work in public position - when to start telling ppl Im leaving?

retiringat50

Recycles dryer sheets
I have not handed in my final written resignation. Will not do that till Im finished w/surgery. Having surgery May 22nd - want to wait till after that to give written notice. Early retirement date will be July 14. Most likely due to surgery recovery I will not be returning and May 21 will be my last date. Town knows, director knows, immediate boss has written paperwork from doctor (as does town mgr and director). They just dont have my written notice (although verbally they have known for 5 months now).

Can I start telling the public (Im in a public position) that Im leaving? I have told a few and my coworkers know.

I would consider various scenarios:
- What happens if I do not return from surgery? All surgery has risks and I want my family to be as secure as possible. So if I turn in my resignation before I know the outcome, would family be worse off in terms of pension, salary, insurance, health benefits etc. than if I wait till I know that I am ok afterwards?
- What happens if I return with handicaps? Same idea as above.
All the best for your recovery.

I would consider various scenarios:
- What happens if I do not return from surgery? All surgery has risks and I want my family to be as secure as possible. So if I turn in my resignation before I know the outcome, would family be worse off in terms of pension, salary, insurance, health benefits etc. than if I wait till I know that I am ok afterwards?
- What happens if I return with handicaps? Same idea as above.
All the best for your recovery.
In most systems giving notice does not make the change effective, the effective date has to come and go. If something happens before that she is still an employee and the rules for death or disability in service will apply. Keep in mind, that can work both ways. My brother died of cancer recently. He had the choice of an annuity or a lump sum. He retired while still sick and took the entire lump sum which he left to his wife. Had he dies in service she would have received half.

Back
Top Bottom