Retired this week at 58

Congratulations !!!

I can imagine how it feels like.
Can you share your learnings ?

In no particular order:

LBYM, invested the rest. Every raise/bonus went to investments. Still living in the fist house I ever bought. Read Andrew Tobias back in the day. Decided not to end up like my parents. Didn't care if my in-laws thought I was broke. Owned most cars for 10+ years. Married for 35 years. Still trying to convince her we have enough to get by. Enjoy life because it will be over soon enough.

Congrats - My first response to any post (been lurking for years).

I'm in a similar situation... would like to retire but for now, I'm practicing how to generate income to replace my salary.

Curious to know how do you plan to invest the $1M cash to generate an income stream? Or are you just going to sit in cash and draw it down to cover your expenses?

The 1M is mostly invested in an after tax account, only some of it is in cash.

Normally I would have it all invested, but I backed out of spending cash on a large transaction when Covid-19 hit. I decided not to invest it again because I thought the market wold probably stay low for a long time. Who knew it would bounce back so quickly. It is enough to live on for a few years so I'll probably just use it as needed until it runs out.

Because I have enough cash on hand, I'll have to think about doing a Roth conversion next year when I won't have any income.

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me to this forum.

I've never had such a positive reaction on a forum before. Everyone has been so friendly. There is so much bad news these days, it is nice to see something so positive.

I hope this puts a smile on your face as big as the smile on mine! :greetings10:

Welcome to retirement, come on in! The water is fine. Your gonna love it!

I fired 8 years ago at 52 with similar numbers. Market run up these past 8 years has been impressive so NW has grown in that time and as not having a steady paycheck bothered me (even if my numbers theoretically were fine) I found some investments that generated the cash I needed to live on without selling appreciating assets.

We are doing something similar. Planning to live on income-bearing investments and letting the stock market investments fluctuate without having to depend on them. Helps us sleep at night.

In no particular order:

LBYM, invested the rest. Every raise/bonus went to investments. Still living in the fist house I ever bought. Read Andrew Tobias back in the day. Decided not to end up like my parents. Didn't care if my in-laws thought I was broke. Owned most cars for 10+ years. Married for 35 years. Still trying to convince her we have enough to get by. Enjoy life because it will be over soon enough.

LBYM seems to be a very common behavior of people who are financially stable. I hear it here regularly.

I was at the transfer station (in the olden days this would be the "dump") on Saturday and the Public Works employee manning the shed told me about his plans- "65 and out-that's the maxiumum pension I can get. I am OK financially - just spend less than your paycheck."

Interesting to see that although his pay was likely moderate, by his habits he now has financial freedom!

Congratulations and welcome to retirement!

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me to this forum.

I've never had such a positive reaction on a forum before. Everyone has been so friendly. There is so much bad news these days, it is nice to see something so positive.

I hope this puts a smile on your face as big as the smile on mine! :greetings10:

Congrats on your retirement and thanks for the positive post!

Sure put a smile on my face! :) :)

Need a little help

I am guessing you already checked it out, but do you have enough in your taxable account in order to minimize your medical costs via subsidies through the ACA?

This is not a topic I'm familiar with - not retired yet. Any suggestions for where to go here for further study on this?

This is not a topic I'm familiar with - not retired yet. Any suggestions for where to go here for further study on this?

For starters, you can check out the sites listed below to get a feel for medical costs under ACA plans.

healthsherpa.com
healthgov.org

See attached for what types of income is included in the calculations of MAGI (Modified Adjusted Gross Income), which is used to determine the income for calculations of potential subsidies.

https://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/pdf/2013/MAGI_summary13.pdf

In general, folks try to limit their MAGI under the FPL (Federal Poverty Limits) in order to gain subsidies for the medical costs.
Typically this can be accomplished by using monies which are in a Taxable Account and lead to less taxable income.

I retired almost exactly three years before your date, 08/02/17 for me. It's been a great 3 years so far, welcome to the club!

2 houses, no debt, 3M net worth.
-AZ2020

Congratulations! I'm happy for you.

Do your financial scenarios allow you to keep two homes? I also have 2 houses and 3M net work, but, each of the houses is 1M. So, I can't retire, the houses are too expensive!

Congratulations! I'm happy for you.

Do your financial scenarios allow you to keep two homes? I also have 2 houses and 3M net work, but, each of the houses is 1M. So, I can't retire, the houses are too expensive!

Yes, both houses are modest and together are valued at 665K (per Zillow).

We use the 2nd house a lot so we'll keep both until we don't. I could even see downsizing into the 2nd (smaller) house, or sell both and move into a place where all the maintenance is taken care of, but we are not ready for that yet.

Have fun and enjoy your retirement!

Congrats! My wife and I got serious about FIRE when I was 37. Was able to walk away five years ago at age 59. Every day is a gift!!

-BB

Congrats on your achievement! Welcome to the world on your terms. Such a great feeling knowing you are now in control of your life/time.

Coming up on 2 years for me and I could not fathom going back to w*rk; couldn’t fit it in to MY schedule ;)

Back
Top Bottom