vanguard

Laurence said:
First we'd have to disqualify those who were just plain old unemployed with a spouse propping them up, and then determine who has actually accomplished ER. ;)

The rating system might be fun, but it might lead to hurt feelers, too. (Laurence, "What the heck? 1 out of 4 stars? What's up with THAT!?!?" Everybody else, "Well, it wouldn't let us give you zero..... ") :( ;)

I was thinking the same thing re: the wife thing. At least *I* had a plan that by most measures would have been successful over the long haul without marrying the nurse with a purse.

A little far from bailing out with no plan, not enough money and then investing in something that may or may not work out with a sum too small to have a strong likelihood of success...:-*

Martha said:
What's that?

Well, some message boards have a "recommend" feature where if readers like a post they hit the "rec" button so popular posts are indicated by high rec counts. Of course during political threads it turns into a agree/disagree feature, but for less heated topics it helps point out the gems.

Other boards have a full moderation system where users or designated moderators might assign a point's worth of "insightful", "funny", "interesting", "informative", flamebait" or somesuch to it.

Others have ways to rate the poster and not necessarily the post.

This board software has a karma settings section, but I don't know what form the karma takes. It's probably by-post ratings of some sort, but it could be a by-user rating.

Obviously we should not have a Karma feature. Much bad Karma would result.

Thanks BMJ for the explanation.

MRGALT2U said:
Hey! Just in case this was a subtle "dig" :)

I semiretired (meaning PT work) in 1993 at age 49. Net worth well under 500K, a non-working acquisitive spouse and one child at home. I divorced and split
the net worth with my ex. in 1998 I immediately retired 100% and paid child support for 3 years. I acquired my working spouse 3.5 years later.
I see very few on this board who would even attempt this. More typical
is "We have a net worth of 1.7 mil. plus a paid up house worth 500K.
We are 58 and 56, no kids. How much longer do we have to work?"
Now, that sort of thing is really amusing.

JG

It wasn't subtle! :D I was just joshing since you were picking on those of us still chained to "the man". :)

I think if we ask ten people here for a definition of ER, we'd get 11 answers. ;)

Laurence said:
It wasn't subtle!  :D  I was just joshing since you were picking on those of us still chained to "the man".  :)

I think if we ask ten people here for a definition of ER, we'd get 11 answers.  ;)

10-4

I semiretired (meaning PT work) in 1993 at age 49. Net worth well under 500K

That's the ticket. The earlier you retire, and the less money your retire with, the more points you get. Plus extra credit for going without health care!

350k - his and hers, 1993, age 49, no health care then or now.

What's the big deal?

350k went a lot further 10 years ago, and didnt you get the benefit of the greatest bull market in the history of the universe to billow that up a little? ;)

Yep

Tide of history, 2 yrs temp work(his and hers), small pension kicked in at 55, conveniently sold ate ate the duplex($ that is).

Unlike JG - had the fates deal different cards - even with a 72t as originally planned - back to work might have been in order.
We came in generally - handgrenade wise in the infamous $50/day ballpark. But the emotional - perceived margin of safety 'might' have scared me back into the workforce.

2005 - different view forward and definitely would use a higher no. AND the women have/had health insurance.

24k for two  with a paid up house - :confused:plus depending on :confused:

I self insure with a reasonible amount of worry - but it doesn't keep me up nights nor did I attempt to quantify my odds of making it age 49 - 65.

In 1993 - it was wag the dog - Cobra was 725/mo - no way - and still not work.

With the passage of history over twelve years - self insure is 1 mil not 300k.

Still - will do a little shopping this summer - to see what the rates are for high deductible.

Do NOT recommend this for anyone else!

Cobra was 725/mo

That's crazy. Don't blame ya. As for me I am hoping HSAs gain popularity and push down the fees. For a young person it seems like a good bet based on the rollover effect. I got 20+ years ahead of me, tax deduct contribtutions, money in the account can become a retirement vehicle, healthy and willing to roll the dice on a $1000 deduct. Not one to go to a doctor in search of the cure for a case of the sniffles.

Still - will do a little shopping this summer - to see what the rates are for high deductible.

Do NOT recommend this for anyone else!

BC/BS of MS offers a 10k ded for a 62 year old for $255/mo. Includes doc copays and drugs. Probably similar rates for your area.

unclemick2 said:
350k - his and hers, 1993, age 49, no health care then or now.

What's the big deal?

$350K is equivalent to $629K today, which is still not that much. If you have good health, you really do not need comprehensive health-care insurance. I might consider a high-deductible kind just in case.

th said:
FYI - BC/BS rates vary WILDLY by area.

BC/BS "the blues" is a beast of a company. We just switched, saving premium dollars but what a paper tiger! :p

And a real case study for not employing union workers. Don't even think of asking a question that might take 10 minutes to answer if you've called 5 minutes before my break!

th said:
FYI - BC/BS rates vary WILDLY by area.

That is true. I believe Unclemick lives in  Louisiana. BCBS of LA has more plan options than MS, therefore he may even be able to get a better rate than what I stated previously depending upon what coverage he seeks. I think Golden Rule actually had the cheapest stripped down policies back when I was getting quotes. But like you said, your state of residence has a lot to do with it.

Martha said:
Obviously we should not have a Karma feature. Much bad Karma would result.

Thanks BMJ for the explanation.

Heh, while I was checking on th's "modify" problem I looked at the help entry for the karma settings:

Karma is a feature that shows the popularity of a member. Members, if allowed, can 'applaud' or 'smite' other members, which is how their popularity is calculated. You can change the number of posts needed to have a "karma", the time between smites or applauds, and if administrators have to wait this time as well.

Heh, the thought of having users smite each other is amusing, but I can't imagine it being helpful in any way.

No more or less helpful than a post count.

I guess it could be helpful for a newer member to know who is considered reliable/helpful and who isnt without needing any help. Might also assist some members in realizing their 'contributions' arent as well valued as they think and kickstart them to improve the quality and their respective ratings.

th said:
No more or less helpful than a post count.

I guess it could be helpful for a newer member to know who is considered reliable/helpful and who isnt without needing any help.  Might also assist some members in realizing their 'contributions' arent as well valued as they think and kickstart them to improve the quality and their respective ratings.

I agree. It might be worth a try. If it gets abused or causes problems it could be removed.

I'm always up for a new tool, although I might find my ego bruised! ;)

If things get nasty, BMG can always turn it off again, but this board is definitely the most civil I've ever read, so I think the risk is minimal.

I think ratings in any form are a step away from quality. Aren't adults expected to be able to figure out for themselves what is helpful and what isn't?

And if they can't make this decision, why would a group of posters be better at it? Boards are like high school- bunch of people with no clear purpose trying to do what comes naturally in those situations- goof off and create hierarchies. Gresham's Law operates here as surely as anywhere else.

I have never continued long at any board that has ratings, suck points, etc. And wouldn't at this one. Whether that would be a gain or loss to me or to others is a matter for individual assessment.

I would be forced to use more of my time either practicing drums, going out, or maybe even getting a job! I might finally even get my Spanish up to speed- then I could start on Arabic. Who knows, I might one day be useful at Guantanamo.

M

Eh, for example, new people would have seen hoco-loco's extreme smitten bad karma and known right off the bat what they were dealing with. There are a few similar goofballs.

Back
Top Bottom