Repay SS Overpayment

OneMarcilV

Recycles dryer sheets
If I received a overpayment from Social Security how do I pay back what is owed to Social Security.

My first Social Security monies will be in my bank account on December 1st. Never reduced my working hours in November. So I am sure I will receive more than I should.

Never fear. If SS thinks they have overpaid you, they have no problems with going right back into your account and taking it back.

Mean from my bank account? That is why i will not spend any of the monies.

The reason I asked is because I read this from 2 years ago. One receives a notice of the overpayment. Also after that ''You can tell SSA that you want to repay it in small amounts each month that you can afford. SSA can withhold all of your Social Security benefits to repay the overpayment. However, unless there is fraud involved, they will usually let you pay it back in smaller amounts. You will have to pay back at least $10.00 a month. SSA tries to get the money back within 3 years. If you want to ask SSA to withhold smaller amounts, you have to fill out the same form you would fill out for requesting waiver.''

Yea, don't worry. SS claimed that had overpaid my mom in 1971 and they took it out of my Federal income tax refund in 2014.

Call them and set up a payment plan. People do this for income tax they can't afford to pay.

That is wht I could do. But if this s a small amount I will pay all at once. No need to spend my of the monies now anyway.

Yea, don't worry. SS claimed that had overpaid my mom in 1971 and they took it out of my Federal income tax refund in 2014.

I'm surprised that is legal... you and your mom are separate entities.

I assume that you were her heir, but what if you were estranged and never received any money from her?

I assume that you were her heir, but what if you were estranged and never received any money from her?

I don't know travelover's specific situation, but usually this happens when a widow and minor child received benefits from the deceased spouse's/parent's account. If SSA later determines that the then minor child's benefit was overpaid, they come after the now adult child, even though the benefit was actually paid to the surviving parent and the child never had control over the funds. There was a lot of controversy over this a few years ago but I never heard how the court cases were resolved.

I was a minor at the time and getting benefits because my dad was over 65 when he died. The dispute was over the last few payments after she died, which were cashed by a brother.

Long story short, I got the money back. :dance:

I was a minor at the time and getting benefits because my dad was over 65 when he died. The dispute was over the last few payments after she died, which were cashed by a brother.

Long story short, I got the money back.
From your brother? Or from the government?

After my Dad's death he received a couple of SS payments. I went into a local SS office to return the excess via a check. Unfortunately, another part of SS later decided to debit Dad's checking account - which was in addition to my check payment. It took me about 6 months and a claim form to get the matter back to a $0 balance via a SS refund.

-gauss

Long story short, I got the money back. :dance:

This is exactly what happened to me but a few years after they confiscated my refund they called and said a court had ruled that it was ILLEGAL for them to collect the alleged overpayment in this fashion so they sent me the money. It was not an overpayment but I couldn’t prove it and all my appeals went nowhere. They asked how I wanted to repay so I explained and asked them to waive it and they said OK.

Back
Top Bottom