......a new type of prescription-only fish oil has now become available.

pfpelican said:
Are you at all worried about mercury?

R_i_T: is this a legitimate worry? I'm told fish more than 2-3 times a week is dangerous.

pp

Yes, it is a legit. concern (worry?). However, I personally consult
with the State of Illinois fisheries dept. at least once per year and I
keep my consumption under the 2-3 times a week you refer to.

JG

Martha said:
Anyone know any science behind this?

I have been crabby a lot lately. :(

Martha - From my personal experience with high grade fish oil, such as Nordic Naturals, my daily roiling anxiety stemming from, ahem over 40's female stuff ::) is almost non-existent (I haven't touched xanax since starting). Also, it's worth noting, that my knees are much kinder to me since doubling my dosage a week ago.

Not all fish oil is created equal. I've tried the Long's brand, Nature's Naturals, Country Life and Radiance with results (or lack thereof) that don't even come close to Nordic Naturals.

There's all sorts of studies on fish oil used on bi-polar and ADHD patients with promising results. Sorry, I don't have the details on why fish oil has mood elevating properties.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
It's good old cod liver oil, mostly.

I am not sure what you mean here. I used to take cod liver oil, but switched to fish body oil to avoid the high levels of vitamin A.

If you know of issues of contamination, or undeclared substitution of cod liver oil for oil which is marketed as fish oil I would really like to hear about it.

Thanks
Ha

HaHa said:
I am not sure what you mean here. I used to take cod liver oil, but switched to fish body oil to avoid the high levels of vitamin A.

Check out http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_family.phtml?categid=0014. The poster mentioned only "Carlson's Oil." It looks like you can select from several products:

Here are the supplements from "fish oil" including Mackerel and Sardine (perhaps cod, too - deep cold water fish):

1 "super" capsule:
Vitamin E (as d-Alpha tocopherol) 10 IU 33%
Other Omega-3 Fatty Acids 100 mg *
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (from fish oil) 600 mg *
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 200 mg *
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid)

Here they are for cod liver oil:

3 capsules
Vitamin A 3750 IU 75%
Vitamin D3 400 IU 100%
Other Omega-3 Fatty Acids 60 mg *
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (from Cod Liver Oil) 300 mg *
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 135 mg *
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid)

Main differences appear to the the concentration per capsule, and the vitamin A content -- well within safe limits at recommended doses. Vitamin E is generally believed to be of no known specific benefit outside of amounts in a reasonable western diet, nuts, etc.. Optimal amounts are just not known. By the way, larger amounds of fish oil also affect platelets, implications not fully known.

Martha said:
Anyone know any science behind this?

I have been crabby a lot lately. :(

If you're a violent criminal, it might reduce your anger by one third:

An earlier pilot study on 30 patients with violent records found that those given omega-3 supplements had their anger reduced by one-third, measured by standard scales of hostility and irritability, regardless of whether they were relapsing and drinking again.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,,1924088,00.html

Back
Top Bottom