No more lurking around

Firezone

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi my name is Deanna and after years of lurking around on this site and at the age of 58 , I’ve decided to cash in my chips and call it a day . My husband after 14 weeks working from home during covid decided after 34 years the numbers are good enough .i told him to go !
He gets pension and three more years of healthcare . I have 401k and other investments plus two homes . We can do this by down sizing to our quaint bungalow at the beach and take on new adventures . Yes I know were are young , yes I know we will have to pay for health care eventually . But this year really is one for we all would rather forget . I had a HA , a stent put in pre covid and these last few months sealed it up for us . We are both a little scared, but excited at life’s new possibilities . We both have side hustles, we can enjoy on our terms .
The plan is still evolving . My only regret? Why did we not do it sooner .
How many of you in these covid times expedited your plans .? Just curious

Hi my name is Deanna and after years of lurking around on this site and at the age of 58 , I’ve decided to cash in my chips and call it a day . My husband after 14 weeks working from home during covid decided after 34 years the numbers are good enough .i told him to go !
He gets pension and three more years of healthcare . I have 401k and other investments plus two homes . We can do this by down sizing to our quaint bungalow at the beach and take on new adventures . Yes I know were are young , yes I know we will have to pay for health care eventually . But this year really is one for we all would rather forget . I had a HA , a stent put in pre covid and these last few months sealed it up for us . We are both a little scared, but excited at life’s new possibilities . We both have side hustles, we can enjoy on our terms .
Welcome to the forum, Firezone! Or, to de-lurking since I guess you have been around for a while. I am already retired, thank goodness, and have been since 2009. Retiring right now must be so stressful with all that's going on in the world. But you are right; we don't live forever, and the earlier we retire the more years of retirement we get to enjoy. I wouldn't trade a day of my retirement for anything. Hope your plan falls into place ASAP! That quaint bungalow at the beach sounds like a perfect place to get away and wind down after retirement.

Actually, working predominantly from home has made toiling for megacorps more bearable. I’ll likely keep at it longer due to the pandemic. It doesn’t change my overall plan of FIRE in 2030, just extending the time I transition to semi-FIRE.

COVID derailed my plans. Can't travel, which was my primary purpose for RE, so I'm still at w$rk, but from home. It's a bit less stressful, and with no commute, saves me some time. But I miss the bike ride into and back from the office. Come January, unless the epidemic has spiraled out of 'control' (or even if it has), I'm planning to call it quits, as I really need to get into better shape, and go diving!

I am excited to hear your plan. Partly because we are in similar situation: currently working from home due to Covid19, could potentially FIREd, have a place to move to etc...

I am excited to hear your plan. Partly because we are in similar situation: currently working from home due to Covid19, could potentially FIREd, have a place to move to etc...

It’s nice to have some options . I did work from home for a bit , but then went back in to help my team , as we were essential . We had been putting things in place for a while . I think covid provided the biggest life reset button ever . We did not want to waste an opportunity to change our quality of life . Even if the world around us doesn’t make sense . At least we have control over this decision ! Glad your plan is coming together .

Congratulations!

Covid absolute game changer! Congrats on pulling the plug! and coming out of lurking!

I am on permanent layoff so am looking at what we can do to do the same!

Fingers crossed, good luck and God Bless!

See you around ( see my new HI I am post )

Back
Top Bottom