Unscheduled retirement

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well, it finally happened.

Last week, I was told that after 21 years of (mostly) dedicated service, my company no longer needed my services.

Although I have been part of this forum for a year and have learned a lot from the shared experiences, I still wasn't quite mentally ready for this unscheduled job separation. Since this caught me a bit off guard, I haven't made any plans yet, I'm just doing a lot more of my normal routine minus the 48 hour work/commuting week.

The unexpected upside of this layoff is that I get to have my salary and health benefits for a nice number of months. When I was told about my layoff, I almost got angry as I didn't think my former employer had any exiting policy for "discarted" aging salaried employees but I was quite surprised to hear that they were offering me a decent severance package upon signing a separation agreement. Perhaps the fear of a lawsuit may have been the motivating factor and not a reward for past loyal service. Of course, knowing where some of the dead bodies are buried helped.

Since I was laid off, I am now "unemployed". But after a year, if I am still unemployed, I guess I will consider myself retired. :D

MJ :)

MJ -

I would seriously consider getting back to work after a little time off.  Call me crazy but if you weren't ready then you may not be happyily retired or at least according to a study.  I think it had some valid points.  My nickels worth but your view may change with some time.

I'm sorry it went down this way, but perhaps it will be a blessing.
Take some time and decompress, then take a look at the finances before you decide what to do ...
Good Luck!

Hello MJ. I think you might eventually view the
"divorce" as highly fortuitous. Other than that, I have no advice. In work and romance I have always operated under the theory that if I was not wanted
then I wouldn't want to hang around anyway. OTOH,
I knew without any doubt when it was time for me to quit.

JG

Thanks.
I do view this as a blessing in disguise.
My financial house is in good shape.
As much as they may have done me a favor, it still wasn't a pleasant experience.
It's kinda like Mom giving you a harsh tasting medicine that's good for you.

MJ

Actually it just means MJ will have more time to hang out on the ER forum :D

Actually it just means MJ will have more time to hang out on the ER forum :D

When I was "working", being at my desk for 8 hours, I was able to keep up. But now with all the free time, I have fallen behind on my timely daily dose of the ERF.

MJ ;)

Ain't that just the way corporations work? When I got to be 60, I went to the boss and "volunteered" for layoff, since we had had rumors of pending layoffs. Didn't get it. Had I implored them to stay, I would have been nailed.

Take some time and decide what next. I wish you luck and wisdom.

Since I was laid off, I am now "unemployed". But after a year, if I am still unemployed, I guess I will consider myself retired.  :D
MJ  :)
Layoff or sabbatical?  One means you're looking for a job, the other means you're looking for a life.  But both of them seem to lead to a high percentage of FIRE experiences. So congratulations on being ready for the opportunity!

Sounds like a great chance to shed the chronic fatigue, get more exercise, and put your FIRE plans under a microscope to see how the theory works in practice.  Unless, of course, your workplace was also in the habit of offering afternoon naps to worthy employees.  

Ain't that just the way corporations work? When I got to be 60, I went to the boss and "volunteered" for layoff, since we had had rumors of pending layoffs. Didn't get it. Had I implored them to stay, I would have been nailed. Take some time and decide what next. I wish you luck and wisdom.

Thanks Eagle. Given the negative work atmosphere of my former company, I would have never come to my socall boss (that's a whole other story for the future) for a voluntary layoff since I wasn't aware of any severance policy. We never had a real corporate HR department.

MJ

MJ: So Sorry. After 21 years at the same company, it must have been a shock to be called in and be told your services are no longer required. It just goes to show you to always look out after number one -- "you"! In this day and age, there is no corporate loyalty, especially to long-term employees. Enjoy your new found freedom.

Layoff or sabbatical? One means you're looking for a job, the other means you're looking for a life. But both of them seem to lead to a high percentage of FIRE experiences. So congratulations on being ready for the opportunity!

Sounds like a great chance to shed the chronic fatigue, get more exercise, and put your FIRE plans under a microscope to see how the theory works in practice. Unless, of course, your workplace was also in the habit of offering afternoon naps to worthy employees.

Thanks Nords.
My socall boss slowly minimized my roll in my department for several years, so I kinda got to have a lot of daily mental naps. I continue to go to the Y gym and actually have extended my weighlifting routine. I continue to ride my bicycle everywhere to make up for the loss of my enjoyable daily 90 minutes bike work commute.

