3 beeps can't find

sorry to HEAR it's so random Math.... Our TING was on the button every 10 minutes, being random would drive me nuts, guess keep trying things.

Keep us in the sound track loop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It can absolutely be one of the new detectors.

We got one last year with the new battery in it. We wanted better coverage than the other hardwired ones gave us and the darned thing went off in the middle of the night, alerting to smoke. We found no issue and the hardwired ones didn't go off.

We moved it to the kitchen far away from the location and it went off again while sitting on the counter.

We then moved it to a location right under one of the hardwired ones and it went off again, only this time we couldn't get it to stop so we discharged the battery and tossed it.

So, you aren't crazy for thinking it's one of them. See if there is some way to cover all but one so you can wait for the beep and locate which one is bad. It sure sounds like one has a faulty 'something' with those three beeps.

Oh, a few years ago we googled for mystery beeps with another detector since it was making a noise not described in the manual and found chat boards where people talked about their detector issues, so maybe try that as well. That particular time, we just needed to clean it with compressed air and all was well.

There was a recall on some of the Kidde brands in 2021. Ours was Kidde and while it was not in the recall, it did make us wonder if they had more issues.

Maybe someone is pranking you.

This beeps randomly every 5 to 45 minutes. :angel:

Attachments

• Beep.jpg
    Beep.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 35
In another thread, you say you have an answering machine that get a lot of calls. Could that be the source of the beeps (stored recordings)?

Do the new smoke detectors have permanent batteries or are there individual 9V batteries that you put in? Could just be a bad battery and certainly something that could happen to a new product. Stuff happens. New things go bad all the time. Given that the beep is coming more often, it sounds like a battery going bad. Good luck.

Happened when answering machine was unplugged too. They are 9v batteries. Brand new as well. No hearing aids. It has been over 13 hours since I have had any beeps . . . smoke alarm 3 is undone and some miscellaneous. No pattern to the timing so far so IDK.

Last edited:
have you been able to isolate to one/two rooms? My prank sound machine really did seem to move ;-( You have garage attached? Could it be from some battery operated tool?

I know it's unlikely, but if you have a volt meter, I'd test the batteries. I know they're new, but there is the very slim chance that a cell could be bad. Just grasping at straws. I feel for you. I'd be going crazy.

Also, my dad (90 years old) had a smoke detector issue. I replaced al the batteries and there was still beeping. I finally found a smoke detector down in his basement right by the furnace that was battery only. He had no idea it was there. You said you were new to the house. Is it a new house? Is it possible that there's a detector in a utility room or the attic that you are not aware of?

It can absolutely be one of the new detectors.

There was a recall on some of the Kidde brands in 2021. Ours was Kidde and while it was not in the recall, it did make us wonder if they had more issues.

Yes. As I noted in post #21 our brand new detectors would beep randomly...three beeps sometimes days apart, not every minute like with a dead battery.

Kidde replaced them and we never had a problem again. Electrician also said that a weak wiring connection or change in voltage could also cause it. We isolated them from the 'network' and narrowed it down, one by one. It was one bad, brand new detector.

I just thought of something-
Do you have a water filter in your refrigerator? Could be that if you do.
Apologies if this was already mentioned.

Hmm, if the beeps appear to be coming from multiple locations (at different times), maybe the wiring that interconnects the detectors is either faulty or has a connection short at one of the detectors.

This.

We had a random beeping in our granny flat. Despite being only 700sf, there were two, interconnected, smoke detectors. Hubby replaced them since they were 15 years old when we were doing tenant turnover this past fall. About a month after replacing them there was an intermittent beeping. We finally traced it to a floating ground on the interconnection wire. Very tricky to figure out and no idea why it worked on the first set of alarms, but didn't work on the new ones (same brand.)

Do you have any devices with a surge protector with a backup battery? Computer, water softener system in a closet, for example? Our water softener in a basement closet has a surge protector with a back up battery, and it occasionally announced that the battery was getting old and needed to be replaced. It would beep 4 times in quick succession, a few times, then stop. It became more and more often until we noticed it and updated it. It was quite old.

I could not fix a short in the wiring, or even find it, so I assume that calls for an electrician?

Yes, I have tried removing them all temporarily but I can't tell because sometimes I go 2 hours between beeps and sometimes 20 hours and not sure how long I want to go with zero up there.

Removing one at a time leads me to suspect #4 alarm is bad so I just now replaced it with a new "new" one.

1. Hot water heater moisture alert
  2. Septic alarm
  3. Small cobweb in smoke detector across contacts <- this happened to me and drove me nuts. The little critter kept rebuilding the almost invisible thread. Every time I pulled down the smoke detector and cleaned or swapped the battery I unknowingly removed the invisible web. After a third instance I finally saw the web.
  4. bios battery on a laptop or tablet?
  5. Failing battery in touch enabled faucet or trash can?
  6. Watersoftener
  7. Does someone hate you? https://www.amazon.com/AnnoyingPCB-Ultimate-Productivity-Destroyer-Assembled/dp/B08KG6XHN1

Last edited:
I don't have any fancy faucets, trash cans. Checked thermostat. No water sensors or septic. Don't think its a laptop as last beep it was in my lap and definitely sounded farther away.

Can't rule out spiders I guess. . .

Last edited:
If you still haven’t found the source of the beep but think it’s a smoke alarm, you can buy an indoor camera, like a Nest Cam, point it at a smoke alarm and record. The Nest cam records audio and video, so if it does go off, you can review the video to look for some sign, such as a light blinking, in addition to the audio.

If you still haven’t found the source of the beep but think it’s a smoke alarm, you can buy an indoor camera, like a Nest Cam, point it at a smoke alarm and record. The Nest cam records audio and video, so if it does go off, you can review the video to look for some sign, such as a light blinking, in addition to the audio.

Now that is clever since I can't watch them all at once! Hmm.

That is brilliant, Michael.

Did you keep the smoke detector documents? Did you visit their website FAQ’s? Call their “Need Assistance” number. They may have gone through this before.

Do you have a burglar alarm with battery backup or a tankless water heater?

Bluetooth earbuds?

That was the culprit this weekend when we were visiting DD, DSiL. We kept hearing faint beeps, checked everything, finally figured out what it was!

Back
Top Bottom