9 things that will disappear in our lifetime

10) Some clothing items that used to be commonplace--womens' trousers that sit at the natural waistline. Full slips. Saddle shoes. :(

My mom got me PJ's for Christmas and they are cut to sit at the hip. They always feel like they need to be pulled up, but they don't have enough depth in the seat to be pulled up to the natural waist, and won't stay there anyhow. I wore out my last full slip a few years ago, and the only one I could find in the store was as I recall a real silk item that cost more than fifty bucks. Lucky for me, my mom was a home ec teacher and taught me to sew. I ended up making a slip, and if this goes on I think I'm going to be making more and more of my own clothes as time passes. So many of the clothes in stores are shoddily made and hardly worth what you pay for them anyway.

I wonder if the belles of the 1890's felt the this way when they got to be middle-aged and it became more and more difficult, and finally impossible, to buy a good corset.

Last edited:
I'd contest this one. I'm not sure about most individuals, but some will feel their privacy is their own problem and stick to local storage.
I'm one of these, but I expect that eventually having a drive you can write to in the computer will be an expensive extra, instead of standard equipment. Remember floppy and Zip drives? I bet as "the cloud" comes more and more into use, all kinds of internal drives will suffer the same fate.

10) Some clothing items that used to be commonplace--womens' trousers that sit at the natural waistline. Full slips. Saddle shoes. :(

My mom got me PJ's for Christmas and they are cut to sit at the hip. They always feel like they need to be pulled up, but they don't have enough depth in the seat to be pulled up to the natural waist, and won't stay there anyhow. I wore out my last full slip a few years ago, and the only one I could find in the store was as I recall a real silk item that cost more than fifty bucks. Lucky for me, my mom was a home ec teacher and taught me to sew. I ended up making a slip, and if this goes on I think I'm going to be making more and more of my own clothes as time passes. So many of the clothes in stores are shoddily made and hardly worth what you pay for them anyway.

I wonder if the belles of the 1890's felt the this way when they got to be middle-aged and it became more and more difficult, and finally impossible, to buy a good corset.

I just watched an Andy Griffith rerun from the later years (I'm stuck dog/apartment-sitting this week) and Aunt Bea (who was probably my age at the time) was wearing what I remember as "half sizes" dresses, designed and cut for short "mature" with no waist. Fashion will always change--as I am sitting here in jeans and a fleece hoodie marvelling at her housedress.

I think there will soon no longer be all-purpose cameras--the pro level, yes, but smart phones will take over the snapshot standalones.

Back
Top Bottom