20+ yrs of experience tells me you are still very valuable person. I don't know your line of work but a lot of people do a little contract consulting (pick and choose some of your jobs and when to work) once their corporate career is over. I would love to have your 20+ yrs of experience. Plenty of ideas out there & with some time to kick back I am sure you will do what is best.

MJ, I totally understand your feeling -- money aside, it HURTS to be let go -- whatever the reason. The sad fact is that dedicated workers generally suffer from the mis-management of others higher up.

But you (and many others of us) were raised to think that good work would be rewarded and that if we're laid off there might have been SOMETHING we could have done differently.

Take it from me, not so. I've worked at 5 IT companies in my career and all 5 have had at least one layoff during my tenure (and some had MORE than one). Sometimes, truly EXCELLENT workers went out the door while I stayed. It's a lot like musical chairs - wherever your butt is when the music stops is what determines your fate.

I got hit on two out of the five. The first time I felt a real sense of shame about it, despite having worked like a dog and gotten a 20% (!!!) raise only a few months earlier, following solid letters of acclaim from customers. There was no way I could say I had been a bad worker... and yet...

One of my friends put it this way: "No matter how much I rationalize it, I can't understand being laid off so long as ONE other person is still working there."

It's not rational, it's emotional, but the good news is that it goes away! The first time, as I say, I was mortified. The second, my attitude was, "whatever, let's see the package." I started a job search right away and was working again the next week!

Your attitude WILL adjust, but in the meantime, take care of yourself, rest on your laurels a little, and understand that this is NO reflection on your value. Also know that those on this board and in your real life are behind you 100%!

Caroline

I appreciate the warm wishes.
As uncomfortable as it felt be dumped, It wasn't a total surprise. I was planning on leaving in the near future, although, my date was a moving target. But being laid off now, would have been a much greater hardship if I hadn't received a decent severance package.

Hey MJ, it's spring, maybe a nice bike ride down into the Poconos would get you off to a good start?

Good Luck!

Mikey

I am in the same condition now that you were before the involuntary dissing. If I knew I would receive some type of severance pay (such as one year for my 26 years service and the opportunity to continue on the health insurance plan at my own expense, the door would not hit me on the butt as i left.

I am in the same condition now that you were before the involuntary dissing. If I knew I would receive some type of severance pay (such as one year for my 26 years service and the opportunity to continue on the health insurance plan at my own expense, the door would not hit me on the butt as i left.

I wish I did get a year, then I would have been bursting with joy after they gave me the "bad" news. :D

I am planning to go on some heavy duty bike trips in the future. I first have to get a good touring bike.

I am planning to go on some heavy duty bike trips in the future. I first have to get a good touring bike.

MJ,

Sorry/glad to read about your severance/resurrection. You'll do well. DW and I dragged our bikes out of the barn only to find that a mouse had lunched big-time on her seat eek! :eek: a rainy Saturday project

I know that you folks are talking about a different "bike"
than I rode. Still, whenever I see the word "bike"
I get a little twinge. Sure do miss my "biker" days.
Hardest thing I've given up since retirement, probably because it was
purely a function of reaching geezer status. I see older guys (and gals) on "trikes". Can't do it.
I told a guy the other day "No motorcycle, no sex, no
drinking".......................... That's what he has to look forward to.
Anyway, I can still fish :)

JG

I told a guy the other day "No motorcycle, no sex, no
drinking".......................... That's what he has to look forward to.
Anyway, I can still fish :)

JG

Hmmm. Lets see, what kind of bait could catch a Hard-tail riding mermaid carrying a bottle Jack? A ponderable?

BUM

MJ,

My wife was layoffed after 23 years with one company. She took almost a year off doing things that she likes to do. She now has a contract job that she enjoys. Initially, she was mad but that anger dissipated quickly.

Spanky

I was never "laid off", but I was fired a couple of times when I
got crossways with the brass. I realize I am not the easiest
person to work with (or live with) :). Anyway, all my life I had this
theory that if someone didn't value me any more and didin't want
me around, I was happy to depart. I feel this way about business
and romance. Thus, I rarely got my heart broken in commerce
or in courtship.

JG

Back
Top Bottom