2021 Mustang Mach-E review - Car Nuts, FYI

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
The website "the Truth About Cars" has published their first look and test of the new Ford Mustang Mach-E (EV) model year 2021. It's worth a read:

For many of you, a Mustang is a two-door, rear-drive car powered by a V8. If that’s the case, then this is NOT a Mustang. But if you are looking for a car that’s probably more fun than it needs to be, with decent storage and practicality, then the Mustang Mach-E might be something you want to look at. If you extend the Mustang definition to mean “a fun car,” then the Mach-E delivers.

Most of my day was spent in a Premium all-wheel-drive trim of the Mach-E, with the long-range battery. That car makes 346 hp and 428 lb-ft of torque. It’s EPA-estimated range is 280 miles in this guise, and Ford claims a 0-to-60 mph of less than 5 seconds.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...-mach-e-first-drive-tesla-model-y-challenger/

I didn't read the article, but my prediction is the sales will be limited. Probably similar numbers to the Leaf.

I could be wrong. The Electric Hummer had plenty of interest.

I say few people want their EV from Ford. VW and Tesla will be where they go. The other carmakers will be far behind them.

I didn't read the article, but my prediction is the sales will be limited. Probably similar numbers to the Leaf.

I could be wrong. The Electric Hummer had plenty of interest.

I say few people want their EV from Ford. VW and Tesla will be where they go. The other carmakers will be far behind them.

Tesla has surely made EVs a category and done fantastic things, but most of the time with a new product, the early companies are replaced by 2nd or 3rd wave. Think Motorola, flip phones, all the early car companies that most never heard of. Guess Tesla could be the exception, but I wouldn’t count out Ford or GM. Just an uninformed comment

My point is that the Mustang will have some initial decent numbers for 90 days or so, then dwindle. The Leaf sold 30,000 units in the US in 2014, now they probably won't break 7000 for 2020.

VW will be the worlds largest EV seller in a few years. Then Tesla. Everybody else a distant 3rd to 30th.

I say Johnny doesn't wake up and say "I want to buy an EV, let's go to the Ford dealer".

If I'm wrong I will admit it in this thread. All my predictions in the old Tesla thread have been correct.

I didn't start this thread to debate the future of any maker's EVs. There will be plenty of them to choose from in the coming years.

I already have a classic Mustang convertible in the garage "put up" for the winter as my summer fun car. I read this review and thought some of the features of the Mach-E were neat, like the small dash cluster in addition to the center stack and the tailoring of the traction control to mimic the handling of an ICE powered car.

I'm really starting to research EVs, even at my ripe old age of 77 (LOL). I can't wait to try the new VW EV once it hits the market. I have driven a Model 3 and was very impressed. I also looked at a used Leaf but was turned off by the fact that the battery is not temperature controlled. The Leaf is archaic compared to other EV's and it's only a decade old.

There is just so much good, new tech being developed with EVs, it just mind boggling. My feeling is that battery technology advancements will be the big thing in the area of vehicle transportation for the future.

I read that some higher-up executive in Ford was aghast that the Mustang Mach E was going to be essentially an SUV and figured it was doomed. Then he had possession of a prototype for a week and was won over by it.

Sorry, but it just isn’t a Mustang. Reminds me of an earlier Mustang redesign....

... I say Johnny doesn't wake up and say "I want to buy an EV, let's go to the Ford dealer" ...

Likely true, but if he reads about it, and it sounds good, that might make him want to take a look.

If I'm wrong I will admit it in this thread. All my predictions in the old Tesla thread have been correct.

I don't have the exceptional memory that NW-Bound possesses, but there were some bells ringing on that one (and not from the Christmas Carols in the background). From that old Tesla thread from 2 years ago:

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/thoughts-on-tesla-86202-25.html#post2117702

10-02-2018, 01:28 PM

Volvo has a future...it no longer will make ICE cars starting in 3 months..They've already planned and adjusted for the future

-ERD50

Ford should have just named it the Mach-E.

Agreed. Why manufacturers feel the need to slap one model’s name on another vehicle is beyond me. I get that they do it because of the name recognition, but most people associate the Mustang name with a low-slung 2+2 coupe. It’s dumb.

I read another impression on theverge.com by the writer who had it for a few days.

Says people came up to him and asked him about it.

I like the styling of the old mustangs but to put that horse logo now along with the signature 3 bar tail lights seem off.

Also generally don't like lower-sitting SUVs. However the writer said there was plenty of head room, room in the back for two child seats and room in the boot as well.

I think there's a market for cars with nicer materials and build quality. Not sure Mach E is it but people don't seem to think Tesla brings that.

So the premium German marques will be bringing theirs next year, Audi, BMW, Mercedes.

And just this past week, Toyota announced it would have a fully electric SUV next year, after being mostly hostile to BEVs. The Japanese manufacturers bet a lot on fuel-cell and hybrids.

But Lexus touted drive tech where each wheel would have a motor and it would be controlled in real time.

I think auto executives see the eye-popping stock price of Tesla as well as high stock prices even for EV startups most people never heard of and they're accelerating the transition to EVs.

Likely true, but if he reads about it, and it sounds good, that might make him want to take a look.

I don't have the exceptional memory that NW-Bound possesses, but there were some bells ringing on that one (and not from the Christmas Carols in the background). From that old Tesla thread from 2 years ago:

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/thoughts-on-tesla-86202-25.html#post2117702

-ERD50

Sorry, that's not a prediction. There's a big difference between a prediction and a quoting error. My error was I misread an article about Volvo, and I acknowledged that I read it wrong. I wasn't predicting what Volvo would do.

