Retired (secretly) and tired of assumptions

I did that for a while as well - until some snotty car salesman said "Took you long enough!" That was my last repositioning gig.

I would have make some response about "taking the scenic route" or "having explosive diarrhea enroute and almost making it". Knowing I could quit/get fired tomorrow and it would have minimal impact on me makes things a lot more fun :) although my employer loves me because I take the actual task seriously.

It's probably not so bad today, with cars flying off the lots, but think how tedious that salesman's job normally is.

And here you were, smiling "Here I am! Here's the car!" and tossing the keys in the air, etc. He probably couldn't stand the contrast. :LOL:

I did that for a while as well - until some snotty car salesman said "Took you long enough!" That was my last repositioning gig.

To me the age of friends matters little if interests and ability (sometimes impacted by age but my 60 something friend beat me by 10 minutes in my last Half Marathon...) are compatible. I'm being active with activities I enjoy.. some are after work hours and skew younger, others skew older.

As far as finances, I hint that I'm not made of money but made frugal choices and value my time more than money. I've not sensed any jealousy or assumptions from my friends. They spend way more than me.... but then, they work! :LOL: Overall most people react positively and maybe a little curious when they find out I don't work anymore to support myself.

Now to find a compatible partner..... that's a nut I've yet to crack.

My main interest is finding people in their 40s who are retired with similar financial values (I am not very materialistic) and are well traveled/educated about different cultures/lifestyles.

You might try joining an environmental group. People in those tend to be low consumption types interested in sustainable living. In our area it is easy to find people who are well traveled and different cultures, but not so much the frugal types since it is a high cost of living area.

The people that got upset over our retirement were pretty well described in the book The Millionaire Next Door as income but not balance sheet affluent. I think the nosy, "big hat no cattle" people who asked a lot of questions about our ER were hoping to hear that we won the lottery or got an inheritance, not that we simply spent less and were able to save more than they did.

Last edited:
I retired at 49 and feel similar to OP and honestly it’s worse around my siblings who are 10-12 older than me and still grinding away with little saved.

Hang in there and focus on YOU and your health as that’s all that matters!

I retired at 49 and feel similar to OP and honestly it’s worse around my siblings who are 10-12 older than me and still grinding away with little saved.

Hang in there and focus on YOU and your health as that’s all that matters!

Yeah, my big Sis always envied my scientific-path salary but she REALLY envied my ability to ER. She absolutely hated her j*b at the end but had to stay almost to the bitter end to make it w*rk for her. She has finally accomplished FIRE. Speaking of which, she owed me $5K (a short-term loan) and by coincidence I received her check today. Life is good - we eat this week!. YMMV

I retired at age 48 and (I think) I look a bit younger than my age. If someone asks what I do, and I say I'm retired, the usual reaction is "you're too young to be retired". I say that I was lucky to get a good job right out of college, I never married and I have no kids, so no college educations to pay for and it was easy to save up. That explanation is usually enough and it's never really been a problem for me.

Side gig

Try find a job that you like that you aren't concerned (at all) with the money. I occasionally swap drive for a local VW dealer. That means they texted me yesterday asking if I wanted to drive tomorrow. I said sure, so I'll make a seven hour round trip swapping a couple new VWs by myself listening to podcasts, calling family, and having a pleasant lunch at a "faraway place" enroute. I would do this job for free! And yet they pay me (wait for it) minimum wage.

I started walking dogs on Rover for fun, and have had to stop taking on new clients. I love dogs, and I would walk dogs, and get my steps in for free, but I get paid $32/hour after Rover fees. It makes for some nice fun money. I have a friend who does the swap car gig for Enterprise, and he is always posting about having lunch at a new restaurant - he loves it.

I know it is just one reference, but I play Pickleball 6x weekly and the mix of players are all ages. The non retired folks have flexible/alternate schedules. You will need to search out these types. They are out there.

+1 (although not 6 days/week - knees couldn’t take it :( )

I have met older folks plus several folks in their forties who have flexible/gig work schedules. I now consider several of them friends.

Try meetup.com pick a few things and see if you make some connections....

I retired slightly early so when people ask what I do, I just say "I hit my number! I don't have to work anymore!" A lot of them think I hit the lottery. I have to laugh. "No.... my passive income covers my expenses. That's my number."

The ones I enjoy continue the conversation about "Your Money or Your Life," "Mr. Money Moustache" and others... and have made a new friend!

PS -- that rover gig sounds like fun, gonna' go check it out!

I started walking dogs on Rover for fun, and have had to stop taking on new clients. I love dogs, and I would walk dogs, and get my steps in for free, but I get paid $32/hour after Rover fees. It makes for some nice fun money.

That sounds like a great way to get paid to exercise.

Someone on MMM forum did a dating site for FIRE'd people.
firedating.me
Fire Dating
The first ever dating website for people into Financial Independence. Free & privacy friendly. Find your mustachian! Stats (as of 47 minutes ago) Key metrics ... By FIRE type: "lean": 718 ; regular: 3310 "fat": 747

How have you dealt with being open about early retirement, and dealing with people's assumptions? Or deciding when/who to disclose it to?

To get back to your original question, I tell anyone where it seems pertinent. I'm super proud of my accomplishment, but want to stay far away from bragging. I've honed the language to this:

"I've worked since I was 14 and have ALWAYS spent waay less than I've made."
(and if they seem at all interested)
"I found if I cut aggressively on the spending that doesn't bring me maximum joy, I can spend lavishly on the things that do. And most things don't bring us maximum joy."

