Advice on the best way to check your credit report

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DH and I haven't done this in years and think it's a good idea to do so. What's the best way to check your credit report? We've heard there are bogus sites out there for this, so thought we'd check with the experts here.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/order

From the FTC - http://www.ftc.gov/freereports

AnnualCreditReport.com is the ONLY authorized source for the free annual credit report that's yours by law. The Fair Credit Reporting Act guarantees you access to your credit report for free from each of the three nationwide credit reporting companies — Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion — every 12 months. The Federal Trade Commission has received complaints from consumers who thought they were ordering their free annual credit report, and yet couldn't get it without paying fees or buying other services. TV ads, email offers, or online search results may tout "free" credit reports, but there is only one authorized source for a truly free credit report.

Thanks Zig. Follow up question. Anyone frozen their credit file so no accounts can be opened? I've heard this may be a good idea for people who borrow or open up credit accounts infrequently.

Thanks Zig. Follow up question. Anyone frozen their credit file so no accounts can be opened? I've heard this may be a good idea for people who borrow or open up credit accounts infrequently.
I've heard some people have done it. I know it's something that Clark Howard sometimes recommends to callers.

We did it when some tax reporting documents got lost in the mail and we suspected them stolen. It was straightforward to do - and we got our credit reports at the same time. As far as I understood, the credit freeze would only last for 6 months.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom