9/11/11

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Ten years later. Thoughts?

I still remember virtually every minute of that day. I wish I didn't.

I could see the smoke from the towers while at work. 3 people I knew died there that day, one was DD's BFF's Dad NYFD.

Till this day I still can't believe it all happened.

I watched the towers ablaze on tv and thought that sprinklers and NYFD would put the fire out and most people could escape. But when the towers collapsed, I was stunned. I've been flying the flag every day since. I frequently think about the events of 9-11 and our armed forces that are sacrificing their lives to protect our country from terrorism. An attack of that magnitude on home soil will be difficult to forget.

Last edited:
I don't know what there is to say that hasn't been said many times over the past ten years.

I have 9/11 fatigue.

I have 9/11 fatigue.

I do too. I also have fatigue from stock market worries, hurricanes, flooding, earthquakes, politics and 24/7 cable [-]news[/-] blues.

I have 9/11 fatigue.

I find that disturbing but understandable on some level. I just hope our security personnel do not share your condition. I would hope they would be made to view the "accidental" documentary by James Hanlon and Jules and Gedeon Naude on 9/11 each and every year. For those interested it will be shown on CBS Sunday at 8PM EDT.

I have 9/11 fatigue.

I saw this article a couple of days ago about New Yorkers: Decade after September 11, New Yorkers ready to move on - Yahoo! News

Some people such as Gennaro Esposito, a Manhattan butcher, say they are tired of ceremonies such as Sunday's.
"Every year it's the same thing. They just don't seem to let it rest," said Esposito, 47. "Let the dead rest and let it be done. They are constantly reminding us so it's hard to move on. Let the dead rest and let New Yorkers move on."

I saw this article a couple of days ago about New Yorkers: Decade after September 11, New Yorkers ready to move on - Yahoo! News

I think many of us in the DC area want to move on too. It's just so hard. Coverage every year - especially now with the 10th anniversary upon us. I was working close to the Pentagon that day so it hit close to home. Plus the recent news of possible terrorist activity in DC and NY. :(

Tomorrow I'm going to lunch with a friend then we're hitting the big cat show in Chantilly, Va. Don't think it will be high on the list of potential targets. Hope not anyway. I'm sure I'll tune into some of the coverage tomorrow evening. Even though in many ways I'm sick of it, I still want to remember and reflect. It changed my world.

Last edited:
Something I saved from the Washington Post from shortly after 9/11. We should remember the first responders. I'm still in awe of what they did.

Attachments

• NY fireman.jpg
    NY fireman.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 3
10 days after hell in downtown Manhattan...you didn't have to be a New Yorker to feel the American spirit at Shea Stadium.
So many people from so many states and countries came to our aid. Thank you again. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=AvMmAJfO-pk

This is one of the most touching tributes I ever saw. No words were necessary.

Last edited:
My son joined the Army a few years after the tragedy. He did a tour in Afghanistan, and saw a couple of friends ( one was real close to him ) die.

I am proud of him, and proud of all the men & women in our Armed Forces that risk their lives and futures even now, 10 years later, to protect us from such a horror happening here again.

May we never forget............fatigue or not.

I still have photo files from structural stability inspections from ground zero but haven't look at it or thought about it. I tried to forget the smoldering flashes and smell for past 10 years. It still feels like it was yesterday. That's why I don't watch much TV except sports.

That Bud commercial brings all my thoughts together. I can't watch it anymore without it bringing tears.

My nephew is scheduled to go to Afghanistan this December. He's a Navy pilot - in his 30s. Married with 3 kids. I’ve lost count of how many times he’s been sent to Iraq and Afghanistan. A large part of his adult life has been devoted to the effort. Here he is. Love him.

Attachments

• Nephew KI.jpg
    Nephew KI.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I was in NYC that day, about 3 miles north of the towers. It was a truly surreal - lots of confusion and fear about what the heck was going on - I guess that is what terrorism is.

I was amazed that the towers collapsed. I recall hearing that about 50,000 people worked in the twin towers and thought that the casualties would be in the tens of thousands. Our firm lost 5 people that day (on the planes).

I recall how in the days immediately after the tragedy how patriotic and helpful people were. I wish we could somehow capture that spirit again.

I remember walking to work through Times Square on the morning of Sept 12 and how truly empty Times Square was compared to the normal hustle and bustle of the area. Surreal.

God Bless America.

I see no need to "move on". That is just a trendy phrase. Did the Russians move on from Borodino, or the siege of Petrograd?

Remembering these things in one's bones is what makes a Nation, as opposed to a conglomeration of consumers. Admittedly, USA is closer to loosely agglomerated bunch of consumers, but that is more the pity.

One needs to forgive, to get on with the compromises required by the business of the world. But forget? Never.

Newsweek Magazine has a photo display of all the Al Quaeda that we have killed in this 10 years. It's a pretty impressive bag.

Ha

Last edited:
Remember it in my bones Ha.

Back
Top Bottom