Trading in a car worth more than the one bought

OP here. For better or worse, I've agreed to a deal with my local Toyota dealer for a 2021 Highlander Hybrid Platinum edition with several add-on accessories that I wanted.

It's clear the times are different for buying a vehicle right now due to the chip shortage. My dealer has virtually no new cars on the lot. I test drove a similar (but not Platinum) that was currently being leased by one of the sales people. The dealer was very firm in pricing and wouldn't budge. I'm not the best negotiator, but I'm usually able to get at least one round of back-and-forth to squeeze out another thousand or 2 from the numbers they offered. But the dealer made it clear the market is such that they aren't currently doing much of any negotiating.

Here are some metrics that some people who have been replying on this thread may be interested in.

My trade-in is a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited edition with a few add-ons. It's a high-end vehicle for that model.

Kelly Blue Book estimated value for my Ram (if purchased by a dealer as trade-in) was between $54,683 and $59,035 with $56,857 being the "target" spot in the middle.

Edmunds valuation came in at $54,334 as it's target spot.

Carvana's offer was only $47,152.

CarMax is too far away to easily get an offer right now.

The dealer offered me $53,000 for the Ram. So better than Carvana by a lot, but not up to KBB's low end. They would not budge on that, try as I may.

The Highlander I want is not currently on my dealer's lot and not currently in their expected "allocation" from Toyota. This means they have two routes they can pursue. First, they are trying to get one from another dealership. No other dealership in a reasonable area has the one I want on their lot currently. There are a few lower level models in the area, but very few Platinums and none with the feature set I'm looking for. However, a dealer in Philadelphia area (complete opposite side of the state) has one just like I want in it's September "allocation". This means Toyota has already allocated it to them and it should be built in August/September ready for delivery in September. My local dealership is now trying to negotiate a deal with the Philly dealership to get that allocation re-directed to NW PA for my purchase. But in order to get that, my dealer has to trade from their own allocation and it has to be something that the Philly dealer wants to have in their allocation. Otherwise, the Philly dealership doesn't have to agree to the reallocation. That is being worked on today. If that works out, I would get delivery of my new Highlander sometime in September. At this point in time, they could still re-direct the shipment directly to NW PA and not have to drive the vehicle from Philly.

If the 2 dealerships can't reach a trade of allocation, then my dealer will have to order it and get it into the next available allocation slot from Toyota. This will mean my delivery time would likely be in October or possibly November. Basically, they are currently running 2-3 months for this approach.

For the new Highlander, because of the chip shortage and demand they also were not willing to budge on anything lower than sticker price. Perhaps I'm just not convincing enough, but I couldn't get them to move. This dealer does include lifetime safety inspections and tire rotations and they threw in oil changes, routine maintenance, and roadside assistance for 4years/45,000 miles. But I'm guessing everyone gets that anyway just by asking for it.

I will receive any Toyota incentive that is in place at the time I take ownership. Right now, that would be $750 cash back. But that could go up or down or away.

Soooooo.... We are essentially doing an equal value trade. The good news is that this means I don't pay any sales tax. After they add in the usual registration and dealer fees, I will owe them $370. If the factory incentive is still $750 at the time of deal closing, they will owe me $380.

For better or worse, I'm happy. The price I paid for the Ram was more than $53,000 and it is fully paid for. I look at the difference as my cost of driving a vehicle for the last year. I get the new car I want without having to write a big check and may even get a few hundred dollars for gas money. Of course, my happiness is contingent on me actually getting the vehicle I want in the next 2-3 months. :)

Last edited:
We're considering the exact same model. I'd be curious what you have to pay vs. the sticker price.

Unfortunately, as I just fully discussed in another thread, I ended up paying full sticker price. If you can find one you like already on a lot, you may be able to do better.

OP--
sounds like you got a good deal for the car you really wanted.
Hope it goes through for you soon!

I'm guessing the time lag here might have affected the value of your trade negatively. Uncharted waters. But it seems Carmax should have a better number You're happy so it's all good

I'm guessing the time lag here might have affected the value of your trade negatively. Uncharted waters. But it seems Carmax should have a better number You're happy so it's all good

Thanks. And I should have added... So far, I haven't signed anything. I gave them $100 as a deposit, but that's it. I have their deal sheet with all the terms, but I didn't have to sign anything. So once the vehicle is actually imminently mine, I may find someone to follow me over to Cleveland and see how much CarMax offers me for the Ram. If they offer more than the dealer, I don't see why I can't sell it to them and then still buy the Highlander. Then my friend can drive me home and drop me at Toyota to sign papers for my new one. I'll keep this in mind as the clock turns.

Do you have to pay full sales tax on the new vehicle, or tax on the difference between new and trade? That's a huge factor for a trade in of that value.

Do you have to pay full sales tax on the new vehicle, or tax on the difference between new and trade? That's a huge factor for a trade in of that value.

In Pennsylvania, you only pay the sales tax on the difference in value between trade-in and new vehicle. So I won't be paying any sales tax on this transaction. Not sure if that's the way it is in all states.

Oops sorry, your post specifically said not to bring up who to sell your car to and I did that. Sorry I should've read closer

Well, I appreciate the info. Not sure I'll use it, but sure is nice to know there could be a way to avoid a dealer. :greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom