Adult Fun and Games

I haven't been in a gathering of grown-ups where traditional games were played, since I last played bridge 28 years ago. (Yes, I have no life).

BUT - - last Christmas Frank's nieces and nephews got a Wii with all the bells and whistles. Many of the adults joined in. That was kind of fun. :D

Wii Sports is a fun group activity.

Ya Wii is pretty fun. Made my arms sore. Im not ashamed to admit it either so nyah.. Boxing game makes you get all pumped up :p

We play Mah Jongg, Cribbage and Bridge - I have to have my Dad reteach me, though :) He loves it and so do I. I'd really like to be able to learn Bridge well.

Mexican Train dominoes is a blast.

In some places there are restaurants, golf clubs, or wherever you can find it that do trivia nights. It's a lot of fun to bring a team, it's free, and there's usually really cheap drinks.

We play Mexican Train Game at family gatherings. I have to watch the MIL because she cheats.

We play Mexican Train Game at family gatherings. I have to watch the MIL because she cheats.

What is it with MILs! Mine cheats too. But she plays it off like ohhh i didnt know. Ya im watching mine too..

Wii Sports is a fun group activity.
Yes, there were probably dozens of different sports to play. I loved it though I wasn't very good at it! Someday I might buy one. It was pretty cool.

Ya Wii is pretty fun. Made my arms sore. Im not ashamed to admit it either so nyah.. Boxing game makes you get all pumped up :p
Fun, huh? :D Seems like a good pastime for a senior citizen, snowed in during the winter, to keep active. It probably costs a fortune but that's bound to go down after a year or two.

What is it with MILs! Mine cheats too. But she plays it off like ohhh i didnt know. Ya im watching mine too..

Yea - I get the "i didnt know" stuff too. While I keep score, I also keep a tally of MIL's cheating. She cheated 26 times in one game - mainly trying to put her dominoes on someone elses train

I really enjoy Cribbage, but nobody else in my family plays.

Whenever three or more of my family get together the game is something akin to Yahtzee, but only in that it is played with dice.

You need six (6) dice to play. 1's count for 10 points. 5's count for 5 points. The ante is one quarter. You can usually play all night for less than $2.

You roll all six dice and count up your points. Then pick up whatever dice you didn't score points with. And here comes the strategy, do you keep those 5's or do you pick them up hoping to roll 1's. You must save at least one 1 or 5 every roll. If you keep all of the 1's and 5's you are now rolling fewer dice. You get three rolls. If at the end of three rolls ALL of your dice are 1's or 5's you get to pick them up and roll all six again. If on any roll you don't get at least one 1 or 5 your turn is over.

You need 65 pts to open. After you are open you need at least 35 points to hold and take the points you've rolled so far. If you roll 50 pts but just have to roll that last single dice and don't get a 1 or a 5 you lose the points and your turn.

The only time that anything other than a 1 or a 5 counts is if you happen to roll three of a kind. In that case you score 10x's the value. Three 2's is 20 pts, three 4's is 40, three 1's would be 100 pts, etc.

Only when rolling all 6 dice:
If you roll a straight; 1,2,3,4,5, and 6 then you get 150 pts plus a quarter from everyone playing the game. If you roll three pair you get 75 pts. As both require six dice you of course get to roll all six dice again. If, rolling all six dice after either of these rolls you fail to roll at least one 1 or 5 you lose the points and your turn. If you were rolling after a straight and fail you also have to give back all those quarters you collected.

The game ends when somebody reaches over 1000 points. BUT WAIT, there is one final bit of strategy!! Because everybody gets one final turn after you have broken 1000 you want to be sure your score is out of reach of those chasing you. I have seen someone lose to the person in LAST place when she rolled two straights in a row followed by three 1's for a total of 400 pts. The leader had figured that nobody would score over 200 to catch him, and certainly not over 350 as my wife needed to do. Incidentally, those are the ONLY straights my wife has ever rolled playing this game!!

WARNINGS: This game is VERY addictive and can lead to staying up past your bedtime. And the people you are playing with begin to exhibit strange behaviours. They start to talk, beg, plead, and swear at their dice. People you never knew believed in such things start throwing hexes on each others dice. They will not allow ANYONE to touch their dice for fear of damaging the mojo. They begin to have imaginary helpers at the table. My brother Tom has a helper named Ralph. EVERYONE in my family hates Ralph because he has a REALLY annoying habit of coming through for Tom at the most inopportune times.

This game should carry a warning from the Surgeon General, not that anyone in my family would listen.

I second Wii sports. People of every age group seem to enjoy it! My 65 Year old MIL who is "not at all into video games" seem to really enjoy it, so much so, that when we start playing with the Wii, we can't get rid of her anymore!

I'll third the Wii. My wife bought me one for our anniversary last August.

Aerosmith will have a guitar hero edition out real soon too.

Back
Top Bottom