50/50 chance, wrong every time

I still say typically, but the symbol is usually etched and you can feel it - no need to rely on you're eyesight.

Also typically, it should point up.
I shouldn't have been so dismissive. That is a good tip. Thank you.

All my USB devices are marked with White Out. Example I have dot on my bluetooth earbuds and one on its USB charger, I just line up the dots.

It could be perfect, if I had glow in the dark White Out.:dance:

Wait...White Out still exists?

Wait...White Out still exists?

When I w*rked in the Pentagon, the saying was that you could tell when you entered a section used by [insert rival service] because it was on the computer screens. :LOL:

I’ve got at least a couple examples of things that seem like they offer a 50/50 chance of getting right, but nevertheless, every time I get it wrong.

Do you think it's possible that the times when you get it right are unremarkable, so you forget them? In other words, maybe you do get it right about half of the time, but are forgetting those instances.

Do you think it's possible that the times when you get it right are unremarkable, so you forget them? In other words, maybe you do get it right about half of the time, but are forgetting those instances.

Probably. No wait.....impossible!

I still say typically, but the symbol is usually etched and you can feel it - no need to rely on you're eyesight.

But usually the manufacturer's logo is etched on the other side. What's worse, it's often hard to distinguish from the USB symbol, even if you can see it.

Here's another one: Every time I get in a line, be it at the supermarket or a toll booth, the lines around me zip along, while mine stands still.

Oh, I try to beat the odds. Don't get behind the little old lady who's going to fish around in the bottom of her purse, looking for pennies. Check out how full each person's cart is. Go for the quick-looking cashier. None of them work consistently.

I understand that, mathematically, I'm unlikely to get into the fastest line. But I can't find any logical reason why mine always has to be the slowest.

But usually the manufacturer's logo is etched on the other side. What's worse, it's often hard to distinguish from the USB symbol, even if you can see it.

Here's another one: Every time I get in a line, be it at the supermarket or a toll booth, the lines around me zip along, while mine stands still.

Oh, I try to beat the odds. Don't get behind the little old lady who's going to fish around in the bottom of her purse, looking for pennies. Check out how full each person's cart is. Go for the quick-looking cashier. None of them work consistently.

I understand that, mathematically, I'm unlikely to get into the fastest line. But I can't find any logical reason why mine always has to be the slowest.

My technique is never get in a line with a male cashier, they are always slower than the women!

My technique is never get in a line with a male cashier, they are always slower than the women!

My technique is to get in the line with the prettiest cashier. That way the wait doesn't seem as long.:)

Even Albert Einstein's theory of relativity says something about that.

My technique is to get in the line with the prettiest cashier. That way the wait doesn't seem as long.:)

Even Albert Einstein's theory of relativity says something about that.

Uh, been to Costco lately?:facepalm: Of course, YMMV.

I just capitulate and choose the self checkout. It guarantees the slowest exit from the store. But removes all my anxiety of tracking line speeds.

I am grateful my cloth mask is reversible. Otherwise, I’m sure I’d choose the wrong side to place on my face every time, even though it should be a 50/50 chance.

The key (usually) is to get behind the male shoppers. Except today I got one who fully loaded his bagged groceries before going "oh hahah I suppose I have to pay!"...

I just capitulate and choose the self checkout. It guarantees the slowest exit from the store. But removes all my anxiety of tracking line speeds.

Since we only do ONE Costco run per week, I do a real "line" instead of the self check out. We always have a cart full. I always joke that I came in for bananas and milk and walk out with $140 worth of stuff.

Scanning a few items (after lifting them out of the cart) is okay. When I have 2-36 packs of soft drinks, a large laundry detergent, 3-24 packs of DW's on-sale-low-sugar protein drinks and two gallons of milk - not so much. Sams has the "wand" but our Costco still requires removing from the cart. I whine but no one listens - yet. YMMV

I have always been navigationally challenged, and my wife seems to have a built-in compass. Spin her around in a city, and she can usually find her way around.

When I started traveling a lot for business, I noticed that I would often get off the elevator and turn the wrong way towards my room. This became so common that I actually stop now, try to get my bearings or check the room number signs before I head down a hall. After thinking about this more, I think my built-in compass is actually broken and reads upside down or left rather than right. So I think this happens more often than 50/50.

I am a retired engineer, so I totally buy in to the randomness of everything and the coin flips being 50/50. But sometimes, I think there might be some rationale behind it.

On the case of the garden hose, I always felt that the center of gravity caused them to tend to flip towards the handle. Who knows? Should have had our daughter do a Science Project on it :)

I have a Roomba that invariably knows where I will be going and beats me to that area by just a few seconds so I have to step around the thing. Most annoyingly, if I coming down the stairs carrying a heavy load, it positions itself exactly where I normally would step, requiring me to awkwardly step around it or wait for it to move on. What are the odds that it would occupy the four square feet I need 50% of the time in a 500 sq foot room?

I have a Roomba that invariably knows where I will be going and beats me to that area by just a few seconds so I have to step around the thing. Most annoyingly, if I coming down the stairs carrying a heavy load, it positions itself exactly where I normally would step, requiring me to awkwardly step around it or wait for it to move on. What are the odds that it would occupy the four square feet I need 50% of the time in a 500 sq foot room?

Don't get me started on my Roomba - but since you have...:LOL: First time I pushed the start button on my Roomba, it did a quick 90, another 90 and headed down the hall to the lanai. Didn't think too much about it until I realized the door was open to allow the trades to blow through. I caught the Roomba just in time to keep it from committing suicide by plunging several stories to its (and maybe a human's) death.:popcorn:

Now, years later, many times I've seriously considered pushing the start button, opening that door to the lanai and going to take a shower!:facepalm:

OK, I'm changing my technique!

But if the choice of cashiers, is a man or a hideous woman, I'm going with the woman.

Muir,
I swear if I need a Phillips screwdriver, the first one I pick up out of my screwdriver drawer on my toolbox is a standard, and Visa versa.
I'm almost comforted by this now.
Of course I could organize the drawer better, but what fun is that?
JP

All my std screwdrivers are put in the drawer handle at the front of the drawer, the Phillips screwdriver handles are at the back of the drawer. The working ends are opposite each other. I rarely had a problem picking out the one I wanted. That plan worked pretty good for years until I added some Pozi-drive screwdrivers and Torx drivers. :facepalm:

All my std screwdrivers are put in the drawer handle at the front of the drawer, the Phillips screwdriver handles are at the back of the drawer. The working ends are opposite each other. I rarely had a problem picking out the one I wanted. That plan worked pretty good for years until I added some Pozi-drive screwdrivers and Torx drivers. :facepalm:

I used to put ALL the handles at the back. Then, DW rearranged them. I give up! YMMV

I gave, or she bought, I really can't remember which, her own small toolbox which she keeps in the house. Screwdrivers, pliers, tape measure, a small claw hammer, etc that I have used in a pinch. Turnabout is fair play. :cool:

I recently painted the shafts of all my Phillips screwdrivers white, to identify them.

Back
Top Bottom