A prediction was like what I wrote in post #3300 in that thread. Regarding a political change in USA (you did hear what was said at the Presidential debates, on this topic?)

And in the same post, what did I predict about carbon taxes? Looks like London is implementing them quicker than I even predicted. I'm writing this all from memory, so hopefully I get it all correct: that in Oct/21, only EV's (and hydrogen fuel cell) are free to drive in London (other UK cities as well but weren't mentioned), and ICE cars will pay 34? 35? pounds daily.

Currently the fee is 12, is limited to "Inner London", and phev's as well as ICE's are exempt. This changes in 10 months and 16 days. Let's see how quickly similar fee's are imposed in the US.

If any ER forum members reading this are familiar with the fee's ( Does Alan live there?) please tell me anything I got wrong.

I would much rather discuss the Mustang EV. And this car would be exempt from the above fee's. But my prediction is there will be low demand for it, and then diminish over the years. As the Leaf is doing.

Last edited:
I have had my share of Mustangs with past cars being a 1971 Mach1, a 1978 Cobra, a 1985 GT Fox body, a 96 GT fox body, a 2004 new edge GT convertible, and my current daily driver, a 2013 V6 Pony.

This new car should never have been labeled as a "Mustang"...name it a Falcon, Torino, Comet, Galaxie, anything but a gender confused Mustang.

We’ll see. Most if not all the failed models had glowing reviews at some point before they went bankrupt. Tesla has a huge head start on other automakers, and many have tried and failed already*. We’ll see how Ford and those who come after fare, they certainly have deeper pockets than most who’ve failed so far.

And there are (at least) two distinct EV market segments, luxury and mid priced, Tesla has been the most successful in both categories so far. It appears the Mach-E is attempting to break into the midrange, unlike many new models coming to market e.g. Porsche, BMW, Audi, Volvo, etc. (you don’t have to sell a lot of units to claim success in the luxury EV segment).

I believe there will be a real EV segment eventually, instead of just Tesla, but Tesla won’t be unseated soon or easily.

And I think using the Mustang name and some style cues on the Mach-E seems like a desperate stretch to me. The Mach-E has nothing in common with the Mustang legacy. But it probably won’t hurt sales, just won’t help...

* Dyson, Faraday, Bright Automotive, AMP, Aptera, Coda, Detroit Electric, Fisker Automotive and LeEco. Not to mention GM’s EV1, Bolt, Nissan Leaf.

Last edited:
I have had my share of Mustangs with past cars being a 1971 Mach1, a 1978 Cobra, a 1985 GT Fox body, a 96 GT fox body, a 2004 new edge GT convertible, and my current daily driver, a 2013 V6 Pony.

This new car should never have been labeled as a "Mustang"...name it a Falcon, Torino, Comet, Galaxie, anything but a gender confused Mustang.

+1

I'm a car guy. This might be a nice looking car. But to my eye, it's not a nice looking Mustang.

It's as much of a "reach" as the Mustang II was.

I dunno 50 grand? Or more for a car with 30-50 less range then a slightly less expensive Tesla?
Besides we rarely get into a car these days.

Its very clear what Ford is doing. This vehicle isn't an EV Mustang its competitive against the Tesla Model Y. A SUV Mustang? Nah it's a crossover pitted against a new model Tesla.

Personally I'm all for competition in the marketplace. The Ford is eligible for the federal tax credit of $7500. Check your state too. It's a great way to quit burning dino bones. Don't drive an EV unless you're ready to purchase its a different experience.

Last edited:
I think it will be a moderate success for Ford. Along with the new electric F-150. They get Ford into the electric vehicle market. Ford has the capital and resources to learn and improve over time in their electric vehicles.

As far as the Mustang name, no it is not a Mustang in the heritage of that name. No Mustang has ever had 4 doors and crossover styling. Should have just called it the Mach-E.

My point is that the Mustang will have some initial decent numbers for 90 days or so, then dwindle. The Leaf sold 30,000 units in the US in 2014, now they probably won't break 7000 for 2020.

VW will be the worlds largest EV seller in a few years. Then Tesla. Everybody else a distant 3rd to 30th.

I say Johnny doesn't wake up and say "I want to buy an EV, let's go to the Ford dealer".

It might be that the Leaf is such a small car that very few people want to buy one... and the reliability of the battery is suspect....

Size and reliability matter to ICE cars and I suspect they will matter to EV cars...

Ford is using it's popular model names as a brand.
For example, the new Bronco doesn't have any ford badge on it.
Same with the Mach-E.

Dodge did this with the Ram trucks.
They just say Ram everywhere and no Dodge.

Ford is saving millions of dollars in marketing costs by using the Mustang name here.

How much press would this car get if it was called a Ford Flex for example?

The Mach-E will be a hit because all of the reviews are saying it's fun to drive and still has access to the $7500 EV rebate.
It will also have better fit and finish than a Tesla.
I'd consider this car over a model Y.

This design brings back memories of the Edsel. Doubt it will thrive.

This design brings back memories of the Edsel. Doubt it will thrive.

It may not thrive, but the Edsel was in a class by itself. The Edsel was introduced in 1957 right at the height of a recession. Besides being sold at the same time other less expensive Ford cars of similar size were already in the lineup (internal model competition), the Edsel's were more expensive (although had more features) and were unproven.

In 1958, Edsel offered 18 different models of the name. Too many choices and high price, along with low reliability killed the model. Also at that time, GM was offering a better product line.

1958 Edsel Specifications & Photos - Model Specific:

1958 Edsel Page

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom