combination at all

I have a business partner who recently went through his 3rd divorce and within a month had/has another serious girlfriend. For whatever its worth I say enjoy being truly single for a while and enjoy-pursue your hobbies. And if LI stands for Long Island, escape immediately (just kidding,....mostly)::)

I am in a similar position to your friend - but not quite That soon!

And LI is LawnGuyLind - and you are NOT kidding - I should escape immediately.

cut throat $5 for Yellow Tail is a good deal, I am a fan of Australian Shiraz, I don't drink many US Wines, but Chileans are coming on strong.

Merlot is like drinking velvet, I don't buy them.

I've also found Yellowtail to be an unbeatable value (worth the extra few bucks over 2 buck "up"Chuck). I even watched wine guru Robert Parker lamenting how good it was to Charley Rose on PBS. He disliked how the Aussie's had taken the "art" out of the process and could sell such a good wine at that price in that quantity!

Agree about the Australian Shiraz'.
On Thanksgiving we had an Australian Chardonnay, and I found it surprisingly good - Lindemann's.
And yes, Chilean wines are a good value, too.

Certainly better than our local long island stuff.

Cut-Throat said:
As wine is one of your interests. I am always on the 'hunt' for the best bargain in wine. I like the big reds. So far Yellowtail Cab, merlot, Shiraz on sale at about $5 a bottle is my 'best value'.
Howard said:
cut throat $5 for Yellow Tail is a good deal, I am a fan of Australian Shiraz, I don't drink many US Wines, but Chileans are coming on strong.
anonimitycity said:
I've also found Yellowtail to be an unbeatable value (worth the extra few bucks over 2 buck "up"Chuck). I even watched wine guru Robert Parker lamenting how good it was to Charley Rose on PBS. He disliked how the Aussie's had taken the "art" out of the process and could sell such a good wine at that price in that quantity!
LIPhotoMan said:
Agree about the Australian Shiraz'.
On Thanksgiving we had an Australian Chardonnay, and I found it surprisingly good - Lindemann's.
And yes, Chilean wines are a good value, too.

Certainly better than our local long island stuff.
Quite an endorsement , I'll have to give Yellowtail a try.
I've gotten hooked on Round Hill Cab 2002 (St. Helena) for everyday table wine. 1.5 goes for around $11. If you have a chance see how it measures up. :cool:

Cut-Throat said:
I have the Round Hill - Good but the Yellowtail Cab is much better IMHO.
...much better. Gee, couldn't you have gone a little easier on my sense of taste self-esteem, said something like, oh, yeah that's really good , you certainly have good taste, but I find the Yellowtail more to my liking... ... :D :D

DanTien said:
...much better. Gee, couldn't you have gone a little easier on my sense of taste self-esteem, said something like, oh, yeah that's really good , you certainly have good taste, but I find the Yellowtail more to my liking...  ... :D :D

That's what I meant to say, you took the word's right out of my mouth! :)

Speaking of wine...
DW is a White Zin. drinker. I like it but prefer a nice Merlot (what is velvet to you is nectar to me ;))

We like the Fetzer Valley Oak and get several cases when on sale but that is really rare. We are not fond of Beringer or some of the other average price ones. We like it a lot so value is important. :D

Any suggestions on a mid-priced White Zin.?

SteveR said:
Any suggestions on a mid-priced White Zin.?

I would save some money and buy water or 100% juice instead. I consider white zin more of a bad fruit juice than a wine.

Here's another cheer for Yellowtail!!

retire@40 said:
I would save some money and buy water or 100% juice instead.  I consider white zin more of a bad fruit juice than a wine.

I guess you think Miller Lite is real beer too.

SteveR said:
I guess you think Miller Lite is real beer too.

I would pick plain water over both white zin or any of the lite beers.

I'm more of a wine drinker than a beer drinker, but I tried some Dogfish (brown ale?) at a friend's house a few months ago, and I thought it was one of the best beers I have ever had.  I plan on making my own beer next spring for the first time after many years of making wine.

By the way, I like your quote from Ben Franklin.  Not to be anal, but the actual quote is "living proof." I don't have many heros, but good ol' Ben is one of the people in history I really admire, especially because he retired early at age 42 to pursue his dreams of inventing and creating.

retire@40 said:

I'm more of a wine drinker than a beer drinker, but I tried some Dogfish (brown ale?) at a friend's house a few months ago, and I thought it was one of the best beers I have ever had.  I plan on making my own beer next spring for the first time after many years of making wine.

By the way, I like your quote from Ben Franklin.  Not to be anal, but the actual quote is "living proof."  I don't have many heros, but good ol' Ben is one of the people in history I really admire, especially because he retired early at age 42 to pursue his dreams of inventing and creating.

I am happy to see you have an appreciation for real beer. Being a brewer I have become a beer snob and only stock the "horse piss" for my family and friends who have yet to see the light.

As for the "correct" wording of Franklins quote, I have seen it written at least three different ways and I picked the one that was the shortest. I found another one that is more appropirate to this board and will be using that one for a while.

White Zin. is what my DIL calls KoolAid and it her favorite too. Unlike water, it does contain alcohol and that is an important component when one wishes to adjust ones attitude after a long day at the salt mine. If it happen to be in a grape juice mixture then so be it. I am just looking for a good price for one that does not taste like spoiled peaches and grapes.

retire@40 said:

Since you already make wine, the whole idea of sanitation is already well-impressed on you. Extract or all-grain?

Oh, and since we are into correcting each other. its "Dogfish Head", and yes, they make excellent beer.

Back
Top Bottom