RV Pricing (crystal ball), RV in general discussion

I bought a 24-foot Class B all the way back in 1972, while I was in the Air Force. Paid $8K for it, brand new, & it looked like a motorhome, not a van! Wife & kids could use it while I was flying F-4s in Vietnam. Kept it for 18 years, & drove it from California to Florida. I'm sure we stayed in some campgrounds, but I remember just pulling off, into some trees, & just camping.We'd stay in a campground once a week to discharge the black water, get more fresh water, etc., but only long enough to take care of those necessities.

Spent most of our time in Arizona & California, until my new wife got us up to Wyoming & Colorado. Moved to New Orleans, but when the chance came to move to Hawaii, we jumped at it, without the RV. At that time, Hawaii made it illegal to sleep in our motorhome, so that was a no-brainer. Even after 18+ years, our RV was in very-good shape, & we sold it to a surfer couple in Malibu, for the same $8K.

Federal, state, & local governments have totally changed the way RVs can be used, compared to 50 years ago, with rules & regulations out the okole! Not sure I'd buy another one, & not only because we love Hawaii. We occasionally miss the RVing life, but we can never go back to the way it used to be.

I volunteer at a State Park in Virginia and also serve as campground host 2 months a year. It’s amazing how booked up the RV sites are on weekends and how empty the campground is from Sunday afternoon to Friday afternoon. My message to retirees struggling to find a campsite is “Arrive on Sunday and depart on Friday”. Except for holiday weeks, you will most likely be able to get a site even when booking late. Stop competing with working folks for weekend spots!

We bought an Ibex 23 foot camper spur of the moment this year. We paid around $30,000 for it and already had a Toyota Tundra to pull it. DD and her family were going on a 30 day camping trip and wanted us to join them. We had a good time and many memories were made. The campgrounds were not crowded through the week.

I think that I enjoyed it more than my DH. We toyed with the idea of selling it and figured that we would take a loss. We decided to keep it and make a decision next year. DD has already sold the one that they bought. They bought theirs used and a good deal and sold it for the same amount. They are talking about buying a smaller camper, instead of the 5th Wheel that they had. I will see if I can get DH to go out again late spring and see if we enjoy it by ourselves. If not, then we will have our s-in-l, sell it for us. Hopefully, we will not lose too much money. Either way, at least we got to experience camping and have some good memories from that time.

I previously mentioned that our 36' fifth wheel stays in a member owned campground in the NE Georgia mountains.

If we kept our trailer at home, we would have 4 state parks, two city parks and a dozen private campgrounds within an hour of our house. TVA and the Corps of Engineers also have a bunch of campgrounds in close proximity.

Just because you are a RVer doesn't necessarily mean you've got to travel far to find great campgrounds. We're just fortunate to have the great Tennessee River running through town--and recreation here abounds.

All things being equal choose a fiberglass RV. The shell can be repaired at a boatyard that repairs fiberglass boats.

Count me in the camp that recently sold mine for more than I paid for it.

After I totaled up how much I spent on hotel rooms the first couple of years I was Fire'd, I bought a little Coachman Clipper that I could pull behind my Jeep for $11k.

It paid for itself the first year (2016). By early 2021, it was becoming impossible to reserve campsites and inventory was extremely tight. I put mine on Facebook Marketplace for $14k and sold it to the first party that came to see it.

I want to get another one - and I think there will be some really good deals over the next year.

We are in the market for another camper trailer next spring after having had a 21 ft one several years ago. Looking to find a Coachman Apex Nano 187RB. Observations are inventory is WAY up, and prices all over the place, suggesting the market is flattening. There are many, many RV dealers along the main highway where we live in So. NH and their lots are packed now. I am seeing $10k+ price differentials for the exact same trailer we are looking for nationwide indicating that some sellers are trying harder than others.....

Warranties are great, but in reality anything you can address yourself is easier than towing to a far away dealer and waiting for parts.

I agree 100%, But ours is waiting at the dealer for the complete slideout system to be replaced... glad we got the warranty.

I knows it's cheaper to drive a car and stay in hotels, but I've never had Colorado's Clear Creek outside my window and a bunch of interesting people I met at a hotel.

I seen a shirt I want....
" Only camping, is it normal to wander around in your pajamas carrying a bag of dog crap, and strike up a conversation with a total stranger"

Count me in the camp that recently sold mine for more than I paid for it.

After I totaled up how much I spent on hotel rooms the first couple of years I was Fire'd, I bought a little Coachman Clipper that I could pull behind my Jeep for $11k.

It paid for itself the first year (2016). By early 2021, it was becoming impossible to reserve campsites and inventory was extremely tight. I put mine on Facebook Marketplace for $14k and sold it to the first party that came to see it.

I want to get another one - and I think there will be some really good deals over the next year.
Nice. We got $3k more than we paid for ours as well.
Being patient and picky looking for replacement.

Back
Top Bottom