3 beeps can't find

3 more beeps just now. so about 12 hours apart. These sounded farther away to me but then the furnace is running and might muffle it.

You would think they could invent something. I called the company and they said the bad one be flashing red. No red here.

Now I understand why people disable these things! Of course I am not 100% sure what it is.
My funny story. We started hearing a cricket chirping in the basement. Try as I might, I could not find that cricket and my hearing could not exactly localize the sound. So I attacked with insect killer. Two full cans spraying joists, subfloor, etc. No joy.

Finally found the cause: A small motion detector alarm that we had bought to keep the dog from going somewhere he didn't belong. It hadn't worked very well for that so it ended up on a shelf in my workshop. It took months, maybe a year before the battery got to the point where the "cricket" alarm began.

From that, my guess is that the noise is coming from something besides the smoke detector(s). Some little electronic gadget that you have forgotten about. I have an app on my phone called "Sound Meter" that shows the average volume of sound it hears. Maybe something like that could be used to localize the emitter, though if it only beeps every 12 hours chasing it could take some time.

From that, my guess is that the noise is coming from something besides the smoke detector(s). Some little electronic gadget that you have forgotten about. I have an app on my phone called "Sound Meter" that shows the average volume of sound it hears. Maybe something like that could be used to localize the emitter, though if it only beeps every 12 hours chasing it could take some time.
Yeah, I would go with that. Those few times we have lost power for an extended period of time (more than 10 minutes), we would get intermittent beeps. For a while, I thought it was one or more of the CyberPower battery backups we use to keep power to the router/modem, DVR, STB, PCs, TVs, etc., for those occasional power "blips".

I would go around and start powering them down, even those I had set their alarms to silence. Last week, when a tree fell on an overhead electrical wire in a neighborhood a mile away to cause a 75 minute outage, I located the beeps to the internal battery backup for the installed alarm system.

As a side note, I would check any battery backups you use for computers and the like. Even if powered up, they will sometimes start beeping when the internal battery becomes weak or defective. If they are placed behind desks or furniture, their beeps can become muffled.

This thread made me start to think of other times I've had to track down strange beeps.
A few years ago I had a pedometer I had not used in years and it started beeping from a box stored in the garage.
I have a plug in carbon monoxide alarm upstairs with a backup battery that's also beeped to let me know. Many people also have one close to the furnace either in the house or garage.
My Ring alarm module will beep during a long power failure but it also has a rechargable battery so have not had to wory about if so far. Ring also sends me messages.
Unused alarm clock also beeped when the battery was low.
My Hyundai Sonata did not beep but every so often when I walked into the garage a red light would flash from the top of the dashboard area. Turns out it was an anti theft system even though the doors were unlocked.
I hope OP gets lucky and happens to be close to the culprit when it beeps next time.

Last edited:
Well, could it be you have a devilish friend (Fiend).. For three days DW and i heard this TING TING every 10 minutes once we figured out the sound.... Started using a stop watch to know when 10 minutes came up, keep listening for sound. Must be some battery thing, needed to change the smoke detectors, TING TING. how about my instant read thermometer, TING TING. I'd be in Kitchen, DW would be in living room. TING TING. Is it my room thermometers, TING TING. The thing is it would seem to change every time. In kitchen, then in living room, then in den WTFO !!!!!!!!!!!!!! DW was away, needed another set of ears, text buddy next door, COME OVER ASAP.... Here he comes, whats wrong, need you to help me find a noise, he kinda turns his back and i can see he's giggling, YOU MF'er - sorry we're Navy Dudes !

He opens the pantry and says look down here, on bottom shelf underside, he had stuck a speaker thingy which would TING TING every ten minutes.... We had had a group over for Xmas party and when he left and coast was clear he turned it on....

So me being a devil anyway, said to niece, want to mess with XYZ, sure she said ;-). Well he's deaf as a door post, he didn't hear it ;-((( So going to mess with Grand niece once school dies down.... I haven't heard how this went with her....

So maybe you have some fiend friends :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hmm well its definitely not on a schedule 632 pm 845 a and 457 p. The last set sounded like it was coming from my end table:confused: I took the batteries out of the robot vac remote and the tv remote just for fun but it will be awhile before I know if it helped. Pretty sure I'd have known before now if they beeped but well . . . No pranksters over in the last couple of weeks either. I did find smart TVS often beep apparently but I have a dumb tv.

Last edited:
In our house, the cordless landline phone beeps 3 times every once and awhile. Not sure why.

Very sorry for you having to go through this, but it's quite an entertaining read, if I'm honest... :)

Very sorry for you having to go through this, but it's quite an entertaining read, if I'm honest... :)

Can't help but think of the OP feeling like Curly from the 3 Stooges after each time the beeps not found.

Ugh 632 had 3 more. Obviously I can put all the batteries back in those remotes. I'd laugh too if it was the only thing going crazy but I got more stories like this going on . . . I am even unplugging thing with no battery at this rate like the shredder. . .

Last edited:
If you happen to have a witch hazel tree in your neighborhood, try cutting a Y-shaped twig from it and using it to dowse for the offending sound.

Hey, nothing else seems to be working! :cool:

..................................................................................beep!

Can't help but think of the OP feeling like Curly from the 3 Stooges after each time the beeps not found.

I was picturing something more like Bill Murray in caddyshack trying to get the gopher. [emoji23]

Have you checked your washer or dryer?
I can’t think of anything else that hasn’t already been mentioned.

It will be interesting to hear what the culprit is.

Haha guys. I am not sure I will ever find the thing. I wonder if I have to disclose upon selling house may be haunted by beeps. . .

3 more. . . guess I can plug all that back in. I still think it is the alarms. It is actually worse since i made it 12 hours first time and now its more like 2. I will go take down the third smoke detector. Unplugged the land lines and the robot vac as well.

You may see me in news "local resident goes nuts over mysterious beeps"

Last edited:
My life feels like one lately. And the washer and dryer are old no electronics to whoever brought that up earlier.

Hmm, if the beeps appear to be coming from multiple locations (at different times), maybe the wiring that interconnects the detectors is either faulty or has a connection short at one of the detectors.

Do you have an alarm system in your house? Perhaps one that you don't really use much but it's there. Some have a backup battery that can need replacement and the alarm will beep occasionally.
You have a neighbor close by that could come over and check it out?

My FIOS service has special batter that powers the unit that I connect my router to. When the batter is near its end of service life, the unit beeps. I spent the better part of the week looking for the source of the beeps until I remember that the FIOS device was hidden behind a small table. Out of site, out of mind. I ordered a replacement battery from Amazon and no more beeps.
We've had to do this with our FIOS unit as well. Fortunately it was out in the open in the laundry room.

The old plug-in Carbon Monoxide detector on the other hand...sent us into exactly such a search when the backup battery was dying.

No alarm, no water alarm, no fios. I still think it is the smoke alarms but handyman says it can't be because they are new and test okay and have green lights. Can I take them all out at once and discharge the batteries? I thought that might make them alarm even more if nothing was there but heck I don't know how this works so I am going with one by one. The noise has been much more frequent today than prior days too and alarms are the only new item. Glad I do not have a sleeping baby in the house! I was not logging the times until last night so maybe I will still see a pattern.

Last edited:
My FIOS service has special batter that powers the unit that I connect my router to. When the batter is near its end of service life, the unit beeps. I spent the better part of the week looking for the source of the beeps until I remember that the FIOS device was hidden behind a small table. Out of site, out of mind. I ordered a replacement battery from Amazon and no more beeps.

I just took the battery out of mine and pulled the little buzzer off the ckt board.
Been running that way for a few years now.

Back
Top Bottom