The first line I emphasize spending, not saving. We all can control our spending, but saving feels uncontrollable to some. And clearly high income wasn't the reason if I was doing it even at minimum wage! The second part helps them understand I'm not living like a pauper, but I'm not wasting money either.

And if in casual conversation anyone asks "roughly how much" I've saved I answer with "about a million dollars, give or take a million". It takes them a minute to understand that math of that and then they laugh.

I got to the point I told people I was between jobs.

Worked for me…

tell 'em you're "long term unemployed" just to see how they then treat you.

that's what I've done since I left the full-time corporate world to care for a very sick parent with what turned out to be a long, but terminal illness in my early 30s.

Tell 'em you're out of a j*b and desperate. Then ask them for money! That will get them off your back.:LOL:

Q: What do you do?
A: I manage the families money.

Said a retired restaurateur/ hog farm heiress when I asked at their 45th birthday.

Wonderful! Was my response. I am open-minded enough to know not everyone is cut from the same cloth though, and that's what makes each of us so rare!

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the varied responses.

To clarify, I've always had friends that are older than me and it's because I like them (the ones I know tend to be more relaxed and I usually have more in common with them). I've also always had an "alternative" schedule during my entire career, and so know many people within that lifestyle already. My main interest is finding people in their 40s who are retired with similar financial values (I am not very materialistic) and are well traveled/educated about different cultures/lifestyles.

I appreciate the feedback about how you've all responded to others when asked about what you do. I now say I work p/t. Since I'm athletic, I fell into personal training after retiring from corporate. People move on faster with that than if I say I'm retired. I just don't wanna talk about stuff I don't wanna talk about.

My transition from work to retirement was minimal. By the time I was in my mid-30s, I was already only consulting 25 hours/week. In my 40s, I cut down to 10 hours/wk. After six months of doing nothing, I started personal training 10 hours/week, but now it's down to 0-5 hours/week since I pick and choose when/who I want to work with.

So everything has been relatively smooth. I've been seeing headlines lately of a trend in the younger generation in America, who'd rather live on less, save less for the future=work less, and enjoy life more in the here and now. I relate to that.

Glad to see someone who took a similar glide path toward ER as I did. After 16 years of working FT, I reduced my weekly hours worked from 37.5 to 20 in 2001, when I was 38, some of that working from home until they ended that nice arrangement after 2 years. Six years later (in 2007), I reduced my weekly hours worked to 12, as I knew I would probably ER by the end of 2008. In 2008, I did ER, at 45.

For me, the biggest changes to my everyday life came not when I ERed, but when I first switched to working PT in 2001. I added some volunteer work and resurrected a hobby I hadn't done since the late 1980s. When I ERed, I was able to expand on those two activities, something I liked being able to do, but it wasn't nearly as big as being able to do them in 2001.

As for what I said to people when I ERed, I told them simply that I retired. My short answer, if they persisted, was "No kids, no debts." Sometimes, I'd throw in the large, undisclosed amount of money I got when I cashed out my company stock. The people in my 2 expanded activities were just glad I could keep being with them. One of them included retired people but they were all in their late 60s, 70s, and beyond.

Unlike you, I am still pretty much a loner, so I don't seek out other early retirees. My best friend is like me, in his late 50s and with a portfolio about as big as mine (nearly $2M). I have been trying to get him to retire, but he isn't mentally suited for it yet ("What would I do all day?") My ladyfriend is my age but still works, as she hasn't nearly enough money to retire (paycheck-to-paycheck).

I guess we're old but we hang out with younger folks sometimes. Really, your money is working for you rather than you working for money. My question is who are your real friends? Who do you feel comfortable around? Everyone talks about money at some point so focus on your frugality. We do. I'm always talking about how I got a good deal on something. I just don't talk about our personal NW. Who cares?

To get back to your original question, I tell anyone where it seems pertinent. I'm super proud of my accomplishment, but want to stay far away from bragging. I've honed the language to this:

"I've worked since I was 14 and have ALWAYS spent waay less than I've made."

Same! I started working right around the same age. I am a first generation American. My mother arrived as a child refugee. My other parent dropped out of school in the 4th grade (9yo) to start working after his father died. Growing up it was considered a privilege that I was a teenager before I started giving more than taking when it came to household finances.

Although my father eventually came out of retirement and had a second career, at age of 30 he had built his own house, built a home for his mother, built a duplex for rental income, earned his HS equivalency, and was retired with $500k in the bank. Growing up he always told me:

"It's not how much you have, but how little you need."

I can sympathize with the OP. I have figured out it just easier to out right lie to those I may never interact with again. Thankfully, that is few and far between. With so many people working from home these days, it's easy to have a "flexible schedule." For those that I share my ER status with, if they press...I tell them that I am involved in a few ventures, and that I am not at liberty to discuss. ;)

There are some good ideas posted here. After I found a couple places to volunteer, and a new hobby, I just start talking about my hobbies and volunteer activities when the "what do you do?" question comes up. Works so far... And I retired under 50 too. It avoids the assumptions people make about wealth, and your enthusiasm for what you like will distract them from their nosey curiosity...

Honestly I went back to work solely because being a frugally retired man just wasn't working in achieving my romantic life goals.

I'm still single though, so maybe it was all pointless, lol. At least the next time I try to "retire", I'll have a bigger nest egg to work with.

Back
Top Bottom